Skip to content

New to the game.

SainderSainder Member Posts: 8
After going through Dragon age and mass effect like 12 times. I decided to play Biowares older games. Baldur's gate seems really promising. I'm going to play either Blackguard or Undeadhunter maybe Cavalier. I'm torn between dual wield or 2handed. Are there any good 2handed swords or halberd or is dual wielding superior in some way. What is a balanced party combination? The rest I will figure out for myself. Is there anything special about blackguard or Undeadhunter that is a must to know? I plan to play Baldur's gate 2 aswell

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    When you get into the sequel, as a paladin you have (eventual) access to the best two-handed sword in the series, Carsomyr. It is glorious. Sure, dual-wielding can get you cheesy combos, like the Flail of Ages in your main hand and Crom Faeyr in your off hand, and it's not exactly like you have a huge pip requirement to your weapons (being a paladin, you can only put two.) Still, two-handed sword plus two-handed style makes you attack pretty fast and have a very nice crit rate, all while using another as a meat shield, since the two-handed sword has better reach.

Plus, paladins just never struck me as dual-wielders.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I'd suggest going with 2 handed swords, as they are fairly common and have good abilities, although dual wielding long swords will also give you some good options. A balanced party would be 1-2 front line fighters, at least 1 mage, 1 thief if some type, 1 cleric, and maybe a useful utility class like bard or a ranged damage dealer. Ideally one person with a bow since there are a few really useful magic arrows.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Undead hunter and Cavalier are nice kits indeed, although second in my opinion to Inquisitor. It depends a lot on your playstyle and party members (and which status ailments that piss you off the most). I guess any good-aligned paladin is more beginner friendly than a Blackguard. By the time you get your hands on endgame gear in BG2, you will have 2 pips in several weapon profs.

In terms of party combination, I'd recommend a thief and a cleric or druid, and then it's up to you. Ranged attacks help out tremendously in the first game, whereas mages become kings in SoA. Try dual-wielding when you know the game better. A dual-wielding Fighter/Mage is arguably the strongest build in the game, but it takes some knowhow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

When you get into the sequel, as a paladin you have (eventual) access to the best two-handed sword in the series, Carsomyr. It is glorious. Sure, dual-wielding can get you cheesy combos, like the Flail of Ages in your main hand and Crom Faeyr in your off hand, and it's not exactly like you have a huge pip requirement to your weapons (being a paladin, you can only put two.) Still, two-handed sword plus two-handed style makes you attack pretty fast and have a very nice crit rate, all while using another as a meat shield, since the two-handed sword has better reach.

Plus, paladins just never struck me as dual-wielders.

This. I'd argue that 1 point in two-handed weapon style is all you need. It gives you the extra critical hit chance. The second point in the style just reduces your speed factor further. Not worth it imo. As for two-handed swords, there are great ones throughout the series. Note: Blackguards are a great class but they cannot use Carsomyr. Not to worry, though, there are great 2-handed evil options in BG2.

I agree fully with the party composition @Bigfish recommends.
  • SainderSainder Member Posts: 8
    Thank you all for the information you have given me.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    If it's your first time playing, I'd definitely recommend going with one of the good paladin options. Cavalier is fun, and my favourite of the paladin kits. The games are a lot easier if you're a good guy, and Baldur's Gate as a whole is pretty unforgiving, so playing an evil character may prove to be quite the challenge for someone who's never played before.

That being said, if you're committed to being evil, blackguards are a cool class. Plus, not being able to use Carsomyr isn't that bad- there are a ton of great two-handed choices out there, like halberds. Plus, halberds look way more evil and badass. ;)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Thats a real difference in roleplaying, good paladins vs blackguard. Imagine how you want to act THEN pick the kit based on that, not abilites. Easy to get restartitis with something you just cant get a feel for. 2H swords and Halberds good but 2H gives a better feel for the class considering the 2H weapons available . Good ones for good and bad paladins alike.
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    I soloed with blackguard before, he's good, I went for two-handed sword and halberd ofc. I like him more than other pal kits.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    My advice would be to play the game straight as it's your first time.
    Follow the indications in game that show you how to proceed.
    The start shows you quite clearly that you are not meant to be some schmancy fancy evil so and so. People like you, are nice to you.
    Ask yourself, not people here, what makes more sense to you.
    What sword do you imagine yourself to want to carry, after all, you are charname.

And one thing I garentee, any question asked here will inevitably have replies about things far, far later in the game, maybe in the 2nd/3rd part, that bear no relevence to you at the moment. But will just cause you to feel like you are not playing it "right", but there is no "right".

It's a wonderful game, very immersive and if you read too much on this forum, you will never appreciate why it has captured people's imagination for so many years.
    I really envy you, you are in for such a great experience.