Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

You can do Unity games on tablets - see Shadowrun Returns.

(Why the PoE devs decided to do a game in this isometric style and not let it run on tablets is anybody's guess.)

So, modern engine + 5E + runs on tablets is very much a possibility.

Baator yeah!!!
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Luke93 said:

What about now ?

Luke93 said:

What about now ?

Hey ya!

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I'd be happy with PST EE. I never played it back in the day and missed out on a classIc.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Let's hope then that it's a new thing.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited February 2017
    What about now?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    What about now?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Bigfish said:

I'd be happy with PST EE. I never played it back in the day and missed out on a classIc.

If you get a copy from GoG, it will work on modern systems: https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I own the GoG version... unfortunately it crashed a lot in my previous notebook... Anyway Planescape was quite buggy and I would love to have someone hunting down and destroying all the original bugs. As I said a long time ago in another thread I couldn't even finish my first Planescape run because it crashed to desktop when I fired the first cannon.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    mlnevese said:

I own the GoG version... unfortunately it crashed a lot in my previous notebook... Anyway Planescape was quite buggy and I would love to have someone hunting down and destroying all the original bugs. As I said a long time ago in another thread I couldn't even finish my first Planescape run because it crashed to desktop when I fired the first cannon.

I've only been able to finish PS:T once due to a very thorough auto-save function. The game crashed a lot. An EE-version would certainly be welcome.

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    My own PST version (original discs - not GOG) causes a lot of trouble on my system ranging from visual glitches to freezes or crashes unless I apply some experimental exe patches. But then again, every IE game (except BG2 for some reason) has more or less annoying issues on my system. I would love to see the remaining IE titles as Enhanced Editions. It would also mean lots of new modding opportunities.
    edited February 2017

Bigfish said:

If you get a copy from GoG, it will work on modern systems: https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment
    Modern PC systems - not iOS or Android. I bought it, but playing PS:T (which already has crappy controls) in WINE on macOS is a pretty miserable experience. I haven't been able to get though it.
    Yes...well, can't have your cake and eat it too. But, to be frank, PST from GoG should play on any computer from the last 5 years. It's not that resource heavy. If you don't have a $300 laptop (or something similar)... /shrug
    mlnevese said:

Did you install these mods? That should fix 90% of the issues.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Bigfish said:

Modern PC systems - not iOS or Android. I bought it, but playing PS:T (which already has crappy controls) in WINE on macOS is a pretty miserable experience. I haven't been able to get though it.
    Yes...well, can't have your cake and eat it too. But, to be frank, PST from GoG should play on any computer from the last 5 years. It's not that resource heavy. If you don't have a $300 laptop (or something similar)... /shrug

The game's (Ps:T) engine is just outright bugged on Wine, no matter how much winetricks packages, different configs, settings and mods, the game still randomly crashes, and has it's good share of bugs as well. It's not a performance issue, I can run *anything* on Wine, let alone natively. It's just that the game crashes.
    edited February 2017

ItMs not a question of resources, it's just... bad. Mouse movement is ever-so-slightly different, it only plays in full-screen, in a super/pixelated resolution; and game's controls were not good to begin with. It looks like IE, it is IE, so I play like I play Baldur's Gate... but when I instinctively right-click to move, it instead brings up that horrible little wheel thing. It's hard to try to undo that muscle memory.

I can probably install it onto my virtual WinXP machine that I used to use to mod BGT; then it could be "windowed" (full screen in the OS, but the virtual machine windowed) and the mouse would work better. But still, cracking open a 4.5-pound laptop and playing with a trackpad, even a new and very good game, is just so much less pleasurable than playing a game I've already played on a tablet... that it doesn't make sense to spend precious free time on the less pleasurable activity.

While I can't speak for using WINE (although I have used it in the past and loathed it), I can say that having the mods I linked above (here again for emphasis: mods) should fix most of those things. Even with a Windows PC and with a copy from GoG, you really need those mods. For right now, the best we have is to use those mods.
    As far as tablet use, not trying to be a dick, but we make certain choices with what we use to play things. If you like using a tablet for IE games, that's fine. (Btw, USB mouse, bro! USB MOUSE! Don't use a trackpad. Ugh...) However, we know certain things are going to be a reality, due to the choice of gaming medium we use.

