Skip to content

Level Drain?

Hey dudes.

I feel like I've been making a ton of threads here asking questions lately, and it only proves to me that Baldur's Gate II is a hell of a lot harder than the first game.

Anyway, last time I played through this game, I used Anomen. This time, however, I've only got Jaheira to help out with healing and buffing, because neither Anomen or Viconia fit well into my party, and roleplaying is a major part of these games to me. If I understand correctly, Druids don't get any restoration spells to help deal with level drain, so I bought what I thought was a ton of restoration scrolls. However, after a couple battles against some vampires, I'd used up half of those scrolls on my party fixing up all the level drains.

Am I truly boned in this regard if I don't take a cleric along with me? If I remember correctly, there are a lot of points throughout this game where my characters will have their levels drained.

I realize I could just take my party back to the nearest temple, but that just seems so tedious... Any advice?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited October 2016
    I usually run with Jaheira as my only healer and my standard strategy for vampires is to buff up one melee fighter to basically untouchable to draw attacks and then focus the rest of the party on taking out the vamps as quick as possible. This strategy can take a lot of resting depending on how unlucky you are, but it is better than running back and forth from a temple.

*EDIT* I believe the mace of disruption protects from level drain which is a huge help, Jaheaira should also get negative plane protection as a 4th level spell. Its single target and has kind of a short duration, so use wisely.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited October 2016
    Yup, Negative Plane Protection is your best friend.

Edit: Another essential buffing spell which is also available to Jaheira is Chaotic Commands - casting whichever of those is applicable plus Haste on your tank will get you out of a lot of tricky situations.
  • NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2016
    Another option is use Protection from magic weapons on your mages, it'll make it so vampires don't damage them and thus can't drain your levels.

Or use protection from undead scrolls is another option
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    This is one reason I prefer clerics to Druids.
  • NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77

This is one reason I prefer clerics to Druids.

Druids get protection from negative plain so druids can deal with it as well
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Minsc or Korgan or a berserker/barbarian pc can go berserk/rage and tackle vampires without fearing their deadly draining ability or charming gaze. Minsc has racial enemy:vampires as well, making him very good against them. They need good enchanted weapons though, Korgan's starting axe+1 may not cut vs more powerful vampires.

Hexxat is also viable, after you complete her initial quest.

A very good ac can help, but it is generally only effective vs weaker level drainers like wights, wraiths and spectres. Vampires all have good thac0 and exceptional, brutal str scores so they score hits easier. They mostly use slam attacks (crushing) so girdle of bluntness may help with extra ac, and avoid chain mails as they are weak against blunt trauma.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited October 2016
    It's for this reason that you're supposed to be extremely wary around vampires. There are whole worlds (like Ravenloft) devoted to them and similar creatures, they're not supposed to be easy to beat.

The simplest solution is for you to choose your battles more carefully and avoid fighting vampires directly when possible. Use summoned units, scout areas first like any reasonable adventurer would so you know if there are vampires around, and use indirect methods like luring them into traps or engaging forced interactions with them using a character with access to stealth/invisibility while the rest of your party flees, so you can fight the resulting battle on your own terms.

You should be operating under the assumption that taking hits from a vampire is a worst case scenario.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    You can also join the Thieves very early to get a drain-immunity item fast
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Don't forget that Chaotic Commands protects from Charm, Domination, etc., so cast that on your tank along with Negative Plane Protection, chuck in some Haste for good measure and you're good to go.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    Yulaw9460 said:

Maybe I'm just lucky or have had a breeze against Vampires, but my Elven protagonists also seem to have had an edge from time to time against their "charms" as well. Level Drains... well. They CAN be a pain without any Level Drain immunities. I've found that zipping off a quick Mirror Image and Blur spell in tandem can be a help in those regards, but at the time I get my first item with immunities against it, it's kind of a moot point. And I usually get one fairly early on in my walkthroughs.

Elven and Half-elven characters are supposed to receive a resistance bonus against charm/enchantment spells, though I think this only made itself apparent if you installed the G3 BG2 Fixpack in the original game. Whether or not this was fixed for the Enhanced Edition, I can't say.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Nightingale Don't forget, druids get negative plane protection as well.
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    @ThacoBell That they do. I must've missed that when I was double checking the Druid spell book on the wiki. I'll edit my post.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Elves have 90% resistance to charm, so will normally be OK, though I wouldn't rely on that (playing no-reload). Half-elves have 30% resistance, though I stopped using them a while ago in the EE due to their implementation being bugged (I can't remember if I've checked this in the latest update). The resistance is given by creating a portion of the round where they're immune to charm, but this has the side effect that when given immunity by something else (such as potion of clarity or greenstone amulet) for a portion of the round they are not immune.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    All very helpful tips, thanks a ton guys!

Of course, I wasn't complaining about the difficulty in my original post. I actually appreciate a good challenge every now and then. Last time I encountered level draining vampires I had Anomen with some restoration spells, so I just took advantage of that. This time was just different, so all these tips will definitely help me out a lot! :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Last tip, that can be sometimes useful. Vampires don't see trough invisibility, if you have ways to make your party invisible ambushes are no more a problem.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2016
    ThacoBell said:

*EDIT* I believe the mace of disruption protects from level drain which is a huge help,

Only the upgraded version I think. It also has a very good chance of destroying undead on hit. Use it with improved haste and you can clean up vampires and liches very fast.

It's best to get one or two well-prepared fighters attack the vampires and leave the rest of the party in a different room.

Don't use your scrolls of restoration every time you get a few levels drained. I usually don't bother unless my levels get very low.

If you have an Evil party, Dorn is immune to level drain.
  • fistermoleyfistermoley Member Posts: 5
    Did druids get restoration spells in the original game? I seem to remember multiple playthroughs with Jaheira back in the day without noticing the lack of them.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    afaik they don't. But if you are careful and are not level drained every couple of battles Druids can cast it from scroll, and also temples can help. So you can indeed go trough the whole game with a Druid as divine caster and eventually you will miss Chaotic Commands, but not restoration.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Druids get Chaotic Commands, though.

When I played with a solo druid, I missed Remove Fear - the only source for a druid to get it is with a Deva casting this spell.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016
    Azuredge bought from Bernard in the Copper Coronet can be useful. It forces undead to make a save vs. spell or die which means you'll be able to kill them a lot quicker. This is especially good against vampires since Negative Plane Protection only lasts 5 rounds, making it important they go down quick. Improved Haste much help in the latter respect as well.