Skip to content

So, which other games would you recommend?

raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
edited November 2016 in Off-Topic
Since we're all so obviously attached to the same game(s), by which I mean the entire BG saga and its spinoffs, it would be interesting to know which other games you would recommend playing? I'm just curious to see if I've missed out on something great, and I guess this community would be the ones to know just that.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I thoroughly enjoy The Bards Tale. Cary Elwes doing the lead voice is fantastic. I play on the tablet when I am out, or on Bluestacks when on the PC.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovMathsorcerer
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Depends on what you're seeking in a game, really.

If you're looking for the traditional fantasy genre:
    Drakensang (not to be confused with the MMO Drakensang Online), as well as its sequel Drakensang: River of Time, are very solid cRPG's of The Dark Eye franchise. One could say it resembles somewhat BG1, minus the bhaalspawns that is. Reviews of boths games were mostly highly positive on steam and amazon alike. Two Worlds and Two Worlds II are two other less known gems worth noting for its high fantasy open world setting.

If you're open for a fantasy mix between magic and technology:
    Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura will be your best bet in that fantasy genre. Although Grim Dawn is a close second when you have a soft spot for the post-apocalytic subgenre. And if you're open for fantasy adventure games as well, then Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey will keep you happy for a very long time. That one has gorgeous graphics as well.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Both nights of the old republic games are pretty great.
    Neverwinter Nights 1 expansions and Neverwinter Nights 2 are pretty good as well.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It depends what you like really. I have played a great many excellent games other than the BG family.
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2016
    SethDavis said:

you don't need any games other than the Prince of Persia games... none... not even ours... I'm gonna go play Prince of Persia now....

Much wisdom in Persia unravelled you have, young padawan @SethDavis, but study Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider: Legend as well you should. Once fully the ways of the Triune Climb you understand, the Fourth not just with you but within find you will :smirk:

Games to recommend you ask?
    Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things.
    But adventure and excitement they have. From Masters Kyle Katarn and Bastila Shan this lesson you should learn.

Many great games there are, but of them all in Master Yoga voice speak no more I wish.
    JuliusBorisovSethDavisCrevsDaak
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2016
    Yes! I can't recommend Albion enough.

*EDIT* Oh, I want to add King of Dragonpass here. Its not an rpg so much as, uh, a village running sim/visual novel thing/fantasy game? Its very easy to get stuck in a loop of "Just one more turn". It boasts some gorgeous artwork and pretty deep and interesting lore, as you try to keep a pseudo viking esque community alive. The setting includes sentient dinosaurs and warrior duck people alongside the more standard fantasy fare like trolls or dragons. Not many games let your army ride out mounted upon Triceratops.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakSouthpaw
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tyranny is a recent game worth checking out.
    VallmyrJuliusBorisovGallengerCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you like turn based gaming then there are plenty of good options, e.g. heroes of might and magic series, civilisation series, alpha centauri. For a 1st person perspective on RPG you could give the Elder Scrolls games a go.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Mankind Divided
    JuliusBorisovSethDavisCrevsDaak
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    edited November 2016
    Call of Duty? Maybe Battlefield?

Baldur's Gate is pretty much the only game in this category I play, but as other has said, maybe you should give Tyranny a try? I haven't got around to test it myself but maybe I will someday. Some would say PoE, haven't played that either.

Another good game on my recommendation list that is RPG is Witcher 3, I love that game. It is not turn-based however.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As a lifelong fan of BG2, I can recommend no game more strongly than Undertale. It's a joyous life experience, and easily the best game I've ever played.

I still listen to the music on the way to work; it brings up so many beautiful memories.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FinneousPJThacoBellJuliusBorisovcbarker15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    peope have already said some games i would

so for something more recent i recommend oxenfree. it's a more story based adventure game made by former telltale writers and it was great.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2016
    Temple of Elemental Evil (early 2000 I believe, available on GoG). A superb implementation of 3E D&D. Very different from BG as it is completely turn-based. Make sure you install the Circle of Eight Mod because the vanilla game is very buggy and the Mod adds a lot of cool stuff. Too bad the game is not as open and big as BG. If they could somehow make the BG saga with the rules of ToEE it would be unspeakably awesome. Rangers with actual ranger skills! Thieves who can pickpocket a Balor! Bards with actual bard songs!

CrevsDaakKamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Steel Panthers when I want to get my wargame on. Alpha Centauri when I really want to ascend to godhood. Civilization V when I want to conquer the world with music.
    CrevsDaak
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Grim Dawn.
    CrevsDaak
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Tyranny and Divinity: look very good at a first glance, I'll admit.
    Tarlugn said:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Yes. Oh God, yes.

CrevsDaak
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Project zomboid

Another small company with a great game:

https://projectzomboid.com