Skip to content

How to wipe out sewers beneath the Temple district?

2»

Comments

• BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    Any closely packed group of enemies that includes spellcasters is practically begging for insect plague
    gorgonzolaThacoBellRelSundan
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited November 2016
    I agree, and I already suggested it in my first post in this tread :wink:
    EDIT: Let me add that when Jaheira cast it she must weld the shield from adv mart that reflects ranged attacks to the attacker, so she will not be disrupted by Tarnor and the other ranged attacker.
    Beetledunbar
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918

EDIT: Let me add that when Jaheira cast it she must weld the shield from adv mart that reflects ranged attacks to the attacker, so she will not be disrupted by Tarnor and the other ranged attacker.

Why do I never think of small things like this? Mind if I barrow your brain next time I play?
    dunbar
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

If you want to be mean (and safe) cast the insect plague from out of sight. With Tarnor's group that can be done on one of the enemies while they are neutral - then just move into sight and trigger the conversation while the insect plague is en route. More generally you can cast the insect plague at one of your summons - moving them among the enemies just before it hits.
    RelSundan said:

Mind if I barrow your brain next time I play?

That sounds rather vicious, though I suppose you might need a barrow to move Qilue's brain :D.
    Gallowglassgorgonzola
    Damn it, I said borrow. Stupid auto-correct keeps playing tricks on me.
    Grond0gorgonzolaThacoBell
    RelSundan said:

Why do I never think of small things like this? Mind if I barrow your brain next time I play?

If you want we can eventually arrange for a telepathic connection, but I need it :wink:
    And bOrrowing other brains ( @semiticgod anyone?) probably you get a better deal :smiley:
    Grond0 said:

If you want to be mean (and safe) cast the insect plague from out of sight.

Shame on you! That is a very cheap tactic, not because is not fair, but because it make things too easy and spoils the fun.
    Grond0 said:

More generally you can cast the insect plague at one of your summons - moving them among the enemies just before it hits.

That is much better! I am not 100% sure, but I think that you have to turn your summon hostile before the spell hits, a ranged attack is perfect to do it.

edited November 2016

That is much better! I am not 100% sure, but I think that you have to turn your summon hostile before the spell hits, a ranged attack is perfect to do it.

You don't need to turn the summon hostile - insect plague only affects hostile creatures, but it will spread to nearby hostiles after reaching a non-hostile target. Also, if you are playing Enhanced Edition your summons are now permanently non-hostile, so you can't make them turn on you even if you want to ...
    RelSundansemiticgoddessgorgonzolaThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Grond0 said:

You don't need to turn the summon hostile - insect plague only affects hostile creatures, but it will spread to nearby hostiles after reaching a non-hostile target. Also, if you are playing Enhanced Edition your summons are now permanently non-hostile, so you can't make them turn on you even if you want to ...
    @Grond0

Are you sure about that?
    I'm currently playing EE (1.3) and skellies definitely turned on me when I made a mess of one fight. It was quite a nasty one, the four dwarf guardians, in Durlag's Tower.

Why on earth would they implement something like that?

So you can also cast IP on a party member that has low saves without affecting him but affecting nearby enemies? It would open new tactics like casting the IP on a party member that wears boots of speed, maybe a thief with cloak of not detection, have him hide immune from TS, when the cast is ended but the insects have not still reached him, and run near to te enemies. Much better than using a summon. Having that tactic working potentially trivializes half of the hard battles. I remember that I took down the shadow dragon many years ago only with Jaheira casting some IP and then a single magic missile.
    If the tactic does not work and a summon must be used than something is bugged, both the summon and the party member are not hostile, but I will not report in redmine as I don't like to see completely optional tactics nerfed.

I did not know that in EE summons are permanently non-hostile, my long time habits with original prevented me to use summons in situations where they can turn hostile, like dropping AoE spells.
    It should make the things a lot easier in many situations as now is possible to distract the enemies with summons while your mages drop spells and your fighters use ranged weapons.

The more I play EE and learn about it the more I discover that tactics and things that I like have been nerfed there and tactics that I seldom use because I find them cheap are almost promoted or anyway made more easy.
    After a couple of months of not gaming I had a couple of sessions and just discovered that not only UAI don't allow the use of some NPC only items (ANY... :neutral: ), but the enhanced bard song now works with a very little AOE and permits to have all the party benefit from it only in some tactical situations, that are not my typical ones, basically a group of strong fighters fighting all in a very small area. No more enhanced backstabs for me, no more cast and enhanced attack for my casters. Probably I will quit to use my beloved bards, I prefer it than change completely my playstyle to make them still useful.

Please excuse me for my rant.

Grond0 said:

@Grond0

Are you sure about that?
    I'm currently playing EE (1.3) and skellies definitely turned on me when I made a mess of one fight. It was quite a nasty one, the four dwarf guardians, in Durlag's Tower.

Latest patch, I would assume. My fire elementals have nothing against me throwing in some ice storms.
    Gallowglass
    edited November 2016

Are you sure about that?

@UnderstandMouseMagic
    As RelSundan says this is a fairly recent change in the EE. In the v2.3 Release Notes the change is described as a Bug Fix. I assume this was done in response to concerns expressed about summons that went hostile from attacks that couldn't hurt them (such as fire elementals being fireballed). Personally I agree that to have all summons permanently non-hostile is going too far the other way, but I don't think the engine allows a halfway house.
    gorgonzola
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2016
    Web

always web

when web doesn't work, use two webs

It works because half your enemies will fail their save, and the other half will come charging at you to die foolishly. So don't use too much web. I used two for the bandit group before dominating one of the dwarven fighters to set upon his own fellows. I used three for the high level variant of torgals group, and even drow with all their resistances are suspectible, and you should have a high armor tank with items that make you immune to web by that point letting the tank run free through the webs.

Heh, and people like to whine that low level mages of BG1 are sucky. Several of my top 10 spells in the game came from BG1.
    Grond0 said:

Are you sure about that?

@UnderstandMouseMagic
    As RelSundan says this is a fairly recent change in the EE. In the v2.3 Release Notes the change is described as a Bug Fix. I assume this was done in response to concerns expressed about summons that went hostile from attacks that couldn't hurt them (such as fire elementals being fireballed). Personally I agree that to have all summons permanently non-hostile is going too far the other way, but I don't think the engine allows a halfway house.
    Its a fair change for us SCS users, but yeah, I agree. If it bothers one you can Always avoid abusing it.