Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Fardragon said:

Are all' the races, classes and backgrounds from the PHB going to bè in the vanilla game or only few of them Will bè avaiable?

It's not even officially confirmed as a D&D game yet...
    Yes it is.
  • AbathornAbathorn Member Posts: 17
    When have they cofirmed is a D&D?

I am just asking I haven't seen it.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    There have been a handful of posts in the past confirming that they where working on something D&D related, both by Beamdog and Wizards of the Coast.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,655
    I would love for WOTC to give you permission to use the Infinity Engine to explore other DnD worlds unrelated to Baldurs Gate.

Infinity Engine Dragonlance? Infinity Engine DARK SUN? Hell to the yes.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I would love for WOTC to give you permission to use the Infinity Engine to explore other DnD worlds unrelated to Baldurs Gate.

Infinity Engine Dragonlance? Infinity Engine DARK SUN? Hell to the yes.

Infinity engine Ravenloft! I'd love a dread golem NPC.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

There have been a handful of posts in the past confirming that they where working on something D&D related, both by Beamdog and Wizards of the Coast.

Which is not official confirmation. Heavy hints, yes. Probably this project, yes. But it could refer to a different project, a hypothetical project or a cancelled project.
    Fardragon said:

Which is not official confirmation. Heavy hints, yes. Probably this project, yes. But it could refer to a different project, a hypothetical project or a cancelled project.
    Back in October, they posted a job for tablet QA testers in the Edmonton area.

That job posting said, "upcoming D&D game," and was a three month contract. Figuring a closed beta is starting soon, they are on schedule to release this D&D game, and not some other project. I take information released in job postings as official confirmation.
    deltago said:

So with the new job posting (https://www.beamdog.com/jobs/7):

1. we know that the game will be D&D related.
    2. Alpha testing will probably go until January (3 month contract), so Summer 2017 release maybe?
    3. Will run (and be released) on both Android and Apple Tablets

not much, but eh.

• AbathornAbathorn Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, but is not official or confirmed information.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Abathorn said:

Yeah, but is not official or confirmed information.

We probably won't get anything solid until they're actually ready for release. And any beta testers will probably have to sign a NDA.
    > Has been officially confirmed Beamdog is working on D&D stuff multiple times.
    > It's not officially confirmed.

Why do I even bother :)
    edited December 2016
    deltago said:

I take information released in job postings as official confirmation.

Which is extremely unwise. Many projects are started. Only a fraction lead published games. What that fraction is is hard to say, since we usually only hear of 'cancelled' projects if the cancellation occurs after the official anouncement.

Yes, we know that Beamdog have worked on a D&D project (possibly more than one) in recient months, and the game that now needs testing is the product. But the lack of an official anouncement is important for several reasons. One of which that the announcement will include some information about what will actually be in the game. Untill then, we can only specuate. Personally, I think it very unlikely that all races, classes and backgrounds will be included, but not even the beta testers, if they broke the NDA, know for sure, since a) content could be cut; b) content could be added and c) the beta test hasn't started yet.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    I am not gonna browse through four different twitter accounts and half of the forums just to find the posts again that make it absolutely obvious that the current game has to be D&D related :V

You will learn soon enough that we where right. Tüdelü ~

I am not gonna browse through four different twitter accounts and half of the forums just to find the posts again that make it absolutely obvious that the current game has to be D&D related :V

You will learn soon enough that we where right. Tüdelü ~

Sure, that is almost certainly the case. But it still isn't the same as an official announcement. Without an official anouncement, there is no official feature list, so no one knows if the final game will include "feature x", not even the people working on it. Another reason for not making an official anouncment is if there is still uncertainty over when, or if, the game will be released. Never count your chickens before they are hatched.
    I never said anything about certain features being included or not.
    I just said it's obvious that the game has to be D&D related.
    But whatever you say, mate.
    @semiticgod
    But will there be crafting? I also need permadeath and there better be hats or I will start a petition >:V
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Buttercheese: I think they have a bard hat you might like...

semiticgod
    But will there be crafting? I also need permadeath and there better be hats or I will start a petition >:V

Yes! You can even craft a hat that causes permadeath if worn by a puppy. Very graphic with the oculus rift though.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I am looking forward to finding out more info on this new project when they decide to release something solid.
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140

based on cuddling virtual puppies.

Don't you dare tease me such.

• MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2017
    Now I know Beamdog probably never would (or could) do this, but is anyone able to give me a qualified estimate of how much work a conversion of (for instance) NWN1 (original scenario) from Aurora to Infinity and AD&D 2nd ed. would require, percentage wise? I mean they have the story, all the dialogue, a lot of character art, sound and probably other useful bits and pieces too :-)

Still, I guess they would have to recreate all the areas from the ground up, adapt the quests and the battles to fit with a group instead of a solo character, and so on. There is also a lot of details regarding banter between the different NPCs. But how much is that, I wonder, all in all? 50 percent compared to creating a whole new game of an equivalent scale? More? Less? Completely implausible or impractical?

(and I'm not really taking into account the quality of the game, which I never even finished, since I always found myself going back to isometric and the familiarity of BG. Regard this as my wondering how likely it was for Beamdog IF they were able/allowed to do so to get a game rather quickly done)
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited January 2017
    Miridor said:

Now I know Beamdog probably never would (or could) do this, but is anyone able to give me a qualified estimate of how much work a conversion of (for instance) NWN1 (original scenario) from Aurora to Infinity and AD&D 2nd ed. would require, percentage wise? I mean they have the story, all the dialogue, a lot of character art, sound and probably other useful bits and pieces too :-)

The technical debt in such a project is enormous... Ooof. Not to mention the fact that the Aurora Engine is quite frankly much more robust and technically sound than the Infinity Engine, due to technical advancements from 1998 to 2002. (4 years is a long time when it comes to technical advancement.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare#Infinity_Engine
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare#Aurora_Engine
    Making NWN:EE is insane on so many levels, where do I even start.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Miridor said:

Still, I guess they would have to recreate all the areas from the ground up, adapt the quests and the battles to fit with a group instead of a solo character, and so on. There is also a lot of details regarding banter between the different NPCs. But how much is that, I wonder, all in all? 50 percent compared to creating a whole new game of an equivalent scale? More? Less? Completely implausible or impractical?

(and I'm not really taking into account the quality of the game, which I never even finished, since I always found myself going back to isometric and the familiarity of BG. Regard this as my wondering how likely it was for Beamdog IF they were able/allowed to do so to get a game rather quickly done)

NwN works better with 3rd editions.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2017
    Can we expect "no delay" between the Beamdog/Steam/Gog version of the game and the mobile version? I mean, this wasn't the case for SoD because of the 64-bit code and the like. Things are gonna be different this time, right?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Luke93 I doubt it, Beamdog is a small team.