Skip to content

Temple of Elemental Evil: Icewind Dale Total Conversion

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited June 2016
    Allyx said:

I've added the images for the narrated sections at the start of each chapter, the scrolling text I've added as a static block of text instead, I had to alter the image for chapter 3 as there was more text than could fit in the box, so I made the box bigger to include all the text, I am however having trouble finding the voiced narration files, would anyone know where they are and what they are called?

Look for the CHPTXTxx.2DA files in NI. It contains strrefs for the chapter title and text strings. The voice files are linked to the text strings (which in turn can be found in the dialog.tlk).
    Post edited by argent77 on
    mf2112
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    very nice to hear Allyx! Keep up the awesome work over at Co8!
    Grammarsaladmf2112
  • AllyxAllyx Member Posts: 47
    Any chance of a forum moderator switching the title of this thread from "Baldur's Gate" to "Icewind Dale" to reflect the change in this total conversion's focus?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Godlolien
    @subtledoctor thanks for your help. :)
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I don't post here often, but I would like to chime in to say IWD in the TOEE engine would be the best thing since sliced bread.

And I love sliced bread.
    Illustairlolien
    Well, I'd estimate that the Prologue Chapter (Easthaven and Kuldahar Pass) is approximately 80% complete, I have a few more NPC's to add (the Hermit, Gherag, Uligar, and the kid in the cupboard under the stairs) to add, a few other areas to add monsters to (the Orc Cave in Easthaven, the Kuldahar pass beetle cave, inside and outside, and inside the Mill) and a few other areas to polish up a bit (waypoints for roaming Goblins, setting a few enemies as hiding scouts etc...), and adding a few skill checks for various dialogue options (Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Sense Motive) before releasing it as a Demo version, hopefully by the New Year, if not soon after.
    modestvolta
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    Awesome! Definitely looking forward to it.
    edited December 2016
    @argent77 I was wondering if Near Infinity was an open source project? And if so if we would be allowed to use code from it to build a new version of our Front End application for ToEE?

It just occurred to me that NearInfinity is also written in Java, same as TFE-X. With the author's permission we could probably reuse the code for viewing and extracting the TIS files (I'm mainly missing the PVRZ format, but his implementation is more general anyway).

The idea is that we could use an existing IWD installation on the end user's computer to pull map images and potentially other large files directly from one game and alter the format to be usable in the ToEE module, thus requiring a legal copy of both titles, bypassing any copywrite issues and making for a much much smaller module installer package for downloading purposes.

Would we be given your permission to undertake such a task? And if so, could you point me in the direction of the source code for Near Infinity please?
    Near Infinity is an open source project licensed under the LGPL. So yes, you can freely use any code from it if your own project is compatible with the license.

The official project can be found here: https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity

However, it's updated only once in a while. My own fork, which is updated much more frequently, can be found here: https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/

There is also a Wiki: https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki
    Thanks @argent77 Near Infinity is a beautiful piece of kit btw, it's already been invaluable to me on this project. Is there a way to display ground loot though? The cave with the Goblins and Bombardier Beetles has some piles of loot on the ground (about 114gp, a magical arrow and something else) which I completely missed because they weren't in a chest or someone's inventory, so highlighting containers and actors didn't help me determine their exact locations on the map.
    edited December 2016
    Ground piles don't contain polygon definitions, so they are invisible in NI's area viewer. You can inspect the container structures in the "Edit" tab of the resource though.

If you know how to code in WeiDU you can try to convert area structures into text format. File format descriptions can be found in the IESDP.
    lolien
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Holy shit, that's pretty awesome. Does it matter if it is ID original or EE?
    Grammarsalad
    It should work with all versions of Icewind Dale, if it doesn't work with your version, let us know about it so we can fix it.
    lolienGrammarsaladIllustairJuliusBorisov
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    TOEE has some great modders. Keep on the Borderlands was great. I love the graphic style of the TOEE engine, and the turn based combat.

IWD would probably be the best one to start with, I agree.
    Illustair
    edited June 2017
    We will be replacing the selectable deities for this mod as the pantheon of Gods used in Forgotten Realms is obviously different to the the used in Grayhawk. The selectable deities chosen currently consist of the following Gods:

Bane LE - Destruction, Evil, Law, War - Spiked Gauntlet preferred weapon)
    Chauntea NG - Animal, Good, Plant, Sun
    Corellon Larethian (Unchanged) CG - Chaos, Good, Protection, War - Longsword preferred weapon
    Garl Glittergold (Unchanged) NG - Good, Protection, Trickery
    Gruumsh (Unchanged) CE - Chaos, Evil, Strength, War - Spear preferred weapon
    Helm LN - Law, Protection, Strength
    Lathander NG - Good, Protection, Strength, Sun
    Mask NE - Trickery, Evil, Luck
    Moradin (Unchanged) LG - Earth, Good, Law, Protection
    Mystra (Midnight) LN - Knowledge, Good, Magic
    Oghma NN - Knowledge, Luck, Trickery, Travel
    Selûne CG - Protection, Travel, Chaos, Good
    Shar NE - Evil, Knowledge, Death
    Silvanus NN - Animal, Plant, Protection
    Talos CE - Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Fire
    Tempus CN - Protection, War, Chaos - Battleaxe preferred weapon
    Tymora CG - Chaos, Travel, Good, Protection
    Tyr LG - Good, Law, War, Knowlkedge - Longsword preferred weapon
    Waukeen NN - Knowledge, Protection, Travel

