Skip to content

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Livestream with Chris Avellone Annoucement

2»

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    They actually said that the spell effects were JRPG inspired.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Yes they did. But why? It corrupts a pure western RPG.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    In all my decades of gaming, I never came across a single pure western RPG. Same with a pure eastern RPG, pure northern RPG and pure southern RPG. Something tells me there is more to it than the country of origin.
    rede9
    edited April 2017
    Forgive me if I'm strict. But I don't like random encounters in the Undersigil to get stuff randomly and to be forced to watch clips of the magics again and again.
    I liked the mod that add storylines to let you get the most powerful weapon without cheat (even thought I've never played as a fighter because it's a waste in a game such as PST).
    I call pure western RPG a game that needn't luck (I mean real luck, not stat) to discover every feature. Hack and slash are an exception of course. Random treasures in IWD are at limit.
    Post edited by rede9 on
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    rede9 said:

Forgive me if I'm strict. But I don't like random encounters in the Undersigil to get stuff randomly and to be forced to watch clips of the magics again and again.
    I liked the mod that add storylines to let you get the most powerful weapon without cheat (even thought I've never played as a fighter because it's a waste in a game such as PST).

I'm firing off the console at that moment.
    I remember very vividly the tiring grind of just saving in Sigil, going down the stairs, saving in a new slot, hiding in shadows and searching the Undersigil with Annah for Glabrezus.
    If Glabrezu spawned, load last save, hack and slash through hosts of trelons and worms, kill Glab, loot. Nothing? Rinse and repeat until something finally drops.
    rede9
    edited April 2017
    Queegon said:

Nothing? Rinse and repeat until something finally drops.

And it drops the same item twice suitable to only one character (gauntlet of Grace; dagger of Annah)... crap.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    rede9 said:

Yes they did. But why? It corrupts a pure western RPG.

Okay, aside from the fact that I completely reject your complaint here, your previous post seemed to imply you were annoyed that they didn't acknowledge JRPG influence, which they did.

Also, random loot is pretty Western RPG, esp. in the D&D mold.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2017
    Recently, the GOG's official Twitch channel made another livestream with Chris Avellone.

It was a nearly two hour long interview with some live gameplay of Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition in the background. Watch here.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    lolienHurricaneproccoelminster
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    I checked up on Beamdog's twitch channel, but the video is not there (don't know if it ever was, though). Is the stream online somewhere as a VOD so that I could go watch it now?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @Ghamarro It's on YouTube:
    JuliusBorisovlolienProont
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    @procco Awsome! Thanks a bunch! Weird that I didn't get a notification about it on YouTube even though I'm subbed to Beamdog's channel there.
    lolien
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2020
    rede9 wrote: »
    I call pure western RPG a game that needn't luck (I mean real luck, not stat) to discover every feature. Hack and slash are an exception of course. Random treasures in IWD are at limit.

I didn't like that either, but the game did not remotely force you to do so. There weren't any difficult combat checks that required you to grind to beat them - so I don't see this as an issue at all. It's something you can do if you want to play some more.

EDIT: but late, haha, but since it got pulled up again anyway.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Here is the stream: