Skip to content

Drizzt-slaying at level 1 (LoB difficulty)

First of all, it's a well-known fact that LoB Drizzt is buggy, the problem being LoB mode 'increases' his ApR to 0. So, if you want to experience the LoB Drizzt the way he should be (and probably will be in the next patch), put the attached .cre file in your override folder. It's a simple solution that decreases his natural non-LoB ApR to 9, thus enabling him to attack 10 times per round on LoB, as intended.

Secondly, about that Drizzt-slaying thing. There is a hard and an easy way to do it. No exploits involved in both. Let's start with the hard one.
1. I rolled a 100 pts elf barbarian (no kidding, 100 pts, Str 18/94 -- a screenshot of a roll attached). Rationale: elf - elves are 90% immune to charm, and Drizzt's script won't try to Dire Charm elven characters; barbarian - +2 movement speed is essential, you'll see why.
2. Bought a sling and a lot of bullets. And I mean it: a lot. Think about it this way: a LoB Drizzt has 356 hp (92x3+80) and casts Cure Medium Wounds X1 once he is at 50% hp, which gives us a grand total of 370 hp. The gnolls are going to get him down to ~250 hp. You can only hit him on a natural 20. A bullet stack size is 80. You will deal the average of 6 dmg per hit. Do your math. 10-12 ammo stacks is the optimum, IMHO.
3. Talked to Gorion, Chapter One started, immediately walked all the way down to Fisherman's Lake. Found Drizzt, let the gnolls damage him, then proceeded to kite him around the large rock to the south of his original location, scoring critical hits every now and then with my trusty sling.
4. This is quite an ordeal. A true test of patience that will steal several hours of your precious real life time. Eventually, though, Drizzt will fall -- he can't catch up to a barbarian -- and, you know the drill: level 4 off the bat, the best armor a barbarian can don in BG1, plus Twinkle & Icingdeath. Oh, by the way, another advantage of +2 movement speed is you can actually outrun him in such a way he remains off-screen and... save your game. For the disbelievers, I have the whole process recorded with fraps (will upload if requested).

Now, the easy way I promised to tell about. The only thing it requires is stormy weather (common in Fisherman's Lake area).

Here, see for yourself.

The very first time it happened, I was probably at least as surprised as Drizzt was. It happened a couple of times after that, so it's surely not a one in a million chance (both rain and lightning probability in AR4200 are 50%, if you are curious). You don't get the 12,000 xp this way, of course. The Mithral Chain and the scimitars are yours anyway, though.
JuliusBorisovlolienArctodusCrevsDaakHarpagornisSpaceInvader

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Always love seeing overpowered illegal APR; illegal high damage Drizzt dead.

I wonder if it is possible to script an NPC walking and kiting around in circles. Thus would make this ordeal much easier
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Natural lightning does 50% of original full HPs (rounded down). You can therefore wear Drizzt down to where he casts cure wounds then try waiting for a lightning strike - leaving only 1 or 2 hits needed to finish him off and get the XP ...
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2017
    Grond0 said:

Natural lightning does 50% of original full HPs (rounded down). You can therefore wear Drizzt down to where he casts cure wounds then try waiting for a lightning strike - leaving only 1 or 2 hits needed to finish him off and get the XP ...

While a lightning strike (I'm talking about a Drizzt-slaying lighting strike here, yes?) in AR4200 is not a once-in-a-lifetime occurence, it's still rare enough to make it quite unreliable. But on a theoretical level, I like your idea :)
    edited February 2017
    billbisco said:

Always love seeing overpowered illegal APR; illegal high damage Drizzt dead.

I wonder if it is possible to script an NPC walking and kiting around in circles. Thus would make this ordeal much easier

I tried to. While I'm surely no Mr Scripter, I believe I can make a reasonably reliable simple script. The problem is it takes the script too much time to resume running from Drizzt after you attack him. When I moved the character myself, but tried to rely on a script to auto-target Drizzt the moment I stop, it didn't work smoothly and got me killed as well. So it's probably no good. Again, maybe it's just my questionable scripting skills that are no good :)
    Post edited by Tisamon on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Nah, scripts are slower than what the player can be.
    @CrevsDaak

Btw, you are one of the creators of EET, no? If I'm not mistaken, can you please send me a beta of your Ironman mode (with that messed-up rest thing, yeah) from EET Tweaks?
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Very cool stuff regarding Drizzt - i like this borderline masochistic approach! :D