Now, could Beamdog make PST:EE? In terms of technical capability, I'm sure they can. What we don't know (and it's none of business to know the details, although I think we can make an educated guess in general terms) is whether it is a good business decision for Beamdog to do so. And before anyone goes, "Well, lots of people would love it if Beamdog released PST:EE!" (including this guy *points to self*), consider that Beamdog has to consider what would make them the most money. Also, consider that Wizards of the Coast is likely pushing them to make a 5th Edition D&D game, not make reworks of old games.
    CrevsDaak said:

The game's (Ps:T) engine is just outright bugged on Wine, no matter how much winetricks packages, different configs, settings and mods, the game still randomly crashes, and has it's good share of bugs as well. It's not a performance issue, I can run *anything* on Wine, let alone natively. It's just that the game crashes.

Um, how is that not a performance issue? If a game crashes, that's a huge performance issue.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2017
    Mornmagor said:

I totally agree with you.
    I've never played Ps:T but if its gameplay often focuses on the resolution of quests through dialogue rather than combat, and many of the game's combat encounters can be resolved or avoided through dialogue or stealth, then I'll probably won't like it...... (There are books if one is just interested in very deep storylines, like the ones written by Ken Follett :) ......)

I mean, I'd like to play a game with a rich story but also with extremely difficult combat encounters.....
    I do think this upcoming game will be a very good mix of both these two components ( moreover, let us take into account that Beamdog was looking for adventurers, warriors, rogues, wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, monks and shamans for testing this new game.....)

I can say that having the mods I linked above (here again for emphasis: mods) should fix most of those things. Even with a Windows PC and with a copy from GoG, you really need those mods. For right now, the best we have is to use those mods.

It might be anecdotal evidence, but even with those mods (following that specific guide), PS:T was a crashfest for me (on Windows 7 and Windows 10).

CrevsDaak said:

Um, how is that not a performance issue? If a game crashes, that's a huge performance issue.
    Uhm, do you know what performance is? How is a 15 years old game able to have "performance issues" on a 2015 laptop with an i7 processor and eight gigabytes of RAM? If the game tries to access an invalid memory location and crashes doing so, it's not a performance issue. As I've said before, I've tried out everything, but it still happens.
    edited February 2017
    CrevsDaak said:

Uhm, do you know what performance is? How is a 15 years old game able to have "performance issues" on a 2015 laptop with an i7 processor and eight gigabytes of RAM? If the game tries to access an invalid memory location and crashes doing so, it's not a performance issue. As I've said before, I've tried out everything, but it still happens.

/facepalm

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...CRASHING is a performance issue. It's an issue where it fails to perform as expected, aka "a performance issue". Now, quit trying to argue semantics; you're not doing it well.

It might be anecdotal evidence, but even with those mods (following that specific guide), PS:T was a crashfest for me (on Windows 7 and Windows 10).

Fair enough. I mean, old games don't always work well on newer systems, as we all know.

• switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited February 2017
    I can confirm that PST is unstable on Windows 7 decent laptop. I'm in the middle of playthrough and it crashes once in a while with some memory message IIRC, but not that often (maybe 5 times in last several hours). I'm playing without any mods though, didn't even bother to install fixpack.

CrevsDaak said:

/facepalm

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...CRASHING is a performance issue. It's an issue where it fails to perform as expected, aka "a performance issue". Now, quit trying to argue semantics; you're not doing it well.
    Are you being serious? If the game crashes because of a bug in the engine, it's not a performance issue.
    Looking at your posts, I think you two are working with different definitions of "performance".
    edited February 2017

The mods/fixes are all good, but they can't be installed in the GOG OS X version (even with my excellent Weidu launcher utility :wink: )

Dang Mac OS X, not accepting Weidu... :|

Same with Civ6... why stick us with the kindergarten version, Sid Meier?? There's absolutely no reason you can't have a 4X game with deep, satisfying gameplay on a modern tablet.

Civ 6 loads a crapton of resources, even on my pretty solid desktop. I mean, I probably spent about $2000 on just the tower, so it's not high end. But it's no slouch machine either. I can play a lot of new AAA games on Ultra Settings without issues. But Civ 6, depending on map size, takes a pretty big chunk of resources.

I'm not surprised that the tablet version is gimped. I also suspect Sid Meier doesn't take tablets seriously.

