Skip to content

Travel Time and Favorite Weapon Questions

Just a couple random useless questions as I've started a new playthrough of IWD:EE

1. Shouldn't there be *some* appreciable travel time between Easthaven village and the Hills where the missing caravan is found? I didn't see any time pass on my clock, and the orc cave / ambush spot has to be at least some distance from the village one would think. Adding a several-hour travel window here would also make folks tend to maybe actually *use* the Snowdrift Inn on an occasional play-through. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

2. Favorite Weapon never seems to truly be the favorite weapon? Does anyone know what mechanic is used get this "fun stat"? It seems that once you kill a Beetle with a Quarterstaff, that's your favorite weapon for a very long time. I'm curious if its what you attack with more, or length of time one is carried, or what. Why do I care? That's a good question! :P

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited November 2014
    As to the first, I would have to agree with you: the first time I played IWD I thought that the cave was right across the bridge (maybe it is? I doubt it). There should be some time between the locations, for sure.

I have no idea how favorite weapon is determined.

EDIT: I cannot believe how terribly phrased the last sentence was earlier. May the gods have mercy on my soul.
    Post edited by dockaboomski on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    It records your kills so it stands to reason that they wouldn't record another variable like length of time carrying a weapon.

Either number of kills with a weapon or number of xp gained with a weapon or xp gained from kills with a weapon.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2014
    Accrording to @Eiler‌ (and @elminster‌ agrees with it) here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/84714/#Comment_84714

the "favoutite weapon" means the weapon you had equipped for most of your kills.

According to @Troodon80‌ 's answer here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/444547/#Comment_444547

the "most powerful enemy" is determined by XP.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • ShandooShandoo Member Posts: 51
    edited January 2017
    Troodon80 said:

It seems to be some number for each attempted attack. .

Hey, i know that thread is old, but i wonder about the same thing. How the hell the game chooses favorite weapon in character window? For example: In BG2: I know Minsc has most kills, damage and important enemies killed with 2handsword, but in that window it shows: Long bow + arrows.
    Wtf...
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    Bumping this since this seems to be the only thread I can find discussing the mechanics behind determining favourite weapon. My current character (although this is in BG2, but maybe it's the same system?) has five pips in scimitars and have used those for the absolute majority of the game. However, it says my favourite weapon is quarterstaff. I have used quarterstaves to summon elementals and to give myself fire shield. Maybe that somehow counts as really something in the game's eyes.

With the same character in BG1, it said for a long while that my favourite weapon was halberd. I only used a halberd once, cheesing Drizzt as my dismissed companions encircled him. It took an enormous amount of swings to hit him enough to kill him, so what someone wrote above regarding the number of swings might be correct. But still, I must have swung more with a scimitar since I used it for the other 99 % of the game. Or maybe it somehow counts the weapon that has killed the most powerful enemy.