Skip to content

AI and spellcasters

So I have been playing the BG series off and on for over 15 years. Now I want to run it through with the following rules:

1. No reload unless my PC dies or an NPC I want in my party dies permanently.
2. No pausing whatsoever
3. All NPCs on AI only, I will only control my PC

Now, my question relates to what spells are used by the various spellcaster AI sets. I've noticed that for mages, magic missile and blindness are used a lot, and for clerics, cure light wounds, slow poison and defensive harmony (I think). Most of the other spells are never used as far as I've noticed. Has anyone explored what other spells are used by the AI?

Comments

• VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    @TwinAxes The problem with AI is that it does non logical stuff like ''casting spells on low hp in front of mobs''.
    Bad positioning or no kiting ... again not going back when on low HP and millions of more things you don't wanna see.
  • TwinAxesTwinAxes Member Posts: 14
    That's supposed to be part of the challenge...if I can get this to work at all. If AI spell casting is too limited, I guess I can't.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The AI will not cast spells above level 3 from my experience. Its great for random encounters, but can actively hurt major encounters.
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    ThacoBell said:

The AI will not cast spells above level 3 from my experience. Its great for random encounters, but can actively hurt major encounters.

Neera casts Stoneskin and the spell is lvl 4.
    Create a character in SoD and see it when the game starts.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've created a whole schwack load of scripts if ya want to use some of those, I can give you some, I have scripts where spell casters will cast ANY offensive spell, and defensive spell, or even both, or even dispelling spells ( like breach and the like) I even have scripts where your casters will just go ham with summons ( although they will stop at 5 and the mage elementals/demons are exempt because of how unpredictable they are)
    Thanks guys. I'm going to try the BP series for now. If it doesn't work for me, I might try your scripts Sarevok. Cheers!
    So the BP series works pretty well for spellcasters. However, I'm having issues with weapon switching. If I set my three melee fighters to Melee Wepons - Intuitive, usually only the one in front switches to melee weapons when the enemy gets close. And Minsc, when he does switch, runs up to the enemies and then stands next to them and switches back and forth between two handed sword and longbow several times before settling for longbow, despite being in a melee position. Anyone else had these issues?
    are you using the advanced ai script?
    I was using that before I tried the BP series. The thing I like about BP is that the companions are sensitive to the nearness of enemies when it comes to switching from missile to melee. The only problem is it doesn't work so well. The BGEE Advanced AI doesn't seem to have this functionality, the characters just stick with one weapon type without switching in regard to nearness of enemies.
    by BP series do you mean blackpit series?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Actually you can set a prefered weapon and they will try to follow it and even change weapons some times when using the advanced AI. But the way BP Series did it was much better. That's one mod I'd love to see updated.
    sarevok57 said:

by BP series do you mean blackpit series?

I mean this http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1025-bp-series-party-ai-for-bg/
    mlnevese said:

Actually you can set a prefered weapon and they will try to follow it and even change weapons some times when using the advanced AI. But the way BP Series did it was much better. That's one mod I'd love to see updated.

I know, but with the Advanced AI they don't seem to switch weapons much, they stick with the preferred one.
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    I mostly just use the 'range weapons' AI for mages, and then have them cast when I need it. They won't seem to cast any spells that can potentially hurt you (Like fireball,skull trap, etc) and there's a lot they just don't ever cast, but it's hard to determine.
    the advanced AI well only cast spells that have status effects ( like charm, blinding ect... although it will still cast magic missile and fireball) up to 3rd level mage spells