Skip to content

Auto-Identify

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
edited January 2017 in UI Discussion and Workshop
Pretty simple: if someone in the party have enough Lore to identify an item it will be automatically identified, no matter what party member picks-up or holds the item.

It will make inventory management more simple and save time. It's kind of boring to pick-up, transfer, identify (or not!), transfer back, properly store (inside some case or bag) - repeat for every item.

If the picked item keeps "blue" you will know for sure that no one in the party is able to identify it.
ThacoBellCrevsDaakGrammarsaladthemazingnessislandkingtoolarg

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    So basically, a Group Lore option like how there's Group Infravision.
    RaduzielCrevsDaak
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As long as it only works within the same range as the ability to 'pass' the item to the party member with the high enough lore.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Pokota said:

So basically, a Group Lore option like how there's Group Infravision.

There it is, now we have a name.

Come on, Beamdog, make it happen :smile:

@dunbar I don't see why this restriction would be needed, but I don't dislike it IF the item get automatically identified as soon as we get within range.
    @Raduziel Simply because that's the way it works at the moment - you have to transfer the item to the mage's inventory in order for it to be identified.
    Also, mages tend to be squishy and useful items tend to be in places designed to squish people (for example the items guarded by the golems in the d'Arnise keep) and the defences are often triggered by picking the item up - if a fighter could then immediately use that item to defend him/herself because it's been somehow identified by a mage several rooms away it would make a mockery of the game.
    CrevsDaakAxie
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited January 2017
    Pretty sure the original suggestion was based on Lore, not the ID spell.

I can support this idea if there's also an option to disallow the ID spell during combat (not unlike how you can't save in combat). I like running bards.
    CrevsDaakGrammarsalad
    I only used 'mage' for simplicity, substitute "whichever party member happens to have the highest lore rating" and my comment still stands, as the "wisest" party members are normally the squishiest.

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, just that it should work the way it does now but cutting out the middle man as it were.
    Axie
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Not sure how this helps realism. It might make sense to select the item and in highlight who can identify the item best.

Auto identify seems like a similar solution to modding all items to be identified by default (and then mod the identify spell into something else).
    @lroumen

It's not a matter of realism, but of time management.

And it's not the same as modding all items to be identified, because you would actually need someone in the party who is able to identify the item. It would only skip the transfer-identify-transfer routine.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakGrammarsaladtoolarg
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ah, just that. Okay I can see why that would be useful.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I like the idea of a group lore thing, but I think we should retain the need to right click items to identify, just because I use the blue background to discern between magical loot and junk I don't want to bother with.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakGrammarsaladAxie
    Durenas said:

I like the idea of a group lore thing, but I think we should retain the need to right click items to identify, just because I use the blue background to discern between magical loot and junk I don't want to bother with.

Yeah, my idea is to keep the "right-click" mechanic. The diference is it will be a group lore-check, not a character lore-check.
    CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RaduzielelminsterAxie
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    dunbar said:

@Raduziel Simply because that's the way it works at the moment - you have to transfer the item to the mage's inventory in order for it to be identified.
    Also, mages tend to be squishy and useful items tend to be in places designed to squish people (for example the items guarded by the golems in the d'Arnise keep) and the defences are often triggered by picking the item up - if a fighter could then immediately use that item to defend him/herself because it's been somehow identified by a mage several rooms away it would make a mockery of the game.

No it wouldn't. I usually clear out that room of all but the biggest golem and I normally do that as the first major quest. Also, I never steal everything and fight all 6 golems, that's just amazingly stupid. Do you play on easy? If you steal all the weapons you are hasted and run for it.