Skip to content

BG - Durlag’s Books Should be Scrolls So they can be Copied/Stored

gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
edited September 2015 in Feature Requests
In Durlag’s Tower, you encounter numerous books scattered around the floors that usually only have one line written in them. Since they are in books, they cannot be copied or stored in a scroll case, and it doesn’t make sense for Durlag to use an entire book to write one line of information.

Suggestion: Change the books to scrolls so they can be copied and stored (and so they make more sense).

Comments

• filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115

In Durlag’s Tower, you encounter numerous books scattered around the floors that usually only have one line written in them. Since they are in books, they cannot be copied or stored in a scroll case, and it doesn’t make sense for Durlag to use an entire book to write one line of information.

Suggestion: Change the books to scrolls so they can be copied and stored (and so they make more sense).

nice idea
  • RotoitiRotoiti Member Posts: 5
    Agree with the suggestion to change the books to scrolls, so it's possible to copy them.

FWIW, it's possible to copy/paste into the journal. Though not possible to copy to the text on the screen.

To that end, I transcribed them all for my journal, so thought I'd share for anyone else. If I've made a mistake, or missed one, let me know.

Obviously, this technically counts as SPOILERS...

These are the ones from the 2nd level of the labyrinth:

Moved ne'er by rage and ne'er by anger,
    Cold is the trait'rous doppelganger.

Too young to fight, except to fall,
    Here died my son, young Fuernebol.

Oh, Kiel, Clan-prince of this dark tower,
    You made your death, your finest hour.

Islanne, my wife, I love you still.
    'Twas just your form they made me kill.

Soft walks the trait'rous doppelganger
    Into my dear son's practice chamber.

Foul mimic of the mortal man,
    'Twas in my shape they killed Islanne.

Taste My Fear

Face My Demons

Seek No Exit

Know No Refuge

Feel No Warmth

Dance With The Dead

Know My Madness

Here fell Kiel the Legion Killer
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited February 2017
    the reason why 16 Durlag's Dusty Books are not storable is becasue they are categorized as 'Miscellaneous' rather than 'Book'. Books are accepted by "Scroll Case" just fine the same way as scrolls.

@gugulug5000, I'm interested in implementing your idea in this tweak mod if you don't mind: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27754

I think the same component could also analyse all items in game that uses "GBOOK01.BAM" ground icon and assign them 'Book' category if:
    - item uses 'Miscellaneous' category
    - item doesn't have any abilities or effects (in such case 'Miscellaneous' category is needed so that item can be placed in Quick Slot)
    - item not listed in ITEMDIAL.2DA and ITEMSPEC.2DA

Can anyone think about potential compatibility issues by doing so? Seems safe to me since it only affects which stores can buy the item and if it can be stored in Book Case, but maybe I'm missing something.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    sounds great to me!
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited February 2017
    done, will be implemented in the next version of the above mentioned tweak mod. Also added scrolls for categorization.

Books/Scrolls categorization

This tweak automatically categorizes Book and Scroll item files to use appropriate category (if needed) in order to make them storable in Scroll Case (impossible if the item uses Miscellaneous category, which is often the case for Books and sometimes for Scrolls). Items referenced in ITEMDIAL.2DA, ITEMSPEC.2DA and Books with effects and/or abilities are excluded from categorization. Category detection is done by comparing default ground icons assigned to items (GBOOK01 for books, GSCRL01.BAM for scrolls).

