Skip to content

Scrolls of Raise Dead?

hey.

im trying to get a work mate to play baldurs gate now. he played through Pillars of eternity and now i want him to try out baldurs gate which ive played through very many times since the originals was released.

but i cant remember if there was scrolls of raise dead to buy in temples or other places? im afraid he will be tired of the game if there is no way to raise dead party members out in the wilderness at low party levels.

so where can scroll of raise dead be bought?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Nowhere. If you want them you have to cheat or something.

C:CreateItem("scrl63")
    sarevok57
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Actually one can be bought in the Candlekeep Prologue
    lolien
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    No scrolls, but the temples will cast it for you, for a fee.
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Actually one can be bought in the Candlekeep Prologue

where? the priest of oghma doesn't seem to have one

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    The only way inside BG1 is to walk to a temple and get resurrected, for pretty shiny coin , should you play on core-rules even that isn't always possible since a character could get "chunked" ..aka his portrait vanishes and all you see are some slabs of meat fly away where a corpse should be then even resurrection doesn't work anymore.

in general its more easy to keep the squishy party members in the back line on range combat so they don't eat a stray sword swing to the face.

another good way is to beef up the party with a quick careful basilisk farm run on CHARNAME solo ..so new added party members start out right at lvl 5.

But overall if a party member dies and could be resurrected its far more convenient to reload and not grab the gear...fast travel around and go through the hassle.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Some of the mods add these which is great, not alot, but just enough to wet your appetite with. A real pain in the butt deep down in a dungeon and you have to crutch your butt out again to raise someone.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    My advice to your friend would be to save very, very frequently.

BG has fights where there are all sorts of stratergies to use. And it's only by trying them a few times that you learn them.
    Later on, to give yourself a challenge you can aim for no reload or few reloads and haul NPC to a temple.

Wherever you are, you can always retry the fight that's killed NPC and try the next time to keep them all alive so I don't think the lack of resurrection scrolls should be a deal breaker.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367

BG has fights where there are all sorts of stratergies to use. And it's only by trying them a few times that you learn them.
    Later on, to give yourself a challenge you can aim for no reload or few reloads and haul NPC to a temple.

Wherever you are, you can always retry the fight that's killed NPC and try the next time to keep them all alive so I don't think the lack of resurrection scrolls should be a deal breaker.

I disagree. You don't really learn how to play the game if you just save-scum your way through everything. You just keep reloading until you interupt/save against that fear or hold person or whatever that mucked you up last time. At that point you may as well just set the game to story mode. Having to walk back to a temple is an important aspect of the game that gives you time to consider where you messed up and think about how you can avoid it in the future, and gives you an incentive to be more careful in the future.

The other thing worth mentioning would be that if enough people died and you can't carry all their stuff, you should throw it in the nearest container so it doesn't rot on the ground.
    @Bigfish

How do you get from being advised to save frequently and if needs be retrying the fight to "save-scuming?

Why assume that retrying a fight involves no thought, no agency from the player and they just sit there performing the same actions waiting for the dice to fall their way?

The OP was asking about resurrection scrolls with specific reference to the party being in an inaccesible location and suggesting that this might put the new player off.
    Retrying fights is a solution.
    There is no "proper" way to play BG, that is it's strength.

No need to use derogatory terms to talk about different approaches to how people play the game.
    ThacoBellBalrog99ronaldo
    I didn't mean to offend, I just don't find your reasoning sound. You don't learn strategy by replaying fights until you win in this game because both the game is terrible at providing feedback as to what the enemy is doing, and there are so many save or die rolls that the tide changes based on a single roll.

Constant saving is largely redundant and encourages loading a new save every time some little thing doesn't go your way. If you're going to do that, just set the game to story mode and cut out the middle man. I'm not saying you should never reload, but you shouldn't save so often that reloading has no consequences.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In fact, throw the game away the first time you get a tpk. Retrying fights is for filthy casuals.
    Bigfish
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Resurrection is quite expensive for a low-level party, especially in the case of a first-time player. Pretty sure that the large number of one-dimensional party members in BG1 was due to the game expecting you to suffer some losses and just roll with it.

I'm not replying to anyone in particular btw, just throwing that out there.
    Bigfish said:

I didn't mean to offend, I just don't find your reasoning sound. You don't learn strategy by replaying fights until you win in this game because both the game is terrible at providing feedback as to what the enemy is doing, and there are so many save or die rolls that the tide changes based on a single roll.

Constant saving is largely redundant and encourages loading a new save every time some little thing doesn't go your way. If you're going to do that, just set the game to story mode and cut out the middle man. I'm not saying you should never reload, but you shouldn't save so often that reloading has no consequences.

So let me get this straight.

18 years ago, you set out on your BG journey, saw a wolf and thought it was a good idea to try and kill it for XP, you get killed and reloading, now knowing that, has taught you nothing?
    Exactly what is it you want the game to tell you?
    There's a wolf, it attacks you, probably with it's teeth (it's a wolf), you die.
    I don't think an abridged version of War and Peace is needed at this juncture.

ThacoBell
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Bigfish said:

I disagree. You don't really learn how to play the game if you just save-scum your way through everything. You just keep reloading until you interupt/save against that fear or hold person or whatever that mucked you up last time. At that point you may as well just set the game to story mode. Having to walk back to a temple is an important aspect of the game that gives you time to consider where you messed up and think about how you can avoid it in the future, and gives you an incentive to be more careful in the future.

The other thing worth mentioning would be that if enough people died and you can't carry all their stuff, you should throw it in the nearest container so it doesn't rot on the ground.
    Oh noes Imoen died by an archer ambush on the way to the FAI for the first time. What do?
    ThacoBell
    Pokota said:

Oh noes Imoen died by an archer ambush on the way to the FAI for the first time. What do?

Go to load the game because chances are charname got pin-cushioned as well. Notice there is an auto save, load and try again, ideally don't get wrecked by RNG this time. (Also, that TOTALLY happened on my first playthrough.) Alternatively, if charname lives long enough, take the time to figure out how resurrection works.

Seriously, I didn't say never reload. Its just kind of silly to say that saving constantly is a good solution to characters dying, especially in this day and age when we've got the original autosave, rolling quicksaves, and a save at the beginning of every chapter. It can even cause problems if you're saving so much you lose your old ones and then end up in a situation you can't fix with a reload.

Exactly what is it you want the game to tell you?

Well it would be handy to be able to view the combat log after charname dies although with a wolf or an ogre it becomes pretty obvious what did you in. Tips on loading screens would go a long way if the game didn't instantly load these days. The larger issue is that if you use reloads to basically ensure you interrupt every caster, its just that much longer until you google "Wizards for Dummies in Baldur's Gate" and figure out how the game actually works.

Baldur's Gate can be a brutal game, and it's more rewarding to live with the consequences of your failures than to cry "Do over!" every time something doesn't go your way.