Skip to content

Not sure if I'm bad or bugged

This is kind of an odd issue, but here goes: my characters can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn.

I'm new to this version of BG2EE (I played it right after it came out, but it seems to have changed dramatically) but I've played a lot of BG2 over the years, and something seems really weird.

I'm just out of the dungeon and tried going into the sewers, and I sat and watched Minsc swing a +2 two handed sword at a Rakshasa for *ages* and only do any damage when he got a critical hit. His THAC0 is 8, which isn't spectacular, but I don't remember seeing that kind of thing before.

It isn't confined to this one Rakshasa: in pretty much every fight I can think of (the first one in the windspear hills, and the random encounters traveling come to mind) nobody can hit anything and I've had to rely on spells to save the day.

I messed around with the difficulty slider when I was starting out and played through the dungeon at "Insane", but ended up going to "Normal" afterwards given how much trouble I was having, and it's still seems much more difficult.

I feel like a clueless newbie asking this, but I swear I've played through BG2 multiple times and don't remember getting clock cleaned like this before. Did something change?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2016
    Rakshasas generaly have good ac, so you can miss even with a THAC0 of 8, and may require criticals to hit some harder foes.

Or if your characters are fatigued, they will not be able to hit anything easily. If they are fatigued a symbol of an orange-closed sleepy eye appears on portraits and they will complain that they want sleep and rest. Haste and restoration spells and long travels fatigue characters.

Other than that, if you have cosmetic attacks on, your characters will do fake swings and feints without an attack roll. Turn on attack rolls feedback from the options. Only when an attack roll is shown, an attack is made. All other swings are cosmetic and represent the flow of the combat. You can turn off cosmetic attacks from options menu (if v2.0 or higher) or from baldur.ini (if lower version)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    lunar said:

Other than that, if you have cosmetic attacks on, your characters will do fake swings and feints without an attack roll. Turn on attack rolls feedback from the options. Only when an attack roll is shown, an attack is made. All other swings are cosmetic and represent the flow of the combat. You can turn off cosmetic attacks from options menu (if v2.0 or higher) or from baldur.ini (if lower version)

I second this.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited December 2016
    Not sure if this will help but it might make you feel better.

I never seem to be able to hit much, in every playthrough. I read on here advice to do D'Arness Keep early and my blood runs cold, those trolls massacre my party if not very careful. So inevitably I use a lot of magic. ranged attacks (vital) and sneaky tactics.

For this reason, on my current playthrough I decided to build a fighter that could hit and take punishment. And yes it's worked but had to play through assigning pips very specifically.
    Her THACO is -12 just before Suldenesselar, yep that works.
    (Though now find eventhough playing insane and SCS, things are very trivial)

Minsc, can't use him, he just dies all the time. Doesn't matter what gear, the guy has a death wish. I put it down to the brain damage eventhough it's not meant to affect anything.

Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Rakshasas are just really hard enemies. I'm not sure about the one in the sewers but many are immune to anything, but +2/+3 weapons. I'm not sure about the one in the sewers (or if it changes its immunities based on your level), but it's unlikely too many of your characters have +2 or +3 weapons being fresh out of the dungeon, and they're also immune to any spell lower than 8th level. So, there's plenty of reason why you can't do damage to it :D

Minsc functions best if you have a higher AC character positioned *in front* of him so he can swing from behind them or to the side some way so that the other character takes the shots (Jaheira and Anomen are both great at this and they are available at the start basically).
  • DeadlyMuffinDeadlyMuffin Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2016
    Where exactly can I turn off cosmetic attacks and show rolls? I'm not seeing that in any of options dialogs.

EDIT: never mind, it's under "feedback". That totally makes sense if you don't think about it.