Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited February 2017
    The other thing to remember about tablets is that the CPU architecture itself can vary. This isn't just a difference in kernel, like going between Linux and OS X and Windows, I'm talking the actual processor itself. Different architectures report errors to the kernel differently, so an error report on an Android will look different from an error report in a desktop Linux, even if they're using the same kernel version, because of fundamental hardware differences. Similarly, debugging on the assembly level will yield different results depending on what architecture you're debugging from because each architecture has different opcodes. Any SMW hacker that uses ASM will tell you that it's a headache just debugging that one architecture that the Super Nintendo uses.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2017
    Back to the topic:

"Are we gonna play something now? C'mon, maybe? Something small... anything!"
    "Boring. Boring. BorIIING!"
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Which gets back to my original point; tablets are actually pretty damn powerful these days, and computers are a class beyond that.

It's not the power. It's the variances in tablet architecture. If I'm developing for a PC, I'm 90% sure that, regardless of processor brand, the architecture is going to be x86. A tablet could have an ARM processor, though. That's a game changer. And that's just talking about the processor.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @rapsam2003 anymore it would be an x64, not an x86. Beyond that no arguments here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2017

@rapsam2003 But it seems far easier these days to code stuff for multiple platforms and architectures.

Actually, as someone who works for a company that codes for multiple platforms, it's more work than you'd think. Is it less work today than yesteryear? Maybe. But it's not a simple matter, dude - even with all the great tools available these days. The reason companies do it is because they believe it's worth the cost, that the benefit will be greater in the end.

Also, a port is NOT the same as coding a game. A port isn't "simple", but it's less work than a whole game.
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Fardragon said:

To summerise: the amount of garbage on the app store undermines the entire quality game market on mobile platforms.

100% true. But if quality game developers retreat from the platform, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@rapsam2003 But it seems far easier these days to code stuff for multiple platforms and architectures. Probably because the hardware is so powerful that there's more room for performance inefficiency to make up for coding convenience. I mean, people like Beamdog know better than anyone, they took a game designed for Win98/Win2000, and have it running on multiple x64 and ARM platforms, and it doesn't have any of the janky visual or performance of a game running in WINE. I assume there is not so much an emulation layer, but a compatibility layer in which the original single-platform code is running. And the hardware is strong enough that it seems native.

So you have BG(2)EE/IWDEE, and you also have Bastion and Transistor, and Shadowrun Returns, and Civ Revolutions, and Broken Age... a bunch of high-quality games that were built and released for multiple platforms and architectures. A certain class of game can't do this, because they just don't have the performance overhead to spare - or the design of the game itself is specific to a single UI mechanism. But it strikes me that a game like PoE could have been in this category without too much trouble. And older games can be perfect for it - thus the recent ports of classics like BGEE, KOTOR, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, the Final Fantasy series, and more.
    And Ultimate MvC 3 is coming to Steam!
    Bigfish said:

I'd be happy with PST EE. I never played it back in the day and missed out on a classIc.

Theres GoG for that.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367

Bigfish said:

I'd be happy with PST EE. I never played it back in the day and missed out on a classIc.

Theres GoG for that.
    I know, but at this point it's not worth the trouble of messing with given that I'd have to install an HD mod and I've got a huge backlog of games I don't have to fiddle with. That and I don't want to drop the cash and then have to buy an EE, which given my timing in things like this, would probably happen within a week.
    Have you ever considered making KOTOR 3 ?
    HK-47 for everyone!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2017
    Can i ask, when can we expect to learn something about the "new project"?

It's been about 10 months since we know something is in the works, but have no idea what.

Still though, considering the time frame, and the tablet thing, i would guess it's not something entirely new.

I hope i'm wrong though o.o
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I too am hungry for more of the awesome.

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I hope
    Mornmagor said:

''We shall see''.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235

Mornmagor said:

''We shall see''.

In all fairness I have no clue about developmental timelines for games, but the fact that there is a (closed) beta is a good sign, right?
    Sjerrie said:

In all fairness I have no clue about developmental timelines for games, but the fact that there is a (closed) beta is a good sign, right?

As someone who has worked on professional software, a successful beta release usually means you release the product shortly thereafter.

''When its done.''
    dunbar said:

@Kamigoroshi "Now-now" is actually a real 'thing'. Specifically it is a South African measurement of time, as in:

"I'll do it now-now" - means I'll do it now.
    As opposed to:
    "I'll do it just now" - means I'll try to get around to it within the next hour or so.
    Or:
    "I'll do it now" - actually means that I'll do it sometime today, maybe.

Whatever your Plan is, do It Now!
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Maybe if we keep asking we'll get an announcement of an announcement of an announcement?
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Maybe there is no project and it's an April's fool joke and I've ruined the reveal on April the 1st.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Wesboi said:

Maybe there is no project and it's an April's fool joke and I've ruined the reveal on April the 1st.

I highly doubt that, honestly.
  • ErstarrungErstarrung Member Posts: 51
    Bigfish said:

Maybe if we keep asking we'll get an announcement of an announcement of an announcement?

Yes... soon.
    So, it is March: time for some great announcements I guess......
    Luke93 said:

So, it is March: time for some great announcements I guess......

Baator yeah, Marvel vs Capcom 3 is gonna be released on Steam.