Skip to content

Why does Kivan have Two-Weapon Style proficiency?

After recruiting Kivan I noticed that he has two pips in Two-Weapon Style proficiency even though he has two pips in halberd and bow only. This makes no sense as he isn't proficient in any one-handed weapons. This looks like a mistake.

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Kivan is a Ranger, they are hardcoded to receive 2 free pips in Two-Weapon Style.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited April 2017
    All the rangers come with two pips in two-weapon style. That's a feature of the class. Minsc too has those pips if you recruit him.

@kjeron : Ninja'd. :)
  • KahenrazKahenraz Member Posts: 70
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    Kahenraz said:

After recruiting Kivan I noticed that he has two pips in Two-Weapon Style proficiency even though he has two pips in halberd and bow only. This makes no sense as he isn't proficient in any one-handed weapons. This looks like a mistake.

Minsc has 2 points in Two-Handed Sword as well and he is a ranger(all rangers start with (**) in Two-Weapon Style.

About the 2 points in Halberd ? Well the same reason why Keldorn has 9 Dex - the creators didn't want to make uber characters.

Even Sarevok in ToB is not perfect.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Vithar said:

About the 2 points in Halberd ? Well the same reason why Keldorn has 9 Dex - the creators didn't want to make uber characters.

Whoa, really?

I've never used Keldorn in my party before, so I never realized his Dex was so low. Not the end of the world, I suppose, but still kinda crappy.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    In the original BG, several things were quite different. There were no kits, rangers didn't get the two weapon style proficiencies (were any weapon style proficiencies even available? I can't recall), and the proficiencies were different: Large Sword, Small Sword, Bows, etc. Kiva had proficiency in ... whatever category contained spear and halberd. Why he was given halberd instead of spear is a puzzle to me, he seems like more of spear guy to me.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Vithar said:

Minsc has 2 points in Two-Handed Sword as well and he is a ranger(all rangers start with (**) in Two-Weapon Style.

Minsc also has a point in Maces. In fact, I love running him dual-wielding maces, particularly the Stupifier.
  • Toot83Toot83 Member Posts: 20
    tbone1 said:

In the original BG, several things were quite different. There were no kits, rangers didn't get the two weapon style proficiencies (were any weapon style proficiencies even available? I can't recall), and the proficiencies were different: Large Sword, Small Sword, Bows, etc. Kiva had proficiency in ... whatever category contained spear and halberd. Why he was given halberd instead of spear is a puzzle to me, he seems like more of spear guy to me.

There were no weapon styles in original BG1. Kivan's profiency was in "spears", and he had spear when CHARNAME first met him. I think they just gave him profiency in the most powerful weapon in the group, when they had to make the choice.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Using BGNPC project, as he gets that nice spear that he broke(and gets back fixed) using to fight some critters, seems like it should have been changed to prof. in spears at the same time.
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    Papa_Lou said:

Vithar said:

Whoa, really?

I've never used Keldorn in my party before, so I never realized his Dex was so low. Not the end of the world, I suppose, but still kinda crappy.
    People give him ''Dex'' Gloves for the 18 stats ... but every time i look at them i imagine ''it could be another pair of gloves'' for Damage :D.

Vithar said:

Minsc also has a point in Maces. In fact, I love running him dual-wielding maces, particularly the Stupifier.
    Yeah , that's his strength.But still the 2 points in 2h Sword are the same as the 2 points of Halberd on Kivan - wasted T_T .
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Minsc with a two-handed sword is totally badass (and pretty canon if you consider the original BG as the golden source) :)
  • KahenrazKahenraz Member Posts: 70
    I have to side with @AndreaColombo on this one. Misc is simply not Minsc without a two-handed sword. :)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

Minsc with a two-handed sword is totally badass (and pretty canon if you consider the original BG as the golden source) :)

And the fact that he's hanging out in Neverwinter in Neverwinter with a great big two-handed sword.