Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[MOD] Short Sword of Backstabbing (PnP) v1.1

GreenerGreener Member Posts: 399
edited August 2017 in General Modding
Short Sword of Backstabbing: The Shadow's Blade +2
The Shadow's Blade was created to be the perfect assassin's tool. It is highly sought after by any who settle differences with a blade, and many that possess it do not do so for long. In the hands of any character this is a +2 magical weapon, but in the hands of a thief it is especially potent. When a thief makes a backstab attempt with this short sword, it allows him to attack as if four levels higher than his actual experience level, with corresponding improvements in THAC0, and damage multiplier on a successful hit.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
- Backstab Multiplier: +1 (Thieves)

THAC0: +4 (Thieves), +2 (others)
Damage: 1d6+2 (piercing)
Speed Factor: 0
Proficiency Type: Short Sword
Type: One-handed
Requires:
5 Strength

Weight: 3


Change log

v1.1 Correctly applied the THAC0 bonuses

Post edited by Greener on
ZaghoulAerakar

Comments

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,133
    Similar to the one added by RR. I like how that one is given to someone that uses it against you in a fight.
    Is this one planned for store purchase/ treasure pile, or given to a enemy?

    Aerakar
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 399
    Zaghoul said:

    Similar to the one added by RR. I like how that one is given to someone that uses it against you in a fight.
    Is this one planned for store purchase/ treasure pile, or given to a enemy?

    The item replaces the one currently in the game, thus in Baldur's Gate, the assassin Slythe, who can be found in the Undercellar in the last chapter will drop this weapon when he is killed.

    In Baldur's Gate II, Renal Bloodscalp will give this item as a reward for helping him with the Find Proof of Mae'Var's Treachery quest.

    ZaghoulAerakar
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,133
    @greener Sounds good, similar to the other. Always a nice touch to reap the rewards of a good duel. A good option for those not using RR. I always thought the original did not really live up to it's name.

    Aerakar
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 733
    I like your version @Greener as it is +2/+4 for thieves which is not IMO overpowered for a thief end game BG1 (and certainly not in BG2).

    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,133
  • Hm, sounds cool, but in the hands of Assassins, sounds ridiculously overpowered.

    7x was already pure madness (6x would've been enough in my view). Then again, the math might say otherwise, after all it's just a Short Sword +2.

  • MasterChefMasterChef Member Posts: 43
    This looks like a really cool mod, but it looks like it's not installing when I move the files to my data folder. Anything to be aware with the installation?

  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 399

    This looks like a really cool mod, but it looks like it's not installing when I move the files to my data folder. Anything to be aware with the installation?

    My error...try the new file linked to the first post.

    Unzip the contents, then open up the folder "Short Sword of Backstabbing (PnP)" next copy and paste the contents to your install folder and install.

  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Is the sword still obtainable for thief PC's? I'm pretty sure Renal doesn't offer the sword to a thief PC because he offers the stronghold instead.

  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 399
    Noobacca said:

    Is the sword still obtainable for thief PC's? I'm pretty sure Renal doesn't offer the sword to a thief PC because he offers the stronghold instead.

    If you don't have rogue rebalancing installed than yes Renal still gives it to you, if you do than Aran Linvail gives it to you instead...

    NoobaccaAerakar
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,583
    The Thalantyr Upgrade mod has a pretty interesting upgrade for the original short sword+3:

    "Sword of the Murderer

    This sword is an improved Short Sword of Backstabbing: ' The Shadow's Blade '. The sword causes additional damage with a backstab, and can paralyse a victim.

    STATISTICS:

    Equipped Ability:
    +1 to backstab multiplier
    10 % chance of each hit to paralyse a victim for 2 rounds (no save)

    THACO: +3 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 + 3
    Damage type: Piercing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Short sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength"

    It's quite close to yours, but I like the possibility of crippling your enemy on hit. 10% with no save for two rounds is really strong however, not so much for early BG or late BG2, but mostly midgame, when you have as much APR as you can get, enemies that are rarely immune to status effects.

    Aerakar
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 399
    edited April 2017
    Arunsun said:

    The Thalantyr Upgrade mod has a pretty interesting upgrade for the original short sword+3:

    "Sword of the Murderer

    This sword is an improved Short Sword of Backstabbing: ' The Shadow's Blade '. The sword causes additional damage with a backstab, and can paralyse a victim.

    STATISTICS:

    Equipped Ability:
    +1 to backstab multiplier
    10 % chance of each hit to paralyse a victim for 2 rounds (no save)

    THACO: +3 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 + 3
    Damage type: Piercing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Short sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength"

    It's quite close to yours, but I like the possibility of crippling your enemy on hit. 10% with no save for two rounds is really strong however, not so much for early BG or late BG2, but mostly midgame, when you have as much APR as you can get, enemies that are rarely immune to status effects.

    Thank you for sharing it is certainly interesting. My goal with this simple mod was to bring an item that appears in both games closer to its PnP self.

  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,583
    Greener said:

    Arunsun said:

    The Thalantyr Upgrade mod has a pretty interesting upgrade for the original short sword+3:

    "Sword of the Murderer

    This sword is an improved Short Sword of Backstabbing: ' The Shadow's Blade '. The sword causes additional damage with a backstab, and can paralyse a victim.

    STATISTICS:

    Equipped Ability:
    +1 to backstab multiplier
    10 % chance of each hit to paralyse a victim for 2 rounds (no save)

    THACO: +3 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 + 3
    Damage type: Piercing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Short sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength"

    It's quite close to yours, but I like the possibility of crippling your enemy on hit. 10% with no save for two rounds is really strong however, not so much for early BG or late BG2, but mostly midgame, when you have as much APR as you can get, enemies that are rarely immune to status effects.

    Thank you for sharing it is certainly interesting. My goal with this simple mod was to bring an item that appears in both games closer to its PnP self.
    Well actually this could be made to appear in the other games, though it would take some extra modding, but one may as well make it true by adding it to Cromwell's recipes for example.

    Aerakar
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 2,770

    Hm, sounds cool, but in the hands of Assassins, sounds ridiculously overpowered.

    7x was already pure madness (6x would've been enough in my view). Then again, the math might say otherwise, after all it's just a Short Sword +2.

    Well, the size of the backstab multiplier isn't everything. A Staff of the Ram backstab dealing septuple damage will hurt a lot more than a +2 Short Sword backstab dealing octuple damage.

    Aerakar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,716
    An Assassin only gets a x7 backstab at level 21.

    Not an issue.

    @Greener Good work, if I may add a suggestion, make an upgrade for it to scale all the way to ToB.

    Aerakar
Sign In or Register to comment.