Skip to content

Sound Bug still not fixed ????

JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
So it has been I-don't-know-how-many months since the game has been released. Back then I held back from playing it because for me the game was plagued be a sound bug that, quite simply, would cause the game to have no sound at all. And I am calling it a bug/glitch because it was not 100% consistent. There were times when to sound worked just fine, but 80% of time the game just would not have any sound upon startup.

So, do we by now at least know how to fix/circumvent this problem ? I cannot believe this has not been addressed yet...

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sound works fine for me, is there a bug ticket open?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Jonnecy: What patch version of the game and OS are you playing on? Might help to narrow down the problem.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    2.3.67.3; already had this issue when the game had just come out.
    Win7 ult. 64bit US.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56

Sound works fine for me, is there a bug ticket open?

yes, already submitted one.
  • MightydruidMightydruid Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone :)
    I was wondering is this sound issue has been sorted out yet or not? I tried loads of different suggested fixes but with no success yet :/ it's quite annoying considering the classic version i used to play like about 20 years ago had no issues at all.
    So i thought i'd subscribe to this forum and hopefully get some help. Thanks for your patience
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2017

Hi everyone :)
    I was wondering is this sound issue has been sorted out yet or not? I tried loads of different suggested fixes but with no success yet :/ it's quite annoying considering the classic version i used to play like about 20 years ago had no issues at all.
    So i thought i'd subscribe to this forum and hopefully get some help. Thanks for your patience

What sound card are you using (and what is your operating system)

What suggestions have you tried so far?
    Hei Elminster,
    i am using the Sound Blaster X-FI on the motherboard and my OS is Windows 10.
    So far I tried:
    - tweaking some audio options with creative Alchemy/Windows sound configuration
    - reinstalling the game from the standalone installer instead of beamdog platform
    - uninstalling and reinstalling OpenAL32.dll from the website
    - copying the openAL32.dll file from another game folder and pasting it to BGEE folder

All of these, after having upgraded video/audio drivers up to the latest version, unfortunately have revealed unsuccesful. :(

Hei Elminster,
    i am using the Sound Blaster X-FI on the motherboard and my OS is Windows 10.
    So far I tried:
    - tweaking some audio options with creative Alchemy/Windows sound configuration
    - reinstalling the game from the standalone installer instead of beamdog platform
    - uninstalling and reinstalling OpenAL32.dll from the website
    - copying the openAL32.dll file from another game folder and pasting it to BGEE folder

All of these, after having upgraded video/audio drivers up to the latest version, unfortunately have revealed unsuccesful. :(

What model is your motherboard? (and what is your current audio driver # )

Also make sure you updated any drivers by going through the manufacturers website (not windows update).
    I've always updated my hardware through manufacturers rather than windows. My motherboard is Area51 from Alienware (sorry i wasn't able to find more details about it) and my current audio drivers are 2.40.15
    edited February 2017

I've always updated my hardware through manufacturers rather than windows. My motherboard is Area51 from Alienware (sorry i wasn't able to find more details about it) and my current audio drivers are 2.40.15

Can you attach a copy of your dxdiag here? (the forum has an attach file button, looks like a piece of paper with the top right corner folded inward)
    Now that i checked dxdiag it mentions something about a ctaud2k.sys not being digitally signed, though i use the official Creative Autoupdate software to keep my hardware up to date.
    edited February 2017
    You may want to check over some of the solutions mentioned in the links here.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/591687/#Comment_591687

particularly this one https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/35183/no-sound
    JuliusBorisov
    i tried both solution but now after changing drivers and turnin X-FI into the generic high definition audio device i can't hear any sound at all in BGEE (i can still hear sounds in windows though, i haven't tried other games it's defo time to sleep :P). i'll try to figure out tomorrow. Thanks for your consistent help and patience. i'll keep you updated
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
    apparently after turning the SB X-FI Titanium into Generic High Definition Audio from the device manager and reinstalling Openal drivers through that oalinst.zip file (that can be downloaded following one of the links provided in this forum) seems to be the only solution for me to play BGEE without sound issue.

The price though is to give up your 3d surround effect granted by the x-fi, that means (especially) outside BGEE. So allthough i could play the bioware game finally without any sound issue (beside no surround effect, but being just one game could be even allright to bear) i am not willing to give up the chance to have full 5.1 surround effect for any other multimedia function in my computer.

I might be wrong or incapable to sort it out in a different way (if so please illuminate me, am at a loss of options) but i find it very annoying and unfair for a compromise, considered WE PAID for an enhanced edition that shouldn't have us struggling or giving up resources we could use in order to play.

I hope i was clear with my concept, am not native english so there could be misunderstandings ;)
  • FicjuszFicjusz Member Posts: 20
    I was suffering from this issue even if I don't have any SoundBlaster card. Nothing seemed to be working, even if I repeatedly reinstalled Open AL. What surprisingly worked was this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72058/all-games-yet-another-no-sound-fix/p1.
    JuliusBorisov