Skip to content

What make's Planescape Torment good? ( possible spoiler warning)

so I have never ever played this game before and yet I've been playing the BG series religiously since '99 with thousands and thousands of play throughs

so I did a little research on what this game is about, and from what I've come up with is that it seems to be a very role play heavy type game, which I thought, okay, that's alright,

but then I hear some game play mechanics and I'm a little puzzled, first I hear your character cannot permanently die and the class choice seems to be a little weak from what I heard, and it seems to be a game that has more chillin' and less killin' sort of style

my question is; does this work as a play style? or is this more of a niche type game, from what I've seen, it looks to be that way, when I play RPG games, I like selection ( races/classes) and Planescape seems to be on the lower end of that

and what is it that really makes Planescape shine above the rest?

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    edited March 2017
    Role playing, that is what planescape torment is so great about.

Some say cannot choose protagonist's gender or appearance is not good but It is not.
    Actually you can experience pre-set character(i.e.the nameless one)'s journey.
    [Spoiler]Like sensory stone in the game.[/spoiler]
    Protagonist's past is not *known* to player (unless metagame, if player read walkthrough before playing game) so that makes two as one, player become the protagonist.

Oh and exotic characters, too. [Spoiler] True neutral succubus or gith, rogue modron, and a floating chatty skull, unknown NPC who claims I got dept, liar diva... [/spoiler]
    It made me feel like I am actually in sigil sightseeing now

That is the point that shines planescape torment, methinks. :*
    Post edited by Teflon on
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    for me I like the game because it's about how philosophy is a weapon in a world where perception and belief dictate reality which I've never seen before or since
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Teflon said:

Role playing, that is what planescape torment is so great about.

Some say cannot choose protagonist's gender or appearance is not good but It is not.

The inability to choose gender is a glaring problem, but the rest of the game makes up for it sufficiently that I'm willing to play it.

Choosing appearance isn't really necessary, given TNO's history.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    whats the combat like in PS? is it like the BG games? or is it different?
    Combat in the original Planescape Torment is pretty secondary to the story, plot, dialog, characters. It uses the same engine as BG, and generally has the same idea, but it's a story game first and foremost. There are diplomatic ways to handle a majority of fights, even if it might not be apparent, and dying is a weird part of the game's themes. That said, I do feel there's been improvements to the combat system in PSTEE, but I built my character around social skills.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    For me, what makes PS:T good is the idea that who you play is basically a god-like character in the D&D universe.

Games like IWD and NWN2 (original campaign) just don't do it for me.

I don't wanna go on a tangent, myself. But, you just killed a god-like being in those other games and you're expecting me to believe you're just some "guy"?

It feels like you're affecting the world around you. Plus, who can't empathize with a character that has a shit life? At some point or another, we all think our lives are utter crap.

Instead, you can be rest assured, like Max Payne, TNO has the crappiest life ever. So, you gotta feel for the character, and it reflects on the players' emotions.
    1130210 said:

For me, what makes PS:T good is the idea that who you play is basically a god-like character in the D&D universe.

The best part about that is that you're in a setting where god-like characters are fairly common, and most of the people in Sigil aren't phased by it.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

To address your question, this RP-heavy gameplay style absolutely works, because of the fantastic way the game is written. Having a defined character created for you when you start the game helps immerse you as the story progresses. I can't say much about how the limited options in creation without spoiling some things, but trust me when I say the game makes up for it. If you place any value on story in an RPG, Planescape will absolutely satisfy you. Otherwise, I think it's definitely worth trying out to experience a top-tier quality of video game that has yet to be surpassed. (Silent Hill 2 and Off come close, though).

Quoted for truth.

This is similar to what I was trying to get at in my previous post.

• former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Sheena Easton.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2017
    "Updated my journal."

It got to the point where I have it as my notification ringtone on my phone.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    The story is great and very immersive. But what makes it great for me is the NPC characters. They are among the best ever written in my humble opinion
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    The writing is top notch and has a very deep and mature feel (while still being very funny, often) which is its main sell.

Going back to the BG games after playing Torment, they seem very shallow in terms of their story - still fun, and more like "games" than PST, but much less deep.

I guess the best way I can define the difference is that the Baldur's Gate series is fantasy as escapism and adventure, while Torment, though it takes place in a very fantastical setting, is concerned with the emotional, philosophical questions that define what it means to be human. The fact that it tells this human story within such a bizarre and otherworldly framework as the Planescapeverse is even more impressive.

Incidentally, I completed PST for the first time last year and I'm still sort of fatigued from it. The story makes BG seem like a light-hearted romp in comparison. But once it gets you, it will not let go.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Playing it for the first time will probably change the way you look at video games as an artform. It will probably change you too, a little.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Kenji said:

"Updated my journal."

It got to the point where I have it as my notification ringtone on my phone.

One of my ringtones is Deionarra's theme. :blush:
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Its light on the combat but excellent story/dialogue, @sarevok57 you must play it once at least and the new EE version looks great...wish they added new content as would like some new add ons/npcs etc but understand from what they said they want to leave the main game intact with little change.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    oi, im not sure, even though I like story, Im more into the combat sort of thing when it comes to the RPGs, perhaps sometime in the future I might give it a shot just for the lulz, but until then, I think I might pass for now, planescape doesn't really sound like it's my cup of tea, but perhaps sometime this summer of winter I might give it a shot, but we'll see
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    ThacoBell said:

Its like playing a book. Make of that what you will.

When people start saying stuff like that, I start thinking I won't buy this or play it. The original version has been sitting in my GoG library, untouched for years. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book. When I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not read a book.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341

ThacoBell said:

Its like playing a book. Make of that what you will.

When people start saying stuff like that, I start thinking I won't buy this or play it. The original version has been sitting in my GoG library, untouched for years. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book. When I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not read a book.
    Heh, do you what you will. I won't make a dime either way. But I doubt very seriously you could believe that PST is some kind of Kindle with pictures. It's not reading a book. It's like being inside a book - and not just any book, but one of those books where you get to make choices.

PST is different than the other Infinity Engine RPGs. Don't get us wrong, it IS an Infinity Engine RPG. It has a similar interface, uses the AD&D rules (with some modifications), and there is combat, THACO, spells per day, 2d4+3, etc.

But PST harkens back to the old point and click style RPGS of the past, like Myst. It focuses much more on telling a story and letting you to an extent control that story. There are lots of fantastic locations, puzzles, riddles, and more. Perhaps if Myst and Baldur's Gate had a baby?

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    PST stands out from a story point of view.
    I loved BG & TOTSC (Especially Durlarg's tower, which has great back story if you read everything !)
    I loved BG2 & ToB (Loved that feeling of starting as nothing to becoming a penultimate powerful beeing and the heir to the god of murder)

But... but... gosh, PST, that story. The characters. They really stand out as unforgettable.
    It's just... different... but still, you'll feel right at home.. somehow...

That, and you can definitely play the game as a "BG-esque" game, where you'll hack your way through problems.
    Or you can play as a friggin' sadistic loyal evil cunning bastard that manipulates your way through victory.
    As a chaotic neutral fool.

You can recruit flaming wizards, magical armors, sexy girls that make Viconia sound kinda plain.
    And a skull. THAT skull. The superior entity of puns & rants. Right Chief ? Eh ? Eh ?

You can travel through planes, meet demons, angels, witches, otherworldly beings of mystical power.

And then, there is the music.
    That music.

What can change the nature of a game ? *wink* *wink*