Skip to content

The Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts

The official FAQ ( https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq ) says:
FAQ said:

Will the infamous typo of 'The Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts' be fixed?

We asked Chris Avellone about this and decided not to alter the name, as per his request. His reasoning was that it had stood for so long that it had become part of the personality of Torment. He asks for your apologies, he knows it’s a mistake, but it’s burned in his brain.

I'm not a naive speaker, I played PT in Polish (and it was called "Przybytek Zaspokajania Żądz Intelektualnych" which Google translates as "Shrine of Satisfying Intellectual Wishes") - can anybody tell me what typo has been made in English and how it changes the meaning? I'm not fluent enough to see the mistake...

Comments

• kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I guess it should have been "sating intellectual lusts". Slating means criticising very harshly :P
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    edited March 2017
    Thank You.

As interesting fact I can say why polish translators probably didn't translate word brothel directly.

"Brothel" in polish is "burdel". But primary meaning of "burdel" is a "mess" and "fuckup" (but in not vulgar way) and "brothel" is just secondary meaning. And the only other way "Brothel" in Polish is "dom publiczny" (which translates directly as "public house") but "Dom Publiczny Zaspokajania Żądz Intelektualnych" sounds odd and unnatural.

But in The Witcher series they use very obsolete Old Polish world "zamtuz" for "brothel" and I think that "Zamtuz Zaspokojania Potrzeb Intelektualnych" would be a more accurate translation. But "Przybytek Zaspokojania Potrzeb Intelektualnych" sounds definitely more lofty and hasn't have that sexual resonance (actually it sounds more as mocking sexual needs) which I personally like.
    Post edited by Hadar on
  • yaballayaballa Member Posts: 41
    Slating is the process of laying slates on the roof.
    The typo is cool, I like it more than "sating"

https://www.google.com/search?q=slating&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW1on_2PvSAhWGQpoKHTCsA_4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=763
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    koteko said:

I guess it should have been "sating intellectual lusts". Slating means criticising very harshly :P

Korean also translating THAT way. "힐난하는 slating" :D
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    @Teflon

But If I'm correct, Korean translation was fan made, not official like in Poland? So maybe this is the reason why it's translated with a typo?
    Hadar said:

@Teflon

But If I'm correct, Korean translation was fan made, not official like in Poland? So maybe this is the reason why it's translated with a typo?

Actually, korean distributor also did localization too. First they sold english package then localize it, give away translation patch via CD and internet file. So it seems to official.

It have *some* typo but I think it is minor (not critical).
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Hadar said:

"Brothel" in polish is "burdel". But primary meaning of "burdel" is a "mess" and "fuckup" (but in not vulgar way) and "brothel" is just secondary meaning.

The Portuguese word for brothel is "bordel" but one of the slang terms for it is "zona", which literally means "zone" but is also slang for "mess". There's also "casa de tolerância" which means "tolerance house" (a bit different from public house).

I think it's interesting how we can find parallels between such different languages.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    The Thread of Sating and Slaking Intellectual Curiosity About What The Slating Typo Was
    @GenderNihilismGirdle
    Sate : archaic past of sit
    Slate : chiefly British : to criticize or censure severely
    Slake : verb
    archaic : to lessen the force of : moderate
    : satisfy, quench slake your thirst will slake your curiosity

Slake is more appropriate about intellectual lusts. So it was slaking intellectual lusts. :D
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @Teflon I'm aware, just makin' a joke about the thread. :)

@Teflon I'm aware, just makin' a joke about the thread. :)