Skip to content

Why is There No IWD2 Enhanced Edition?

thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
Who knows if the New game Beamdog is working on is it... But lets say it isn't, Just wondering why You guys at Beamdog have Not done a IWD2 Enhanced Edition?? is it a Not possible because of the Code? or other reasons?
I was just curious.

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Third edition makes all of their work void and they would have to start from scratch over again, I imagine.

and they probably won't spend that sort of ressources for a product that has subpar sales
    semiticgoddess
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    I loved IWD2, and I would love to see a spruced-up version. I just don't see it ever being worth Beamdog's time and trouble.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    From a 2014 PC Gamer article:
    "Icewind Dale II implemented the 3rd Edition rules and has a completely different UI scheme. We're really not sure how deep those changes run," Oster explained. "The move to 3rd Edition rules would invalidate all the character classes and require a pretty thorough rework of the entire game to bring in the features from our Infinity Plus Engine. At minimum, nightmares abound."
    http://www.pcgamer.com/nightmares-abound-for-icewind-dale-ii-enhanced-edition-beamdog-boss-says/

IWDEE was easily doable because it didn't stray too far from the BG1 codebase, and they started from the IWD-in-BG2 mod written by DavidW and CamDawg. IWD2 is, unfortunately, a different beast altogether.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2017
    Chances are there is no IWD2:EE because it hasn't been worked on (for all we know). I however find it very unlikely that Beamdog won't ever release an enhanced edition of IWD2. Given the fact that they already purchased the rights of that franchise. It may take them a good deal of time, true. But it is not an unrealistic or impossible task for them to deal with.

But as the saying goes; only time will tell.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    pst and iwd2 may not get ee. may as well just buy them off gog.
  • FelidireFelidire Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017

pst and iwd2 may not get ee. may as well just buy them off gog.

That'd be a shame, they're the two best ones imo. Want a 10/10 story? Go PS:T. Want 10/10 challenging combat? go IWD2.

7/10 across the board? IWD & BG.
    CrevsDaak