Skip to content

A bit of dialog I always wanted to say

Now if you go to THE DE'ARNISE KEEP and when you rescue Nalia's aunt. I can't remember the aun't name so I'll call her The Aunt. Well The Aunt is rude to you and if you're rude back, she drops your reputation 2 points. Now if you kill her and the guard then nobody should know and you can blame it on the invading trolls and goblins and The Aunt wouldn't be able to badmouth you so you should get that lost reputation back and not lose any if you're not busted for murder. But the game just drops your reputation more.

Anyway, so now The Aunt says how she's all awesome because of noble blood. Well you have Divine Blood which is way better than noble blood.

The dialog could be all:
You: You may have noble blood but I have divine blood. I could tell you the deity but you won't like it. I also grew up in the library fortress of Candlekeep which was a proper upbringing.
Aunt: Ridiculous.
You: Have you heard of Alundo's prophecy?
Aunt: I remember the name vaguely.
You: When shadows descend upon the lands, our divine lords will walk alongside us as equals. So sayeth the great Alaundo. The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sewn from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    R-i-i-i-ght. I'll accept this if she laughs in your face and makes a snide remark that your low-born status and poverty has driven you to delusions of grandeur. Keep in mind this is what she says if you tell her you intend to kill her:
    Do as you will. I will not lose my dignity just because you threaten my life. Indeed, I would rather die than lose respect for myself. Frankly, I don't know how you peasants stand it.

Then she dies. I don't see the PC parading around their divinity doing much of anything.
    lolienGrum
  • R-i-i-i-ght. I'll accept this if she laughs in your face and makes a snide remark that your low-born status and poverty has driven you to delusions of grandeur.

This sounds like a good line of dialog.
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2016
    Actually I wanted to kill her and if Nalia had a problem with that I'd just resurrect her.
    Some people need to be taught that nobility means nothing before a being who can slay dragons and demons singlehandedly.

And if she still belittle me I'll just kill her again. And again. Let's see how long can she keep her attitude. Mwahahaha.
    profanitywarning
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Not everyone in the world exists to acknowledge the PC's awesomeness. I've always loved Lady Delcia's unwitting self-parody. Her identity is so dependent upon the superiority of her noble blood that she clings more tightly to it as the riff-raff come in to save her. Invincible arrogance is invincible.

When saved from danger, most people acknowledge and thank the hero. Lady Delcia can't, because it would involve stepping outside of the only world she knows. Demanding that she bow before your protagonisticness is similar to her demands that you bow before her nobility. Sometimes you just have to chuckle and get on with saving the universe.
    KuronaGrumStorytellerSkatan
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Take pity on Lady Delcia, you who are so harsh, for "... people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them" (Lazarus Long).
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2017
    She's so inconsequential that being angry is more a sign of insecurity than an appropriate reaction. In fact, aside from Edwin (himself bloated with unwarranted self-importance) and Anomen (very insecure) the party members either ignore her or are vaguely amused. Keldorn weakly attempts to preach compassion too but that's a paladin for you.
    GallowglassGrum
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    Her viewpoint is so funny I want to give titles to every commoner and make all nobles slaves just to annoy her. :D
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

The dialog could be all:
    You: You may have noble blood but I have divine blood. I could tell you the deity but you won't like it. I also grew up in the library fortress of Candlekeep which was a proper upbringing.

Bhaal wasn't of noble lineage, so god-child or not, your social status is still vastly inferior to that of De'Arnise family.
    EinhardtGrumlolienelminster
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    More than seven syllables? To a commoner?
    Still, that's pretty much the way she thinks. Suggested reply: Ah, yes, nobility. Those who rule their lands and manage their peasants. Much better than those who leave their mark on worlds and decide the fate of mortals, I'm sure.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kurona said:

She's so inconsequential that being angry is more a sign of insecurity than an appropriate reaction. In fact, aside from Edwin (himself bloated with unwarranted self-importance) and Anomen (very insecure) the party members either ignore her or are vaguely amused. Keldorn weakly attempts to preach compassion too but that's a paladin for you.

