Skip to content

Solo Storylore Elven FMT - Remove Exp Cap? Should I play something else?

ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
I intended to play every quest, explore every map and zone, and immerse myself in the glory of this game. I've only solo beat the game as a FMT but I truly love the power with the class. 10apr, 25 str, stoneskins, mirror images, spell immunities to make liches and dragons a breeze, killing drizzt, easy exp in BGEE from dryads and spell protection petrification basilisk hunting, running around like a hasted god, the list goes on. I usually play chatoic good or neutral evil, might change it up this time. I like power. Early game, Scimitars/Katana, into Drizzt Scimitars, into Celestial Fury/Belm, into Crom Faeyr/Scarlet Ninja-to. Pretty much best in breed. I could list traps as a strength, but honestly I feel that they are too cheese... time stop, sleep spam 7 traps, i dunno. Doesn't feel rewarding to beat stuff that way.

Kind of bummed my favorite solo character can't use HLAs from the mage kit. I was wondering if (1) it would be considered a faux pas to remove the exp cap and (this is hard to answer) (2) should I play a FMT again? Truly like the versatility, being able to do/see every locked chest and closed room or should I try and play something else that you think I might enjoy more, or just as much? I've gotten an inquisitor to the end game, but not beaten the final boss, and I've gotten a sorc through BGEE. Just want to fresh it up and see all the zones etc.

I quite literally can't STAND doing a full party due to being spoiled with haste and tactics only solo players can do, slow 6 person parties aren't ideal but I will miss out on a lot of the core gameplay and storytelling :(

Here's my usual build:

Chaotic Good Elven FMT
Str: 25
Dex: 21
Int: 21
Con: 19
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 15
AC: -7
10 APR
30% Magic Resist
29+5 dmg a swing
Insane Thac0

Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Prot +3, Gauntlets of Extra Spec, Robe of Vecna, Helm of Balduran, Montolio's Cloak, Boots of Speed, Crom Faeyr, Scarlet Ninja To, Amulet of Power, Belt of Inertial Barrier.

Imp haste, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin, Mirror Images, Time Traps, Spike Traps, Sunray and Sunfire, Morde Sword, etc.
CrevsDaak

Comments

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    If you want to play FMT, play FMT. If you want the HLA, remove the XP cap. Unless you're playing multiplayer there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play. An uncapped FMT is absolutely absurd power-wise, so maybe you will be bored but unless you try yourself you can't be certain.
    FinneousPJCrevsDaakGoturalDaevelon
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FMT is super powerful and fun. Can't go wrong there.
    CrevsDaakGotural
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Not quite sure what you are asking, but if it's that you love an OP Charname but at the same time want the interactions and quests of a party, then why not do both?

Solo for as long as possible to level up, pick up NPC, carry on the "actual" fighting solo, give your charname all the best equipment.
    I find myself doing this a bit.
    Leave the "party" parked around a corner, do the fights on your own if possible using all the tactics you have outlined.

Obviously can't do everything this way and of course you won't be so powerful, but it does cut down on the annoyance of NPC spoiling solo tactics you want to use.
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    I am considering a potential party playthrough with a cavalier, imoen, cleric of some sort, and a tank. The goal would be to get cavalier Carsomyr and have one additional melee for ownage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I always found the xp cap to be a bit arbitrary and annoying, so I'm always in favor of removing it. If you want to play something else than a FMT maybe you could try a fighter/mage/cleric instead? I have never played one myself, but mixing divine and arcane spellcasting is always interesting. Then there's the whole challenge of dealing with traps and locks without a thief.
    CrevsDaakDaevelon
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Another powerful and versatile class you might be interested in playing would be Ranger/Cleric. Especially if you enable full access to druid spells.
    Yes, I was considering a playthrough with this. I was wondering if it would be better for Fighter 13 -> Cleric or just Ranger/Cleric or Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Not sure! Mainhand would be either flail of ages (modded to remove free action, or just leave it at +4) or Foebane +5. Then not sure if I should have belm as an offhand or something for stats and immunities. :(

The goal would be to imp haste myself with the cheetah amulet and ring of gaxx, as I don't like wasting points on non-passive apr gww's.
    Well I'm sure all three are a good choice and can be powerful characters. I like Ranger/Cleric because of the Druid spells. As for weapons, both are possible, but I think you need Tweaks for a cleric dual or multi to wield sharp things. You might consider the big hammer as well.
    Theres a cloak that can be upgraded to give improved haste and improved invisibility.

Theres a cloak that can be upgraded to give improved haste and improved invisibility.

WHAT? I've played this game so many times and still don't know about that. What is it?
    CrevsDaak
    Ah, I see. http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Improved_Cloak_of_Protection_+2

I guess I've never used this in BGee because it won't work with real armor, right?
    Thats probably right. I'm not even sure it exists in BGEE because I only have BG2EE and never seem to realize people could be talking about BGEE.

Thats probably right. I'm not even sure it exists in BGEE because I only have BG2EE and never seem to realize people could be talking about BGEE.

I mean't BG2EE. But yeah, I shadowkeepered in a Dual 13 Berserker-> Cleric with end game items and I can't use bladed weapons. I wonder if a ranger cleric is different?

