Skip to content

Need Help!! Invalid items description after reinstalling

gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
edited February 2017 in General Modding
Hi guys need help here, seem like all my dialogue is gone after reinstalling despite I pasting over all my chitin.key, dialogue.tlk and override files!

I did a full reinstalled and use modmerge to extract files again. Then copy my override, dialogue and chitin key over. Now appear invalid *number string* for display. I use DLTCEP to see the items description seem to be all fine!

Any idea what is happening?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbdeltheGenericAbdeltheGeneric Member Posts: 4
    Somewhat related question involving otem description. Hours of google have not helped. Used NI to alter 1 item. I do not want to create a new item, only to alter an existing item, and as a small tweak likely has very little value to others so i probably (definitely) wont publish. For those reasons i used NI to edit name and description in .tlk but changes do not appear in game. I have .tlk in the root which is edited. I put a copy of it in override folder which did squat. I have an unedited .tlk under lang/useng. Replacing that one with the edited version causes crash.

All i am doing is bumping Foebane+5 up to a +6 with appropriate to-hit and a small mag resist buff. All effects work fine. Just want it named and described properly and i suck balls at this. Today is my first day.
    I moved it to the root so that NI could read it which you supposedly have to do. The only unrecommended move was to override which it seems had no effect anyway and have since deleted. Obviously i have a vanilla backup on my desktoo as well
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Near Infinity supports the original location of the dialog.tlk in Enhanced Editions for quite some time. You must be using an ancient NI release or following an outdated practice.

See here for the latest NI version: https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/latest
    AbdeltheGeneric
    Thank you. I did get my instructions wherever i could find them and are probably outdated. I assume them if i remove .tlk from the root ni will automatically edit .tlk in its original location.
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190

I would never overwrite chitin.key. I never ever touch that file...

But admittedly I have zero clue whether that could be related to what you are seeing.

Are you sure you copied dialog.tlk back to the right place? (Aren't there two copies of dialog.tlk in your SoD install? I would copy your old version to both places.

You mean which 2 locations? I only found one .tlk in EN_US folder under LANG folder. Unless u refer to the dialogue.tlk.old as well?
    AbdeltheGeneric
    On the money! My NI AND my instructions were outdated. Used the link, got the good stuff, flawless. Thanks a million. Wish i asked about 12 hours and many cuss words earlier.
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    Thanks guy, I finally resolved all the issue, after I did a clean install, remove everything.

1) Did a mod merge from start
    2) Copy the override over
    3) Redid all the dialogue using DLTCEP again

Its works! :)

I believe the issue is the modmerge. But once I used that after a clean installation