Not so unwarranted, best mage in the game.
    Just saying.

That's one of the advantages of power, no dealing with annoying inconsequentials, you just roast them.
    You think Irenicus would have been polite?
    "I haven't the time for this"
    profanitywarning
  • StorytellerStoryteller Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2017
    I think Lady Delcia Caan is a bit misunderstood. Yes, she is a snobby hose beast. But you have to keep in mind there's a legitimate reason for that: she is a product of her environment.

Peasants, commoners and barkeeps in the world of D&D don't have access to Google. These people don't know anything. They have superstitions and hearth wisdom in the place of any sort of education or enlightenment. Serfs are ignorant ass people who don't know how to read or write, they don't know how to clean themselves properly or swim, they barely know how to do anything other than work like a slave on their little plots of land to keep from being thrown in jail for not paying taxes. That's really all they can do with their trick busted-ass lives.

You have to consider the other side of the situation. If you're a noble, you have a degree of rights, freedoms, education, luxuries and sophistication that clearly sets you apart from these snaggle toothed serfs. And the fact is, the feudal system thrived on the backs of these people. Nobles would occasionally be benevolent to their subjects, but on the whole, when we talk about feudal lords we're talking about gangsters. We're talking about Tony Sopranos in platemail just raping and stealing because it is their right to do so. They didn't give a damn; nobles would take their taxes and the only thing these serfs got in return was a vague concept of physical safety.

We're talking about people who throw salt over their shoulders, plant daisies in front of their houses to protect themselves from pixies, and could possibly become belligerent and furious if you stepped on their shadow. They're afraid and fearful because they don't know anything. If you're a noble, who has been given all this education and refinement, you might feel pity for them (at best) but you don't really have anything in common with them. The gulf that divides you is just too great.

I'm not even talking about just mentally either, these people are physically, visibly different, with their jacked up teeth and busted up legs, their stooped posture, they just eat with their hands and they're dirty and grimy and stink of urine and body odor. These people deal with rickets and malnutrition and any injury is likely to result in a horrible infection. A broken leg or arm that is not set right is going to look crooked for the rest of their lives. You think they can afford temple healing like a noble?

Neither do these people travel. They live in probably about a five mile radius, and that's it, because of the sheer danger. There are bandits and slavers and wolves and owl bears out there, and they have one hit point. If they leave the protection of their lord's lands, they literally are taking their lives into their own hands, and that is not something most people with a family to provide for are prepared to do. Because guess what? The result of them dying is that their wife and eight kids are going to starve.

So if you're a person like Lady Delcia Caan, who has to deal with these disease-ridden gruel eating ignoramuses every single day, it's probably enough to turn you into exactly what she is: someone with zero freaking patience.
    bleusteel

Not so unwarranted, best mage in the game.
    Just saying.

That's one of the advantages of power, no dealing with annoying inconsequentials, you just roast them.
    You think Irenicus would have been polite?
    "I haven't the time for this"

You're talking about a guy who is such a buffoon that even the Red Wizards don't want him anymore. Edwin is a skilled mage there's no doubt about that (though in gameplay Aerie and Jan will eventually be more powerful than him) but his ego actually hurts him. Both the Nether Scroll incident and his epilogue happen because of his overconfidence.
    Storyteller
  • StorytellerStoryteller Member Posts: 38
    Kurona said:

You're talking about a guy who is such a buffoon that even the Red Wizards don't want him anymore. Edwin is a skilled mage there's no doubt about that (though in gameplay Aerie and Jan will eventually be more powerful than him) but his ego actually hurts him. Both the Nether Scroll incident and his epilogue happen because of his overconfidence.

Poor Edwin. He's like the Kanye West of mages.
    Kurona

Poor Edwin. He's like the Kanye West of mages.

Woah, slow down I wouldn't go that far!
    Please do not feed.