Skip to content

Your favourite spells from Planescape Torment?

One of the reasons I love Planescape torment so much is the variety of different spells that you can cast, many of which are different/unique compared to other infinity engine games.

Some of my favourites are:

– Luck: Crazily underrated I find. Stacks with itself and can give you +8 to all damage rolls – max damage magic missiles, swarm curse etc ... Good duration too (+5 sec per level)
– Swarm Curse: Great AoE Damage for a second level spell, disrupts enemies' spellcasting
– Missile of Patience: INSANE 1st level spell. iirc it does 15+ damage a click after level 11. Using various items like the tatoo of the magi and karlaacs knife can get you to around 30 casts
– Blacksphere: Great CC and damage
– Enoll Eva's Duplication: Most powerful spell in the game. Cast on Dakkon to turn him in to a meat grinder (zerthimon's focus too) or cast on yourself and double your spell firepower.
– Meteor Storm Bombardment: So cool.

What are yours?
Teflon

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited March 2017
    Visually: Fire and Ice

Overall: Blacksphere

Missile of Patience is just ridiculous for a level 1 spell.

Oh and Mechanus Cannon...because firing a cannon into a portal is just freaking cool.

@JuliusBorisov
    Brings me actually to a question. Will Antimagic Shell, Howl of Pandemonium, Guardian Mantle, Conflagration and Elysium's Fires be obtainable in game? Or do I have to console them in at some point? BTW thanks for the console. :D
    1130210taclanekansasbarbarian
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Rune of Torment

Because I like runes that torment others.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Queegon said:

Oh and Mechanus Cannon...because firing a cannon into a portal is just freaking cool.

Now you're thinking with portals!

:grin:
    NimranPurudaya
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Queegon said:

Visually: Fire and Ice

Overall: Blacksphere

Missile of Patience is just ridiculous for a level 1 spell.

@JuliusBorisov
    Brings me actually to a question. Will Antimagic Shell, Howl of Pandemonium, Guardian Mantle, Conflagration and Elysium's Fires be obtainable in game? Or do I have to console them in at some point? BTW thanks for the console. :D

Y'know, I'd really like those options too. Why not just put them in that shop in the lower ward (is it?).

Um, my favorite spells:
    (1) Missile of Patience
    -Nothing like this in the other BG games. Using the spell more actually evolves it into a better spell!
    (2) Black-Barbed Curse
    -I just think it looks cool, and it has a simple enough effect.
    (3) Fire and Ice
    -OMG this one is cool. The effect is cool, and it's just so powerful looking. Talk about Planes-type
    magic.
    taclaneTeflon
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    They all are cool but overall Mechanus Cannon.
    taclane
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Litany of Curses - Morte

It's not exactly a spell, but it's refreshingly interactive :D
    taclaneJuliusBorisovMontresor_SPjackjack
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I find Mechanus Cannon and Meteor Storm Bombardment to be the best visually.

Enoll Eva's Duplication is insane powerful.

But you know, pound for pound, for its level, it's hard to beat Magic Missile.

Queegon said:

Find out yourselves! We won't spoil it.
    Oh my goodness. Here's hoping.

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    I don't like the spells with video like Mechanus Cannon because it looks like JGDR.

Find out yourselves! We won't spoil it.

Ok, finished as a lawful good mage, dustman->sensate->godsman

Found only a SINGLE spell that wasn't in the game before on a full playthrough with every corner scoured.
    scroll of guardian mantle

So I looked into nearinfinity and
    that's it. But apparently an eye unavailable in the original is now purchasable from a store in Clerk's Ward except it has a condition to appear which I didn't trigger. No idea what the condition is.
    Cahir
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2017
    1130210 said:

Um, my favorite spells:
    (1) Missile of Patience
    Using the spell more actually evolves it into a better spell!

I think you're actually incorrect regarding this statement. Based on playtests of the original game (unmodded), the spell itself doesn't get any better by using it, but rather by gaining mage levels (upgrades at level 8 respectively level 12).
    QueegonMontresor_SPjackjack
  • ZuTheSkunkZuTheSkunk Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2017
    Visually, my favourite ones always were the Mechanus Cannon and the Symbol of Torment.

Mechanically, however... well, I never really needed to use *any* spells to complete the game... maybe besides Identification.
    Post edited by ZuTheSkunk on
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited April 2017
    Anti-magic shell has a unique application which makes it very powerful:

The caster dispels all spells on other creatures (s)he comes into proximity with. The area of effect is shown visually by an orbiting orb.

You will have to find out who casts the spell and/or where to find it.

You will have to find out who casts the spell and/or where to find it.

Noone and nowhere. You can only console it in.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I like missile of patience, though I almost feel like it's a spoiler as realizing it actually oes something was fun. Grace's lightning is very nice too. Tbh though, haven't paid much attention to combat yet. Too much fun running around looking for people to talk to.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Friendship. I can cast it again and again.