Skip to content

game won't recognized portraits folder

H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
edited January 2017 in Troubleshooting
I added the portraits folder to "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" and when I click on "custom" when choosing a portrait in the character creation process, it shows me the screen telling me what I need to do in order to use custom portraits. The game is not recognizing the folder.

To clarify: I am looking for the list of filenames that appears in-game when you click on "custom," where you can browse/scroll and select the portrait you want.
Post edited by H0RSE on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how long are your portrait names? im pretty sure they can't be more than 7 characters or something like that or else the game doesn't recognize them
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    The portraits are no longer shown under custom - just scroll back from the first one shown to get to your own.

If a portrait is not showing up properly (just appears as a blank) it's probably because you've got capital letters in the file name - the EE doesn't like that.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Try clicking the left arrow instead, all portraits should be accessible from there instead of split into original and custom.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    They were showing up when i hit the arrow, but I wanted the "custom" list of names. It makes it so much easier to scroll through and select what I want. If the removed this feature, that's unfortunate.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Agreed, @H0RSE. The new mechanism is okay if you've got just two or three custom portraits, but it's a major PITA if you've got scores of them, being forced to scroll through one at a time instead of just picking the file from a list. It also means that all male and female custom portraits now show for every character generated (instead of understanding the sex from the filename as in the old mechanism), which is just plain sloppy programming.

Note to the devs: most of your UI changes are indeed enhancements, but this is not one of them.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2017
    I tried the portrait picker in the UI mod thread - it won't work. game just crashes. The amount of effort needed to add the portrait picker isn't worth it anyway, with all the text editing and preparing your portraits. I'll just add the specific portraits that I want to use at the time, so I don't have to navigate through a sea of portraits.