Skip to content

Yet another attempt at breaking the restartitis habit

So, right now I'm pretty close to being catapulted into TOB as an FMT with Imoen, Jaheira, Anomen and Adalon in my party. Things are going well, and I hope to complete both SOA and TOB with this party, but this is the point where somehow I start to imagine yet another party and how wonderful things could be. So here's the plan: I'll just keep playing with what I got now, and discuss my plans for the next run on the forums. Hope to hear lots of thoughts.
I'd like to do a run with Neera and do her. Romance. And do her romance. And Imoen will be in the party, can't seem to abandon her for some weird subconcious emotional reason. Also, I'll need Jaheira. Because she's a druid and I severely dislike Cernd. And I can't seem to abandon her for some weird subconcious emotional reason.
So what do you think my next party should look like? Who else should be there?
Please share your thoughts and advice. I like to play a 3 to 5 person party.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited December 2016

So here's the plan: I'll just keep playing with what I got now, and discuss my plans for the next run on the forums. Hope to hear lots of thoughts.

Famous last words... Actually, that is the straight way not to finish ToB with your FMT. Usually I, after such discussions, start the new run which have been talked about for some time...

Anyway, to answer your question:

You don't need Jaheira if your main character is a druid herself. Avenger and Totemic Druid are very fun characters. I undestand your subconcious emotional reason, but it's well worth it to try a party without Jaheira, if each time before you had her by your side.

Avenger
    Neera
    Mazzy
    Jan Jansen
    Keldorn
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @profanitywarning I agree with @JuliusBorisov that if you've got one foot out the door with this play-through you're done. I have serious, chronic restartitis and once I start thinking/talking about my next run, I'm basically finished. That said, if you like small parties, you could run something like this:

1. Warrior class charname (fighter, paladin, ranger, etc.)
    2. Aerie
    3. Yoshimo
    4. Grab Imoen later

or

1. Fighter/cleric charname (or fighter/druid)
    2. Jan Jansen
    3. Mage of your choice (or just wait for Imoen to keep party at 3 members)

@JuliusBorisov That's a neat lineup. Have you done a run like this? Is the game manageable without cleric spells?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Well, I've soloed the game as a druid, I'm currently playing with 6 warriors, so yes, the game is manageable.

The druid is a good alternative to a cleric. If the party has a mage, it shouldn't become a problem. An Inquistor could dispel chaos, confusion, domination, hold and other effects from which you don't have protection in the form of clerical spells.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    If you have two NPC that you are saying you can't play through without, then is it so surprising that you want to restart all the time?

Leave them behind for the next playthrough and mix up the NPC a bit.
    There's nothing wrong with really liking those NPC, but if you've played a lot with them, what new aspect are you going to get?
    Especially Imoen who doesn't have much to say anyway post SH.
    Why do you need a Druid?
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Actually, restartitis kicked in when I started leaving them behind. And yes, true, Imoen doesnt have all that much to say after spellhold. Still, the thing that gets me playing this game is the story. And Imoen is essential to the story. Why I need a druid? Well I suppose I don't actually *need* a druid, but those nasty bug spells they cast do help a lot. As @JuliusBorisov mentioned, I could get that by playing a druid me-puppet, and I'm thinking about that. Thinking about @OrlonKronsteen 's suggestions as well, as both came up with parties that could be good fun to play. And hoping for more ideas.
    btw, Imoen had a lot more to say once I installed her romance mod. A bit too much possibly, but still.
    Meanwhile, I'm still well on my way to TOB with my current party, but stalling. Not sure why. Looking for all those minor details I wont have a chance to fix once I'm there I suppose.
  • I am playing BG2 right now with the following party:

CHARNAME (Krina - cleric)
    Minsc
    Korgan
    Anomen
    Mazzy
    Jan

This way I've got four fighters, a cleric, and a mage/thief. That's the standard type of party I always play with.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    That is a fun party. Some fights might prove a bit hard because of minimal spellcasting ability, but lots of melee power to compensate for it. I'm going the opposite direction right now because I'm finally learning to use spells and want to make the most of it. My current party:
    FMT me-puppet
    the jaheira woman
    viconia
    Figured it would have to do. Two fighters, a thief, a mage, a druid, a cleric. Should be enough. I'm not a very good player though, so it might still be a challenge.