So, I think an EE version would be a very good thing for PST. I think more of these great old games being updated and introduced to modern audiences is good for the whole genre.

I agree completely. I just can see how Beamdog can't, from a business perspective, make PST: EE yet. Whether they will or not, we will see... I hope they do. :)

Would it specifically make money for Beamdog? I certainly hope so. Does it serve my narrow selfish purpose to drum up support and give Beamdog the impression that it would be successful? Well, sure... :wink:

I will point out these facts:
    - Torment: ToN is coming out so there's some free press exposure to be had if the timing is right
    - Beamdog said they are working on 3 projects: big/medium/small. A full brand new game would have to be the big project, but a new game in a new ruleset on a new engine, in the short turnaround time we've seen, seems unlikely to be feasible.
    - The 'small' project almost certainly has to be the 2.4 patch for BGEE/SoD/BG2EE.
    - I vaguely recall that some modder was working on a TC inserting the PS:T game into the EE engine. I saw screenshots. Then all of a sudden the project dropped off the radar. Let's remember that this is more or less exactly how we got IWDEE.
    - PST is after all an Infinity Engine game, and even if the engine is a distinct variant, I have to believe that converting it to the EE engine has to be easier and more efficient, and thus potentially more profitable, than starting from scratch. Maybe it's not a home run, but sells enough copies to keep them comfortably afloat while they work on the new game. Like you say, I don't know much about their financial situation or potential sales projections. But my gut tells me this makes sense.

Anyway that's the case for PSTEE. Likely it's a fantasy... but we'll see soon enough.

I can't disagree with any of the points here. It's just, well... companies have to make decisions based on "Cost vs. Benefit", so we're not going to see PST: EE unless the benefit is there. I think it should be, but I don't have access to the metrics and market research that Beamdog does. ;)
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    It still amazes me how some people think tablets can't be taken seriously for a gaming platform. Considering the nvidia shield tablet and the amount of good pc game ports, Imperium galactica 2, shadow run, don't starve tp name a few.

Plus the well supported ppsspp and psx2 emulation.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    Wesboi said:

It still amazes me how some people think tablets can't be taken seriously for a gaming platform. Considering the nvidia shield tablet and the amount of good pc game ports, Imperium galactica 2, shadow run, don't starve tp name a few.

wheres my Vita version of EE games though :'(
    Wesboi said:

The problem is, a tablet has certain hardware. It's going to have X, Y, & Z components. Some developers don't release certain games on tablets, because they typically aren't as powerful. Just because a few ports of old games or a few new games that don't use a lot of resources are a thing, that doesn't mean every developer wants to deal with the technical challenges/limitation of a tablet.
  • LooxLoox Member Posts: 18
    Luke93 said:

Mornmagor said:

( moreover, let us take into account that Beamdog was looking for adventurers, warriors, rogues, wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, monks and shamans for testing this new game.....)
    That's a very good point. Unlikely to be Planescape Torment then.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    The thing is tablets have been so overrun with App-Store's in-app-purchase, cheap-to-produce shovelware that people are wary of dropping the money on games unless it's kids spending mommy and daddies money without a care or people piling on the latest mobile game fad.

The hardware in phones and tablets these days is amazing. The problem is we haven't had a good, quality controller case for playing old controller based games, and games that would benefit from a touch screen don't take advantage with a few notable exceptions. You get good handhelds like the Vita and 3DS that end up not being appealing gaming machines (from a port everything to it perspective) because you either have to hack them to get around DRM practices, or there are hardware issues like the Vita's proprietary super expensive memory.

Maybe that will change with the Switch coming out soon, but we'll see. I'm sure the Switch will be the same buy-your-virtual-console-games-again business, but if it's succesful maybe we'll see more people developing for tablets.

The other side of all this is that modern developers tend to be absolutely terrible at optimizing their programs. A lot of games you can look at and say "eh, we've been seeing this level of stuff for years" but because their resource management is crap they're just pushing your hardware more which limits what they can port down to.

Honestly the whole thing with touch screens feels like VR to me, in that there is so much that would benefit from a strong common ground being built in to operating systems/engines that at some point ports would be easier by virtue of not having to code everything from scratch. Thing is MS is getting so intrusive and closed with every new windows version that windows 7 still has a bunch of hold outs.