Maybe you wanna join our LoB + SCS challenge @Tisamon? You can put in no-reload as @Grond0 or @Blackraven if you like. Or play the whole challenge as a level 1 char. Okay - that was joking. I had some fun with your old "IWD Warrior Challenge" - maybe you remember. We need some competent Clerics. Or Druids. Or Bards. Or Rangers. Or Paladins. Or Shamans!!! Its up to you! ;)
    JuliusBorisov

Very cool stuff regarding Drizzt - i like this borderline masochistic approach! :D

Maybe you wanna join our LoB + SCS challenge @Tisamon? You can put in no-reload as @Grond0 or @Blackraven if you like. Or play the whole challenge as a level 1 char. Okay - that was joking. I had some fun with your old "IWD Warrior Challenge" - maybe you remember. We need some competent Clerics. Or Druids. Or Bards. Or Rangers. Or Paladins. Or Shamans!!! Its up to you! ;)

@Harpagornis

I can surely try it. SCS+LoB? I tried a mix of Weimer's Tactics (as I find it more challenging than SCS in more ways than one) and Improved Battles + LoB up to a point. A cleric or a druid sounds fine, yes. Any race/class restrictions?
    JuliusBorisovHarpagornis
    edited February 2017
    No class/race restrictions. Tactics is optional - i also use parts of it to push some boss battles. @Grondo + @Blackraven restrict themself to no-reload but it seems this is too harsh. Just take a look at the thread where you can find which classes are played or how far they have come. Some classes wont be viable thanks to SoD crazyness but if you think you can get a Monk through - try it! ;)
    @Harpagornis

The ideal playthrough should contain Baldurs Gate → Tales of the Swordcoast → Siege of Dragonspear → Baldurs Gate 2 → Throne of Bhaal.

If the challenge is about finishing the game, TotSC is not mandatory, it's really just a bunch of difficult side-quests. As for all the rest, only the critical path is mandatory, one is not required to clear the Sahuagin city or to obtain a stronghold, for example, right?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tisamon said:

@CrevsDaak

Btw, you are one of the creators of EET, no? If I'm not mistaken, can you please send me a beta of your Ironman mode (with that messed-up rest thing, yeah) from EET Tweaks?

I am a contributor, K4thos/swit is the creator. The Ironman mode doesn't work properly because of this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40487/opcode-338-disable-rest-or-save-seems-to-be-partially-broken

Also the component isn't updated to work with v2.3. It is here if you want to take a look, https://github.com/K4thos/EET_Tweaks/blob/master/EET_Tweaks/EET_Tweaks.tp2#L2818
    It'll need an update to work properly in the current version of the game given opcode 338 works properly.
    JuliusBorisov
    No, you do not have to finish all sidequests so skipping parts of the game is okay. With regard to TotSC: My first chars finished all of it but after that it got boring. Personally i would be happy if this part is not skipped but at the end i would call it "optional".

P.S. You may also post in our challenge-thread. If you like! ;)
    JuliusBorisov
    CrevsDaak said:

Tisamon said:

@CrevsDaak

I am a contributor, K4thos/swit is the creator. The Ironman mode doesn't work properly because of this: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40487/opcode-338-disable-rest-or-save-seems-to-be-partially-broken

Also the component isn't updated to work with v2.3. It is here if you want to take a look, https://github.com/K4thos/EET_Tweaks/blob/master/EET_Tweaks/EET_Tweaks.tp2#L2818
    It'll need an update to work properly in the current version of the game given opcode 338 works properly.
    Thanks!
    CrevsDaak

No, you do not have to finish all sidequests so skipping parts of the game is okay. With regard to TotSC: My first chars finished all of it but after that it got boring. Personally i would be happy if this part is not skipped but at the end i would call it "optional".

P.S. You may also post in our challenge-thread. If you like! ;)

@Harpagornis

All right, I understand. One last question: is rolling a character in IWDEE, then exporting it to BGEE acceptable? (IWDEE, like the original IWD, allows elven druids.)
    Elven Druids sounds cool so if you wanna play the export/import game to get a class-race-combo that is officially not allowed in BG - but in IWD - i think: Its okay! ;)

P.S. I would be REALLY interested how you get past Coalition Camp attacks or Belhifet!
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2017

Elven Druids sounds cool so if you wanna play the export/import game to get a class-race-combo that is officially not allowed in BG - but in IWD - i think: Its okay! ;)

P.S. I would be REALLY interested how you get past Coalition Camp attacks or Belhifet!

@Harpagornis

Coalition Camp attacks = trolls & ogres wave, wizards wave, etc.?

