Skip to content

Irenicus kills shaman PC in beginning cutscene?

As the title suggests, when I try to play BG2 as a Shaman, the PC is killed during the cutscene where Irenicus performs his little experiments before the game truly begins. I'm guessing this is a mod conflict, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced it. Thanks.

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 624
    Never heard of anything like it, but look at the bright side.. it's an interesting turn of events! xD
    GallowglassCrevsDaak
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Doesn't happen to me...

That said, you may be able to bypass it by skipping the cutscene (press Esc while it plays).
    gorgonzolasemiticgoddessJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @evilrick - if you reckon it might be a mod conflict, then it might be helpful to mention which mods you are using. Several of the active mod-writers use these forums, and might be able to fix the problem if you give them some hint about which mods may be conflicting.
    gorgonzola
  • evilrickevilrick Member Posts: 5

@evilrick - if you reckon it might be a mod conflict, then it might be helpful to mention which mods you are using. Several of the active mod-writers use these forums, and might be able to fix the problem if you give them some hint about which mods may be conflicting.

I should, but...I don't remember all the mods I'm using. I've discovered I can play as a shaman if I import one from BG1, so I may jut do that.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    my god...after all these years, I never knew cutscenes can be skipped by pressing Esc, shame me...
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

my god...after all these years, I never knew cutscenes can be skipped by pressing Esc, shame me...

That's a EE v2.0 new feature :) It requires an individual update to each cutscene to make it skippable, though, so only the main plot ones are affected so far.
    JuliusBorisovmf2112CrevsDaak
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I feel like I've seen this reported somewhere before, but for the life of me I can't recall where.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Wasn't this due to the missing Shaman row in the xp table? I *think* it makes you level 1 so if your CON sucks you die in the cutscene.

May be wrong though.
    mf2112Gate70 TheArtisanCrevsDaak
    Ardanis said:

Doesn't happen to me...

That said, you may be able to bypass it by skipping the cutscene (press Esc while it plays).

Unfortunately, I cannot skip that cutscene. I'll play through BG1 and import a shaman that way. More fun anyway!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Why you cannot skip it?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Kurona looks to have identified one possible cause. Removing the shaman entry from xplevel.2da is enough to get the same result, so maybe a mod has removed it.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    evilrick said:

As the title suggests, when I try to play BG2 as a Shaman, the PC is killed during the cutscene where Irenicus performs his little experiments before the game truly begins. I'm guessing this is a mod conflict, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced it. Thanks.

[ Irenicus ] - It is time for more ... experiments...
    [ MAINCHAR ] - Uhh!
    [ Irenicus ] - The pain will only be passing, you should survive the process.
    [ MAINCHAR DIES ]
    [ Irenicus ] - Uhm... what? To end...like this?
    CrevsDaakevilrickJuliusBorisov
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2016
    Well, s***, time to go nab Imoen's soul instead. Sorry Bodhi.
    CrevsDaak
    Southpaw said:

evilrick said:

[ MAINCHAR ] - Uhh!
    [ MAINCHAR DIES ]
    Right! Would he just stand there, scratching his head?
    edited November 2016
    evilrick said:

Since Irenicus needs the protagonist alive for a while longer, he'd surely go find a Cleric and arrange a resurrection!

Edit: clarity.
    evilrick said:

Southpaw said:

evilrick said:

[ MAINCHAR ] - Uhh!
    [ MAINCHAR DIES ]
    Imagine him, going "Well... f&^k"

Also - Bhaalspawn can't be resurrected AND keep the god's spark as far as I know.
    Southpaw said:

Also - Bhaalspawn can't be resurrected AND keep the god's spark as far as I know.

Well, that's said to be the theory ... but it evidently isn't true, since it definitely doesn't apply to Imoen.

Southpaw said:

Well, that's said to be the theory ... but it evidently isn't true, since it definitely doesn't apply to Imoen.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong - but Imoen possessed only a bit of the godly spark an lost it. If you resurrect her, she no longer has it.
    edited December 2016
    Southpaw said:

Correct me, if I'm wrong - but Imoen possessed only a bit of the godly spark an lost it. If you resurrect her, she no longer has it.

Not so - even if she has been resurrected earlier in the game, Imoen is still revealed as a Bhaalspawn by Irenicus (and used in his experiments for that reason), and Imoen can still give the necessary spark of Bhaal's essence to revive Sarevok in ToB ... so evidently Imoen retains her (admittedly small) piece of the essence regardless of resurrection.

Edit: spelling.
    Post edited by Gallowglass on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Throne of Bhaal actually pokes fun at this I think in the banters between Sarevok and Imoen.