Also, I can't use improved cloak of haste with armor on. However, I can still use it to haste myself and then put armor back on. I can have the amulet of cheetah speed to switch during combat. Thanks!
    Damn_Monkey
    Yeah, as far as I recall, Ranger/cleric also has the clerics weapons restrictions. I removed it some time ago, but pretty sure it's the same for all cleric multiclasses.
    CrevsDaakGallowglass
    I'm testing now. Doing 1,250,000 exp for fighter 13 and 1,350,000 exp for cleric 14. Will do a test vs. evil Dwarven fighter/cleric. I've already done FMT a few times with BIS gear so I know what they have offhand. Realized I can't use foebane as a cleric anything :( Through the hell trials and entire game I can have the following:

evil berserker->cleric:
    stats unbuffed
    23 STR
    21 DEX
    22 CON
    12 INT
    23 WISDOM
    11 CHA

ac/thaco/dmg
    24-29 dmg with club of detonation (defender easthaven offhand or if need immune to fear, runehammer)
    -7/-1 THACO
    9 apr with improved haste
    -13 AC

saves
    paralysis/poison/death (2) -3
    rod/staff/wand (4) -3
    petrification/polymorph (3) -3
    breath weapon -3 (-8)
    spells 5 (-3)
    missile -3
    piercing -3
    slashing -4

Here's a pic of berserker->cleric in action with buffs though:
    https://i.imgur.com/bgsErpo.png

So for comparison.....

with a fighter/cleric with buffs in action:
    https://i.imgur.com/vzFHMHG.png
    not as much damage, thac0, or AC, but as leveling progressess I will get more THAC0 naturally eventually.. (-11/-3 as zerk/cleric vs. -13/-9 as fight/cleric) but I do get access to critical strike.

Other thoughts...

with a FMT (same setup but with crom faeyr mainhand and scarlet ninja to offhand) I get 10apr, -8 ac, and 29 dmg+5, stoneskins mirror image etc etc, and about -10 THAC0 in mainhand.

with a FM (same setup but with Foebane+5mh and crom offhand) I get 8apr, -8ac. and 31dmg+5, mirror image etc etc, and about -10 THAC0 in mainhand

crazy number crunching. not sure why i spent the afternoon fat from christmas doing this. haha
    ahhyep said:

crazy number crunching. not sure why i spent the afternoon fat from christmas doing this. haha

My best guess would be your inner powergamer has awoken. I'm more of a "pretty good stats" and "yeah I think that might work" gamer myself, so I'll step back and make way for those who understand the numbers and know their meaning to discuss this further. @gorgonzola comes to mind, though there be many others as well.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The XP cap is overrated in my opinion, and that goes both ways. For one, I don't find it to be a particularly relevant factor in curbing character power (in BG2, obviously very different in BG1), but I also don't find playing without it a lot more impressive in general.

However, FMT is a bit of a special case in this respect as that combination cannot get 9th level spells under the cap, which is somewhat relevant. While the 9th level spells aren't the be-all end-all of mage power in BG2, they certainly contain some juicy bits.

Nevertheless, solo FMT in the unmodded game is ridiculously powerful even with the XP cap in place. The extra power you gain uncapped is almost assuredly overkill, as IH + SS alone is likely enough of a recipe for making you a walking talking death machine. Clobbering people with CFae or CFur at 10 APR will tear through the game like a lightsaber through I'danian spice pudding. You really don't need to do things like Mislead with Black Blade of Disaster on top of all that.

Now, if we're talking modded game then things are a bit different. The harder the setup, the more conducive it becomes to larger parties, as there is less overkill and the xp scaling of individual characters is usually significantly below the overall throughput scaling of extra party members (with or without XP cap).

Mods also matter for the choice between dual and multiclass. Without mods (especially Spell Revisions, which greatly nerfs Improved Haste), a dual class Berserker or Kensai to Mage is likely to be better than a FM dual (even a Gnome). An FMT may or may not still have an edge, depending on setup and approach (Mislead backstab is almost unbeatable in terms of damage output).
    A Fighter + Cleric combo of some kind is likely worse than a Mage due to BG2's marked emphasis of mage combat. You have more defensive buffs, but they quickly become redundant in the face of what a Mage can do in BG2, particularly when combined with extra defenses such as e.g. being a Berserker. The offensive potential suffers due to loss of APR offhands as well, though how relevant that is depends on the difficulty of your game.

There is, as always, no "perfect" solution due to the large variance in parameters involved, and the joker status of personal preference. I do encourage anyone who is interested in exploring the numbers a bit more thoroughly to do so, however, and find that to be the most helpful tool in deciding what you may or may not want to go for. If you are a powergamer, numbers are your friend - but don't take them as the ultimate solution to everything and to the exclusion of anything else.
    edited December 2016
    Yep, I typically go the FMT route with Scimitars in BG1, and BG2, followed by katanas and warhammers. I suppose with a exp cap removed I could also go for Axes or Bastard Swords, utilizing the new helmet that gives righteous magic for 25 str. Interesting combinations.

Removing the exp cap is obviously going to benefit triple multiclasses much more. And FMT is already incredibly powerful with UAI. I am wondering if the cap was to balance things out, or just an oversight for soloers - I wouldn't mind level 9 skills and more options via proficinecy points, plus if I complete the entire saga and all related content, I don't want to feel like my efforts are going to waste because I hit the cap MID-SOA.

I'd sorta just have an inner struggle with altering the game in any way, but I suppose the tweaks and fixpacks and collectors edition vendors are installed in BG2EE regardless.
    CrevsDaak
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    ahhyep said:

I'd sorta just have an inner struggle with altering the game in any way, but I suppose the tweaks and fixpacks and collectors edition vendors are installed in BG2EE regardless.

Don't be afraid to trust in your own judgment. The default rules of the game are only a very rough guideline, and I find that modifications can make the game experience a lot MORE fun, rather than less as you would expect from the usual notion of "cheating". Always keep in mind that this is a pure single player game, and nothing you do to your own game has any effect whatsoever on anyone in the world but yourself. Trust that you are a mature individual capable of moderating your own gameplay experience based on whatever factors you yourself deem best for your optimal enjoyment.
    profanitywarningbleusteel