The component also changes 16 'Dusty Books' scattered around the Durlag’s Tower floors, that usually only have one line written in them, into scrolls (with name changed to 'Dusty Page', appropriate Inventory, Ground, Description icons, weight and price assigned). This makes them copyable into Journal and I think makes a bit more sense - why would Durlag use an entire 2 pounds book to write one line of information?
    Leaveing code here in case Beamdog would like to implement some of this stuff officially:

//Durlag's Tower 'Dusty Book' tweak
    ACTION_FOR_EACH file IN BOOK71 BOOK72 BOOK73 BOOK74 BOOK75 BOOK76 BOOK77 BOOK78 BOOK79 BOOK80 BOOK81 BOOK82 BOOK83 BOOK84 BOOK85 BOOK86 BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%file%.itm~ ~override~
    SAY NAME1 ~Dusty Page~ //@0 /*Dusty Page*/
    SAY NAME2 ~Dusty Page~ //@0 /*Dusty Page*/
    WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 11 //Scrolls
    WRITE_ASCII 0x3a ~IMISC8C~
    WRITE_ASCII 0x44 ~GSCRL01~
    WRITE_LONG 0x34 0
    WRITE_LONG 0x4c 0
    WRITE_ASCII 0x58 ~CMISC8C~
    BUT_ONLY
    END

//Fixes for incorrectly assigned ground icons
    ACTION_FOR_EACH file IN misc7e /*Fairy Dust*/ plot02h /*Deck of Cards*/ BEGIN
    ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%file%.itm~ BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%file%.itm~ ~override~ //
    READ_ASCII 0x44 groundIcon
    PATCH_IF (~%groundIcon%~ STR_EQ ~GBOOK01~) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x44 ~GSACK01~
    END
    BUT_ONLY
    END
    END
    ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~miscb2.itm~ BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~miscb2.itm~ ~override~ //Golden Goblet of Life
    PATCH_IF (~%groundIcon%~ STR_EQ ~GSCRL01~) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x44 ~GPOTN01~
    END
    BUT_ONLY
    END

//Books/Scrolls categorization
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
    READ_SHORT 0x1c category
    PATCH_IF (~%groundIcon%~ STR_EQ ~GBOOK01~) BEGIN //Book ground icon
    READ_SHORT 0x68 abilities_num
    READ_SHORT 0x70 effects_num
    PATCH_IF ((category = 0 /*Miscellaneous*/) OR (category = 11 /*Scrolls*/)) AND (abilities_num = 0) AND (effects_num = 0) AND (NOT FILE_CONTAINS_EVALUATED (~ITEMDIAL.2DA~ ~^[ %TAB%]*%SOURCE_RES%[ %TAB%]~)) AND (NOT FILE_CONTAINS_EVALUATED (~ITEMSPEC.2DA~ ~^[ %TAB%]*%SOURCE_RES%[ %TAB%]~)) BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 37 //Books
    PATCH_IF category = 0 BEGIN
    SPRINT type ~Miscellaneous~
    END ELSE BEGIN
    SPRINT type ~Scroll~
    END
    PATCH_PRINT ~Patching %SOURCE_FILE% category: %category% (%type%) => 37 (Book)~
    END
    END ELSE PATCH_IF (~%groundIcon%~ STR_EQ ~GSCRL01~) BEGIN //Scroll ground icon
    PATCH_IF ((category = 0 /*Miscellaneous*/) OR (category = 37 /*Books*/)) AND (NOT FILE_CONTAINS_EVALUATED (~ITEMDIAL.2DA~ ~^[ %TAB%]*%SOURCE_RES%[ %TAB%]~)) AND (NOT FILE_CONTAINS_EVALUATED (~ITEMSPEC.2DA~ ~^[ %TAB%]*%SOURCE_RES%[ %TAB%]~)) BEGIN
    WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 11 //Scrolls
    PATCH_IF category = 0 BEGIN
    SPRINT type ~Miscellaneous~
    END ELSE BEGIN
    SPRINT type ~Book~
    END
    PATCH_PRINT ~Patching %SOURCE_FILE% category: %category% (%type%) => 11 (Scroll)~
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    edited February 2017
    swit said:

@gugulug5000, I'm interested in implementing your idea in this tweak mod if you don't mind: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27754

Sounds good to me. Go for it. Seems like an easy thing for Beamdog to implement too.

EDIT: Just glancing over your mod, it looks pretty good to me. I may end up using it and I generally dislike using mods. Beamdog should incorporate a lot of those into the game.