Skip to content

Some Stray Observations - Adoy's Enclave (Spoilers)

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
So I've been away from BG:EE for awhile, and honestly I never took the time before now to do Neera's quest. I think its pretty neat, the dialogue is funny, and the summoning of the goblins is a cool twist. I did however notice some behavior that I think could be tweaked... some bugs, and some content. Just a gamer's opinion on this stuff.

1) Love the music in this area!

2) In the latest build, if you engage the goblins at the entry-way, they often attack each other. Many in the main camp were dead by the time I got there. Not sure what is causing this. I would file a bug report but don't have the time or inclination really to do it the proper way. At least I'm honest :smile:

3) I think it would make more sense if the Goblins would use Shortbows, rather than Composite Longbows. By book, Goblins can't even use these weapons. They're also very expensive, so their camp being outfitted with them doesn't make a whole lot of sense... and even the ranger (Magreb) in the area doesn't have one (he just has a basic longbow). No wonder his companion was slaughtered! Lol.

4) The arrow count on the goblins could also easily be lowered. Why does every goblin have 4 stacks of 20 arrows? Firing 20 and then rushing to melee attack might make more sense. Perhaps put an axe/bow on each one? Like a goblin's armament in IWD?

5) The moose is awesome! I want more moose in Baldur's Gate! LOL.

6) No Edwin-specific banter if he engages Ekandor? A shame. I know there is one in Beregost, if you have somehow got Edwin before Neera, so maybe the developers figured a second wasn't necessary? I can easily see the two of them as rivals, and Red Wizards have killed each other if they get in one another's way, so I have no problem with that.

7) Magreb has no Reputation penalty, or EXP given for his senseless murder at the PC's hands. I know other characters don't necessarily give penalties or EXP, but most give one or the other. Just a thought.

8) The Thayan body guards *gulp* in combat (quaff potions) but I don't believe any potions are lootable if you kill them prior to this action? If they are then I am just too slow because I have tried quite a few times to kill them before this occurs and no dice. I could be wrong on this and would be happy to be corrected.

Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    first, I think those goblins where copy pasted from the original bg2 goblins ( which did indeed use composite long bows and had 4 packs of 20 arrows)

next, the potion thing, no doubt the potions that those warriors use are undroppable ( probably because they might be using potions like potions of extra healing which technically don't exist in bg1) so that is no doubt intentional
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Good stuff, the ones in BG2 should be fixed too :smile: IWD got it right imo.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Good stuff, the ones in BG2 should be fixed too :smile: IWD got it right imo.

the ones in bg2ee do now use short bows instead of composite long bows, but they still have 4 packs of 20 arrows though

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @HaHaCharade Yes, details make the difference. Good points for all of these.

No Edwin response would seem to be an oversight given his other RWizard interaction.

With avg goblin str(old DMG) being 10, yep, no long composite bows.

Magreb sounds like another oversight, as bout every other person AND their brother gives rep penalty.

I have seen the goblins scrap it out sometimes as well. I just put it up to well, goblins being goblins. I like the good banter some goblins have in SoD have where one describes stabbing the other in the back JUST because his back was turned, hehheh.

I often let the bear out(playing druids n such ;) ) and he goes after the gobs sometimes. Makes sense to me, glad he does (cagin poor ol bears :'( ).

I have wondered at the Thayan bodyguards , as whatever they do it seems to make them resist fear, charm , and confusion. I thought maybe they were barbarians or zerkers activating rage. Never noticed the GULP, so maybe they gulp invuln, or clarity potions?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @HaHaCharade Just tested this again to be sure. The Thayan bodyguards most definitely activate 'Barbarian Rage' and transform into the dadgum wonder twins, so they receive quite a few bonuses and resistances.
    I don't THINK I saw anyone gulp any potions in addition to this.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Zaghoul said:

@HaHaCharade Just tested this again to be sure. The Thayan bodyguards most definitely activate 'Barbarian Rage' and transform into the dadgum wonder twins, so they receive quite a few bonuses and resistances.
    I don't THINK I saw anyone gulp any potions in addition to this.

There's definite gulping going down! Someone's a gulper! Lol :smiley: