Skip to content

What is better between the following?

Having two proficiency points in dagger and using a normal dagger compared to having one proficiency point in short swords and using a short sword +1

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Identical damage and THAC0 bonus: 4.5 average damage and +1 to hit.

The dagger has a faster speed factor and grants an extra half attack per round if the wielder has any fighter levels, but only the short sword could hit magical critters.

The maximum and minimum damage for the short sword are more extreme, so spells like Righteous Magic, Kai, and Offensive Spin would make the dagger do more damage. For the same reason, having a luck effect higher than +3 will benefit the short sword more than the dagger.
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    Well, based solely on the example you've given, I'd say that the Shortsword is the better choice. Shortswords do more damage than daggers naturally and having one that is enchanted automatically makes it better than a mundane dagger as there are plenty of enemies that are immune to regular weapons and the enchantment should close any accuracy or damage gap created by the extra dagger proficiency point.

Now if you are asking whether daggers or shortswords are better in general, that's a bit trickier to answer. I would still probably say shortswords, but there are decent enchanted weapons on both sides and having a point in daggers also gives you access to a ranged option in the form of throwing daggers, of which there are some weapons of note.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Thanks for the excellent detailed replies.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Weapon range is also important, with a dagger in melee you need to be one step closer to the target than the shortsword. It can be more hazardous or tricky depending on the situation.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    lunar said:

Weapon range is also important, with a dagger in melee you need to be one step closer to the target than the shortsword. It can be more hazardous or tricky depending on the situation.

Makes sense, thanks.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Short swords tend to have better damage, a LOT of daggers have side effects to cripple your opponent. I find daggers more fun, but its give and take.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    If you are deciding between which proficiency to take, daggers means you also get a ranged weapon.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    The throwing daggers are excellent with high strength as they receive the strength bonus to damage like slings and throwing axes do.

And as noted above there are 2 very good ones in SoA that one can also melee with if so inclined (2 attacks per round ranged or melee).

I like short swords and daggers for flavor and often take both, depending upon the build. If going this route I tend to take dagger in BG and then short sword going into BG2.