Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• frostyshfrostysh Member Posts: 55
    "Mandatory for SCS are the basic improved AI settings, better calls for help, prebuffing, improved creatures & chapter-end-fights - including Ascension for ToB. Everything else is optional." -

1) Is Improved creature including "Improved Dragons", "Fiends", etc?

2) Where Arrow of Dispelling delete? - AoD is the mega-killing machine, totally imbalanced.

3) Where spells improvements? Lol - "Harm" = Dragon with 1 Hp... this is ridiculous.

4) Where imba-item removing? ,

5) Where improved Bosses?

6) Where other tactical challenges?

This is a low difficulty SCS mode :p
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited February 2017
    As i already stated earlier: I wanted to give only some sort of framing rules - the details are your own choice! Personally i am using all enemy improvements (at the maximum level) but not the item removing like Vhailors Helm. Arrows of Dispelling are not essential - my Barbarian never used them outside of some SoD encounters or the Palace Ambush in BG1. Improved Bosses? Sure! If even all the SCS + LoB settings are too easy for you: Install full Tactics Mode or whatever you like. Or play no-reload like @Grond0.

At the end its up to you! ;)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    I'm finally back to the grind as well, starting of with the siryns and watching Drizzt being helpless before the gnolls for the very first time. :)
    The only thing I'm gonna do before the main quest is probably gonna be Bassilus for that warhammer and then I'm gonna be max level at some point during the early stages of Nashkel Mines (cleric is already maxed).
    In the bandit camp I'm probably gonna swallow my pride and just walk in there with sanctuary not killing anyone, just because sanctuary is so good for that very thing compared to invisibility.
    edited February 2017
    The Sirens should suffer horribly against Undead so that should be fun farming @Victor_Creed_SFV! :D

Krell in the meanwhile speed-rushed through BG and aquired Baldurans Helm & Cloak. Candlekeep will be next - Strength Manual i am coming! Before getting Boots of Speed Krell shifted alot from bear to Human - be it for better positioning, rushing enemies or just escaping nasty enemies. Now its just business as usual with the exception that - thanks to Iron Skin - he can tank most enemies quite good in close combat. Scimitar Grand Mastery is really powerful at this stage of the game!

After setting up everything for the Palace Ambush Krell will take a ride to Durlags Tower first - will be interesting to see how he can deal with the Four Wardens. ;)

The Sirens should suffer horribly against Undead so that should be fun farming @Victor_Creed_SFV! :D

Krell in the meanwhile speed-rushed through BG and aquired Baldurans Helm & Cloak. Candlekeep will be next - Strength Manual i am coming! Before getting Boots of Speed Krell shifted alot from bear to Human - be it for better positioning, rushing enemies or just escaping nasty enemies. Now its just business as usual with the exception that - thanks to Iron Skin - he can tank most enemies quite good in close combat. Scimitar Grand Mastery is really powerful at this stage of the game!

After setting up everything for the Palace Ambush Krell will take a ride to Durlags Tower first - will be interesting to see how he can deal with the Four Wardens. ;)

Sadly the level 1 skeleton warriors are pretty shit and I was super surprised, that the sirens just stun them.
    But I knew from my earlier runs that I can just facetank them, since they don't use poison arrows up close and attack with their fists only.
    (I did rq my first attempt on them tho, due to having 0 concentration left after having a long session)

On Drizzt I even managed to laand the killing blow and get 12k xp, the reputation loss was quickly bought back. :D

edited February 2017
    Yeah, Krell did the same with Drizzt after some tries - worth! :D

The Sirens also stunned the wolves but they still worked as fine distractions while Krell went in close combat protected from Greenstone Amulet if needed.

After rushing through Candlekeep Krell will prepare for Durlags Tower and get the last Tomes before facing Sarevok. Maybe i should also visit the Werwolf Island once more... ;)

EDIT: After getting all three Wisdom Tomes Krell opened up the second level 5 spell - that should be quite useful later on. Durlags Tower is waiting!
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited February 2017
    Okay, Krell managed to beat the Palace Ambush! I was too curious about that one so Durlags Tower had to wait a bit more. At the end its quite easy for a Druid - even without the ususal potion overbuffing:

Krell put his summons in between the Nobles and immediately casts Insect Swarm at the Mage. This will cut down his powers nearly completly. Use Dispel Magic to get rid of Haste and Throw in another Insect Swarm - this will not only hurt alot but also nullifies the Priest if he wasnt affected by the first one. With Stoneskin and some Holy Might (and Haste) Krell now moved in to hack everyone down who attacks the Dukes (3 APR with 20-27 damage). Once they were relatively safe he hunted down the Mage who was still suffering from the Insects. After the house was cleaned up some more summons played with Sarevok until he disappeared.

