Skip to content

HELP with importing characters

I finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (the one with Siege of Dragonspear included). Just installed Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition. And trying to import. So I created a random character and started playing, then exported him, so the characters folder appears in the game installation folder. From what I read online I have to copy either character file or final save folder. When I copy character file, the game crashes when I click on New Game. When I copy final save folder from the Siege of Dragonspear save folder (I also tried copying final save from before I started Siege of Dragonspear with the same result), when I click import from a save file I can see final save file. When I click on it, I see the name of the character I created for the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. But when I click on the name and then Done the game crashes. Please HELP!!! As in really/

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    What operation system are you using @bdennisl? Also, are you running any mods?
  • bdennislbdennisl Member Posts: 7
    Windows 10 and no. I just barely installed the game and the only thing I tried to do for the last couple of hours is to figure out how to import my character from the previous game.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Thanks @bdennisl, are you copying both files? There should be a .bio and a .chr, just wanted to confirm.
    Yes, both. I copied the CHAR1.chr and .bio (I played the game only once) and also exported my character right before the game ends (meanning the Siege of Dragonspear), but the game crashed also when I clicked New game.
    On that same note. Tried to import into The black pits 2. But the result was the same - the game crashed.
    Can anyone help me figure out what to do? Because I really wanna play this game.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what you should be able to do, is ( im assuming the files are in your "my documents" folder) and go into the BGEE directory and copy the "characters" folder from BGEE and paste that folder into the BG2EE directory, and then when you start up BG2EE go import from character file, and wham, it should be there, the only problem that I might be able to see is if your game versions are different, and if so, make sure both are up to date, and see if that works
    Actually, it does look older somehow but I thought maybe because Siege of Dragonspear in part of BGEE and considering the expansion came out like last year that's why it looks better. How do I check the game versions of both games, sarevok57?
    I got it. I found the latest version of BG2EE and I didn't even have to copy any files into folders bc the game automatically showed saved games from the previous game and import was successful. Now I'm enjoying the game.
    sarevok57ronaldo