Skip to content

Opinions on Spell Revisions mod

Hi all,

I'm planning on starting a new run through the trilogy with a mage main, and wanted to know what people thought about this mod. At first look it seems like this mod nerfs mage characters by weakening many of the class's best spells. Do the spell upgrades for the less-used spells make up for this? Thanks.

Comments

• yowaveyowave Member Posts: 67
    @subtledoctor had my eye on this mod, i just don't know if it 100% compatible with SCS.
    I know that they kinda edited SCS so most of SR spells are recognized, but i am not convinced that it make it 100% compatible.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Spell Revisions is a well-intentioned mod that uses overly simple logic. Its author put a lot of work into streamlining spells in an effort to make them more useful, but "useful," as well as "interesting," is an idea with much more nuance than is obvious. Whether you should use the mod depends on your opinion of a game like Diablo, which is a paragon of rational gameplay. Do you think that its trees of powers are a fine example of relevance and balance (they are), or do you think they are a too-obvious mechanism in a too-obvious process (they are)?

If you hold the former opinion, then you will like that the Knock spell has been replaced with a Battering Ram, which strikes and smashes people and locks alike. If you do not believe that less is more but rather think that this cheapens both Knock and what the Ring of the Ram does, then the rest of the mod will not sit well with you either - outside of the many small power-ups and power-downs like Healing spells curing 1 extra hit point per level of the caster. These changes are probably for the best, but, as far as I am concerned, they are about as significant as when a writer starts to dot his i's or use shorter or longer sentences. They do not concern the essential interest of a work.

So do I have the mod installed? No, but that is because I am not a min-maxer and care a lot less about efficiency and builds than the average player. If I did, I would probably install it.
    yowave
  • yowaveyowave Member Posts: 67
    @chimeric Thanks for sharing your personal view on the matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Grammarsaladyowave
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I love me a good Plato bashing:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62408/dungeons-and-dragons-and-philosophy/p1

But on topic, I'd say that this is one of the best/funnest mods that I've ever played. Though it's a pita because of the way they add new spells, I've always made it a priority in my own mods to ensure that they are compatible with sr.

And scs is definitely compatible, though you may want to use the special version:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28249&page=1#
    [Deleted User]yowaveDemivrgvs
  • MasterChefMasterChef Member Posts: 43
    Hi guys,

Coming back to this now, I think I'm going to make a trilogy run with a PC Diviner with the latest Spell Revisions active. One question - could anyone give me some broad ideas on what tactics / spells I should use throughout the different parts of the game? In particular, I'm curious to know how my PC should play come TOB endgame - will he be used mostly as a debuffer / dispeller, or has the mod changes some of the offensive spells so that it would make sense for the character to be a nuker. Thanks!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @MasterChef: In all honesty, you can play the game mostly the same as you always could. The big difference with Spell Revisions is that you have an incentive to try out some different spells than you're normally used to. You don't have to rethink your playstyle. Give it a shot, try some new spells, and you'll figure out what kind of mage you prefer in SR.

Mages can still fulfill all of their normal roles with SR installed.
    Demivrgvs
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    I made a SR minimod for personal use where I took about 60 spells that SR changed from vanilla that I liked being changed, and either went with SR or modified SR or modified vanilla. Because there was a TON of spells that I did NOT like how SR redid them compared to vanilla.

Perhaps not coincidentally, they tend to be how said spells work in 3.0 edition, which has always made more sense to me. About 1/4 of the 60 or so was just the Cure/Cause/Regen spells that now scale by level like in 3.0. A lot of them I didn't like either SR or vanilla, and usually met in between the two, or some other sort of change. I didn't give the spells so much -saves.

But mostly they are the sort of "smaller power-ups and downs" that chimeric mentions. I intentionally avoided anything SR did that would be fundamentally game altering, because I didn't want that.