After all the trouble on the last runs this one was a gentle breeze! ;)
    Yeah, Insect Swarm is incredibly strong in BG 1, probably also in SoD.
    In 2 it suffers from enemies with spell deflection, even good old Maevar has that with ScS. :(
    Grond0 said:

Yeah, Insect Swarm is incredibly strong in BG 1, probably also in SoD.
    In 2 it suffers from enemies with spell deflection, even good old Maevar has that with ScS. :(

Spell deflection / turning don't do enemies much good if you cast the swarm at your own summons as they head into the middle of the enemies :D.
    I honestly didn't have the slightest clue this works. :D
    Mulahey, Nimbul and Tranzig are dead.
    The Skeleton Warriors were pretty insane against Nimbul and Tranzig, no blind or hold Person had to hit them, they just died to the melee attacks of the skeletons.
    Also only potion of freedom as self buff vs Nimbul was necessary, due to them only casting spells at me, but not even trying to attack me, since they were aggroed by the skeletons.
    edited February 2017
    Krell fought his way through the third level of Durlags Tower - but ran into a dumb bug....

After beating the Ice -> Air -> Fire -> Earth Challenge - the order given by several guides - he is NOT teleported to the chess game. Even killing ALL adds does not help and also changing the order did not work. What am i doing wrong? On my last runs there was never any problem here. Do you remember your advance @Arctodus? This is really sad.... :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited February 2017
    @Harpagornis Yep, you gotta do what @chimaera said.

On my last runs there was never any problem here.

Me, that's the opposite. With SCS, I always had to use the console to warp to the chess room. You'll have to activate the console, sadly.
    Thanks for that info - was not aware about that one...

But... i cannot get the console running... Krell is stuck - damn it!!! >:)

So Werewolf Island or Sarevok - okay. Will have to take some rest first.

Seems that only bugs can stop Krell so far... :D
    Did you try opening the console with ^?
    For me whenever ° doesn't work ^ does, also goes for BG.
    Ofc console first needs to be activated in the ini file.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Frey continues to plug away - and continues to find ways to die. In the latest he had used his own skull traps and magic missiles to bring a battle horror to the point of death. His wand of fire could have finished it off, but looking in his scroll case he decided to use up a lightning bolt scroll. I rarely use lightning bolt - and there are good reasons for that! In this case the extra delay resulting from the use of the scroll allowed the battle horror to get close to Frey before the spell triggered. Unlike most spells the projectile for lightning bolt is not just a small point, but a bar - meaning that if the target is too close to you the projectile will be generated with its head at the target and the tail on you. It was little comfort that the lightning bolt did indeed kill the battle horror ...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2017
    Good job @Arctodus - and agreed on the Palace Ambush. I tried it with several classes now but for Warriors its quite tricky - regardless how much you plan or buff up there are too many things that can go wrong. I had the best success with Dispelling -> protect the Dukes -> press the Mage hard so you will soak most of his spells. But even this wont work all the time. For Casters like Druids - especially when beefed up with Fighter - this fight gets much easier.

Your first time SoD @Arctodus? Okay - this is going to be interesting. Are you going in it completly blind or read some of the strategies before? Without any prepration - at least for myself - SoD was a really tough nut to crack - especially the final part!!! Anyway: Good luck! ;)

Keep on trying @Grond0 and you will - hopefully soon - join the SoD fun trip! Krell prepared himself for the March to Dragonspear and did some questing as well as getting potions and scrolls from Sorcerous Sundries - nothing special. As there was no need for Arrows of Detonation or Dispelling he moved out with nearly 50k gold in his pocket - not a bad start! :)

P.S. Yeah, i also faced this Liia bug but on my last succesful try the Dopplegangers completly ignored her - and she survived! :D

P.P.S. I have to agree that the LoB + SCS is easier than i expected at the very beginning of this challenge. And with every new run it gets even easier. New mods or restrictions will be required in the future - for a new challenge. And no - it wont be a no-reload one! :D