Is this a fair representaion of Faerûn's pantheon? I am no Forgotten Realms expert, so would appreciate the feedback.
    Post edited by Allyx on
    GrammarsaladGusindaJuliusBorisovKamigoroshi
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    That looks pretty good to me
    JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2017
    Allyx said:

Shar NE - Evil, Knowledge, Death

I don't think Shar should possess the domain/portfolio of Death. She's more about darkness (and the shadow weave) than corpses. That's more Myrkul's field of expertise. He would also function nicely as an replacement for Nerull.
    • Myrkul NE - Death, Evil, Fate (may be replaced with Knowledge, if you don't want to create new domains)

However, one deity I'd personally love to see in any Icewind Dale game (remake or otherwise) is the Frostmaiden. Especially since your list is lacking in Water and Air deities. Not to mention Auril pretty much ruling over the whole Icewind Dale region.
    • Auril NE- Air, Water, Evil
    AllyxJuliusBorisov
    I can swap Shar for Myrkul, and replace the Knowledge domain for Luck instead (basically an unmodified version of the Fate domain).

I will look into the Frostmaiden and Auril to see if I can make room for them considering the alignment restrictions, else they may only be available if/when the other 8 deities become selectable in Temple Plus.
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2017
    The Frostmaiden is an alias of Auril. So just one place amongst the deities would be fully sufficient. ;)
    Thanks for looking into it!
    edited June 2017
    No problem, I looked up Myrkul on the Wiki, which states Myrkul is a dead deity, slain by Mystra, who was slain by Helm. I did list Mysta above, but that one is actually Midnight an ascended mortal magician.

I could swap out Mask in favour of Auril.
    edited June 2017
    It's true that Myrkul was slain in the Times of Trouble. However Icewind Dale's timeline plays ca. 80 years before that particular event. Meaning that Myrkul is still alive and kicking... well, as alive as a deity of the Dead can get anyway. ;D
    JuliusBorisovGrammarsalad
    Oh ok, didn't know that, did Mystra and Bhaal also die after Icewind Dale's timeline had been concluded?
    Yes, same as Bane.
    JuliusBorisovGrammarsalad
    Which deity was more prominent during IWD's timeline then, Bane or Bhaal?
    Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul were a trible team. So to speak. They inherited Jergal's power at the same time. Bane reigned the living, Bhaal killed the living and Myrkul reigned over the dead. One could say all had equal power before the Time of Trouble. Although Myrkul certainly had it the easiest before his demise. But at the end only Bane managed to resurrect successfully after taking over the body of his half-demon/half-god son Iachtu Xvim. That happened after the Times of Trouble though, at the beginning at D&D 3rd edition.
    JuliusBorisovAllyxGrammarsalad
    Ok, thanks for your insight, much appreciated.
    edited June 2017
    So the full list will be:

1 Waukeen NN - Knowledge, Protection, Travel
    2 Corellon Larethian (Elf) CG - Chaos, Good, Protection, War - Longsword preferred weapon
    3 Chauntea NG - Animal, Good, Plant, Sun
    4 Talos CE - Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Fire
    5 Silvanus NN - Animal, Plant, Protection
    6 Garl Glittergold (Gnome) NG - Good, Protection, Trickery
    7 Gruumsh (Orc) CE - Chaos, Evil, Strength, War - Spear preferred weapon
    8 Tyr LG - Good, Law, War, Knowledge - Longsword preferred weapon
    9 Bane LE - Destruction, Evil, Law, War - Spiked Gauntlet preferred weapon
    10 Selûne CG - Protection, Travel, Chaos, Good
    11 Moradin (Dwarf) LG - Earth, Good, Law, Protection
    12 Auril NE - Water, Evil, Air
    13 Oghma NN - Knowledge, Luck, Trickery, Travel
    14 Tempus CN - Protection, War, Chaos - Battleaxe preferred weapon
    15 Lathander NG - Good, Protection, Strength, Sun
    16 Helm LN - Law, Protection, Strength
    17 Myrkul NE - Evil, Luck, Death
    18 Mystra LN - Knowledge, Good, Magic
    19 Brandobaris (Halfling) NN - Travel, Trickery, Luck

---------- With Temple Plus ----------
    20 Urdlen (Gnome) CE - Chaos, Earth, Evil
    21 Avoreen (Halfling) LG - Good, Law, War, Protection - Shortsword preferred weapon
    22 Bhaal LE - Death, Destruction, Evil
    23 Lolth (Elf) CE - Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Trickery
    24 Ilmatar LG - Good, Law, Healing, Strength
    25 Dumathoin (Dwarf) NN - Earth, Knowledge, Protection
    26 Umberlee CE - Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Water
    27 Yurtrus (Orc) NE - Death, Evil, Destruction
    Post edited by Allyx on
    KamigoroshiGrammarsalad