Skip to content

Grim Deeds to Come... (BG:EE SoD Steam Achievement)

CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
edited September 2016 in Troubleshooting
Has anyone had this pop? If so, where/when?

I'm 128/129 Achievements and frustrated.

If anyone has questions about other achievements, hit me up!

http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23918

Comments

• AtroposAtropos Member Posts: 18
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. I'm worried that because of some of the studio departures fixing Steam achievements may be a really low priority at the moment.

I would love to know how you managed to get You Chose ... Poorly to unlock. I've tried and tried at that encounter but can't get it to trigger no matter what I do.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Yeah, it's definitely bugged. I'm impressed you have managed 128/129 to be honest because I think at least 2 or 3 acheivments are bugged at the moment, but these bugs may not have been in all of the previous versions, so if you see someone with this acheivment, that's probably the reason why
  • CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
    Atropos said:

I would love to know how you managed to get You Chose ... Poorly to unlock.

You need at least one person in your party to be an in-game NPC that you've recruited, not a full user generated party. The trick that finally unlocked for me after trying so many different dialog options, was to position my party in very close proximity to Thrix, when he starts his riddle dialog.

I know, I know... from a programming standpoint, it sounds stupid but maybe there is some range on his sacrifice that actually triggers the event.

I tried about 15 times and this is the change that finally got it to work.

First, it's important to have a save before you fight the demons that Thrix summons (in case you can't get positioned correctly after you kill them, but before he begins his second dialog with the riddle).

I noticed his sacrifice never killed my NPC whether it was on a try where I didn't get the achievement or the one where I finally did, so that's still bugged.

ajwz said:

Yeah, it's definitely bugged. I'm impressed you have managed 128/129 to be honest because I think at least 2 or 3 acheivments are bugged at the moment, but these bugs may not have been in all of the previous versions, so if you see someone with this acheivment, that's probably the reason why

Which others are you having trouble with?
    CARV3R said:

You need at least one person in your party to be an in-game NPC that you've recruited, not a full user generated party. The trick that finally unlocked for me after trying so many different dialog options, was to position my party in very close proximity to Thrix, when he starts his riddle dialog.

I know, I know... from a programming standpoint, it sounds stupid but maybe there is some range on his sacrifice that actually triggers the event.

I tried about 15 times and this is the change that finally got it to work.

First, it's important to have a save before you fight the demons that Thrix summons (in case you can't get positioned correctly after you kill them, but before he begins his second dialog with the riddle).

I noticed his sacrifice never killed my NPC whether it was on a try where I didn't get the achievement or the one where I finally did, so that's still bugged.

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I was not able to replicate this. I did the following:

1) All standard NPCs (i.e. not user generated)
    2) Entire party in melee range of Thrix
    3) Try sacrificing different party members each time

Each time Thrix "claims their soul" and teleports away, but then there is a NPC dialogue with the affected NPC who acts like I prevented Thrix from actually doing anything. This has happened to me on each of my Dragonspear playthroughs so I think there is some magic ingredient that makes this achievement correctly trigger for some players but not for the vast majority of others.
    I'm sorry that didn't work. I only had one NPC, but I tried every combination of dialog, and the achievement triggered after the NPC responded, but was never actually killed or surrendered.
  • DanTehManDanTehMan Member Posts: 21
    Yup, definitely frustrating being stuck at 128/129, and I too am concerned that this last one might never be fixed. It's incredibly annoying to see how rampant bugged achievements are on Steam... I wish they took a more hard-line approach like Xbox does. Oh well.

As for "You Chose... Poorly", there seem to be a few ways to by-pass the poor scripting. Here's the one I used: http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/364039785157777439/#c350544272223653990
    edited November 2016
    Totally agree, @DanTehMan. If at this point Beamdog doesn't have the time or resources to fix it, they should honestly just remove the broken achievements from the game. The game already has 129 achievements, so it's not like removing two broken ones would leave players with nothing to strive for.

As for You Chose ... Poorly, I tried to use that method, but haven't been able to get it to work for me. Sigh.
    DanTehMan
    Absolutely, @Atropos -- if fixing broken achievements is too much work, simply delete them altogether. And while "You Chose... Poorly" isn't completely broken, it clearly isn't working as intended, as evidenced by the large number of people who don't have it.

P.S. - Sorry to hear that the method I suggested isn't working for you. It took me about 30 tries to get it, and it only popped for me when I tried that exact method... perhaps I just got lucky.
    edited January 2017
    Sad times on this, still no word about what should be a relatively simple fix.

Just remove the broken achievements from Steam, Beamdog!
    CARV3R
    I'm starting to think it might be intentional ignorance on their end. I've heard that Beamdog is at odds with Steam over profit sharing and maybe this is their way of sticking it to them lol.
    Incredibly petty, if true. I would be surprised if this is the case. Either way it's enormously frustrating and terrible customer service from Beamdog's end.
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 79
    I thought steam took a flat % of every sale (irrc 30%) unless do they negotiate custom % with certain companies?
    That's just something I read somewhere, but now that I'm actively searching for the article I can't even find it. Hopefully it's something I just misinterpreted when I read it. But like @Atropos says, it's incredibly annoying regardless of the situation.
    Really frustrating for Beamdog and Baldur's Gate fans that this still is not fixed after 6 months.

@TrentOster, come on, man, please!
    Pitiful bump?
    CARV3R
    Atropos said:

Pitiful bump?

I think we just have to accept that Beamdog doesn't care enough to fix this achievement. Quite a shame since it seems like a simple enough fix... not that I know anything about being a dev lol.
    You would think, if nothing else, that they would be a bit embarrassed that their game has a zero percent global completion percentage on Steam.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Beamdog do care and want to fix bugs, including this one. The team has been very busy with launching PST:EE, and as Trent Oster has mentioned several times. patching BG:EE is what will be done next.

Beamdog do care and want to fix bugs, including this one. The team has been very busy with launching PST:EE, and as Trent Oster has mentioned several times. patching BG:EE is what will be done next.

Glad to hear this. I've been involved in a few threads on this forum but nobody has come out and stated this publicly in any of them. Even if it takes a full calendar year, it will be nice to have this fixed!
    JuliusBorisov
    @JuliusBorisov I'm very glad to hear that fixes are planned.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited September 2017
    @badungu Thank you so much for posting this fix and the console code!
    JuliusBorisov