Another important question in this context is: am I allowed to deploy allied units during the attacks (archers with fire arrows etc.)? Or, during the fight with Belhifet, am I allowed to make use of an ally (cyan circle) Caelar? Accepting her into the party is clearly a no-no, that's a solo challenge.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, the archers, wizard slayers and so on are allowed - at least for me - as there wouldnt be many classes to get through all waves without any help. Even with the allies some classes will end here - for instance: My Cavalier failed to get through the waves without Arrows of Detonation and kiting with Axes did not work for me. But maybe i did not tried hard enough. If you know a viable strategy - tell us! ;)

Using allied Caelar is also okay for me even though @Grond0 might disagree in this point. At the end its up to you as i dont want to determine every single detail. ;)
    JuliusBorisov
    I've never actually got to that point in the game, so it's hard to comment intelligently. However, if this is the equivalent of something like the fight at the palace where units fight with you - but not under your control - that wouldn't be a problem for me. Even if it were a problem for me of course that would be no reason why it should be a problem for you ;).
    @Harpagornis @Grond0

Did you guys use Korax to farm basilisks? He's not a party member, technically.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Yep, we use him.
    edited February 2017
    Tisamon said:

@Harpagornis @Grond0

I have used him in the past - though essentially for Mutamin and Kirian's party. Technically, Korax is a charmed creature and I've also been making use of Algernon's Cloak to speed up some other encounters. At a later point in the run I would also expect to make use of summons, though it's a while since I've been in a position to do that - I'm currently playing under the rules for most of BG1 of no use of any consumables (wands, potions, scrolls etc) and no purchases of any item for more than the minimum possible cost.
    Grond0 said:

Tisamon said:

@Harpagornis @Grond0

I have used him in the past - though essentially for Mutamin and Kirian's party. Technically, Korax is a charmed creature and I've also been making use of Algernon's Cloak to speed up some other encounters. At a later point in the run I would also expect to make use of summons, though it's a while since I've been in a position to do that - I'm currently playing under the rules for most of BG1 of no use of any consumables (wands, potions, scrolls etc) and no purchases of any item for more than the minimum possible cost.
    @Grond0

Well, now that you mention it: I usually limit myself to either 3 spells/3 items/1 non-rechargeable consumable per campaign, or 2 spells/2 items/1 consumable, depending on a class I play. More precisely, the quickslot spells (3 for a druid, 2 for a cleric) + one weapon, one chest armor, one trinket. Unmodded BG1 and Tactics-enhanced SoA are doable this way, but I've never tried SoD or ToB.

There are two problems with this approach. First of all, it's very hard for a non-caster. I've done the unmodded BG1 with a Barbarian (Mithral Chain, Twinkle, Sandthief's Ring, Tome of Strength), but it felt extremely awkward and silly -- for example, the Slythe fight. There is also a terminology issue. What is a consumable? Is a tome a consumable? Technically, yes, no doubt. But it limits me to one tome only. Is Stone Ally a consumable? Probably yes, as it sits in a consumable slot and has a finite number of charges (not X/day). Is Efreeti Bottle a consumable? Probably not, as it's 'infinite', and that feels wrong. Etc., etc.
    edited February 2017
    At the end its up to you how much you restrict yourself @Tisamon. If you are having fun with this approach: Lets go! :)

Barbarian is very powerful - i used one in our challenge and got till Ascension Amelyssan - where she failed.

Looking at the whole challenge i would say: SoD is the hardest part - especially the Attacks at Coalition Camp and even more Belhifet. The last one was the only battle that came somewhat close to the Ascension final - at least its the battle where i have the most fails so far. Some classes will suffer horribly there. For instance: I cant see how a Monk is going to survive Belhifet at the moment. Maybe you can find a way? ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    Tisamon said:

There is also a terminology issue. What is a consumable? Is a tome a consumable? Technically, yes, no doubt. But it limits me to one tome only. Is Stone Ally a consumable? Probably yes, as it sits in a consumable slot and has a finite number of charges (not X/day). Is Efreeti Bottle a consumable? Probably not, as it's 'infinite', and that feels wrong. Etc., etc.

@Tisamon I agree there are grey areas, but I don't see the need to worry about that. If you're using restrictions then just do what feels right to you :). Typically I do make an exception for tomes and allow those, though sometimes I don't. Typically also I play with fewer restrictions in BG2 - perhaps reflecting I've played BG1 more over the years.
    @Harpagornis @Grond0

Anyway, I'm going to try the SCS+LoB challenge the moment I finish my SoA Tactics run with EET. Exploring the new possibilities, you know :)

As a sidenote, I think EET will eventually become the norm for us the hardcore crowd. The mod, beyond its obvious merits, works very smoothly and adds an Ironman mode, so...
    Harpagornis
    Very cool @Tisamon! Good luck and have fun with your SoA Tactics Run! ;)