Skip to content

BGEE physical copy compatible with SoD?

I have the physical copy of BGEE and I'm wondering how you're supposed to get SoD to work with it. It seems I can't buy SoD seperate from BGEE.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Yes, you should buy SoD exactly at that store you have bought BGEE.

Currently, there's no way to patch BGEE on physical disks, and thus there's no way to install SoD as an expansion for BGEE from your CD/DVD.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    This really won't do, @JuliusBorisov.

I don't think Beamdog ever warned physical-disk customers that there'd effectively be no support for that version, which wasn't fair, and now not being able to install SoD leaves them even further out in the cold. I know they've said they're hoping to enable update-patching for physical-disk customers eventually, but I reckon it morally ought to be a high priority to sort this out a.s.a.p.

If they can't quickly figure out a way to enable patching, then I suggest that Beamdog ought at least to offer a disk-swap option, i.e. send back the old disk (plus payment for SoD) to receive an updated version including SoD. Or something like that.
  • raskensraskens Member Posts: 2
    I agree with @Gallowglass

I can't find any information on the box that say's it's unpatchable. Actually the only place where I've found this information are on these forums, which doesn't cut it. As compensation I should get a free digital copy of BGEE.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I can't give official advice, but maybe you can ask for a Steam-key through support@beamdog.com
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Aha! Good news!

It's still no use for customers who are still running WinXP (and hey, that's still a lot of customers!), but at least there's now a solution for physical-disk customers running more current systems, so this announcement is genuine progress.

So well done, Beamdog, thanks.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

Aha! Good news!

It's still no use for customers who are still running WinXP (and hey, that's still a lot of customers!), but at least there's now a solution for physical-disk customers running more current systems, so this announcement is genuine progress.

So well done, Beamdog, thanks.

For WinXP users there may be a workaround. If the physical EE owner redeems their copy of the game on a different machine, they can get the game through a legacy installer because their licence for the game will be attached to their Beamdog account.