Skip to content

item revision worth it ?

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
I never played a whole game with it, it seems to nerf every good item in the game. Is it worth it ? Did you use it ?

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    It nerfs those which strike out as OP, but not all is bad - it will also buff less used items so they become more viable. Look at it this way - it provides more options about building your characters.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I'm in the process of using it, and I've definitely seen more viable choices in terms of weapons, and certain miscellaneous items become wonderful. The greenstone amulet (as most amulets) is passive rather than on-use, for example, and there's weak regeneration items even in BG1. Armor becomes rather flavorful as well: the Umar Hills quest reward is a leather armor that grants Barkskin permanently, and the Doomplate from Spellhold dooms both the user and enemies around them.
    The three changes that made life significantly harder for me, though:
    1) Headgear no longer gives critical hit immunity, if you install that component. There are other ways to become immune to critical hits, just not as easily achievable at level 1. Arrows in BG1 can and will crit you to death if you're not careful.
    2) Negative Plane protection. The Amulet of Power now grants +2 caster level as well as a couple minor benefits, but NPP is NOT one of them. The Mace of Disruption also no longer exists or was moved somewhere; I haven't found it yet. The first NPP permanent item I managed to acquire was Shadow Dragon Armor, farrrrr after my first fight with the Vampires.
    3) Much more minor, but Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing no longer exist, hurting a lot of the NPC mages looking to memorize efficiently. I think there are a few +INT items out there, but none I've come across in SoA so far.
    In the end, I'd recommend it to players that know the ins and outs of vanilla BG and their items, if only for a change of pace that's not hair-ripping-inducing like Item Randomizer can be.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Even if you don't consider IR to be a core part of your mod list, it's still worth it to install it from time to time if only to force you to leave your comfort zone. You'd be surprised how you can change you play style and your party composition when the items you usually consider to be the best are nerfed and put somewhere else.

Same reasoning with Spell Revisions, btw.
    Neverused said:

2) Negative Plane protection. The Amulet of Power now grants +2 caster level as well as a couple minor benefits, but NPP is NOT one of them. The Mace of Disruption also no longer exists or was moved somewhere; I haven't found it yet. The first NPP permanent item I managed to acquire was Shadow Dragon Armor, farrrrr after my first fight with the Vampires.

Well,
    try looking in obvious places. Who is the bane of undead in this game, or DnD in general? That's where you'll find all you want...

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    It's a wonderful piece of work, I hope that it will also cover SoD soon. My only criticisms of it are a) the deviations from p&p have sometimes had unpleasant effects for my no-reload decisions... and b) the increased options sometimes mean that my characters carry multiple weapons making me feel like a golf player: "Ah, a werewolf, I'll use my #8 sword for this!"
    Mantis37 said:

It's a wonderful piece of work, I hope that it will also cover SoD soon.

Btw, if you have any ideas about how to tweak stuff from SoD, please post them. SoD items do seem to draw a lot if inspiration from IR anyhow, but any ideas about tweaking them are welcome. I'll definitely add SoD new armors to armor changes list, but haven't really given that much tought to other items (apart this post here).
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @aasim: temples for that mace?

Item revision is good but has a few weird issue related to items, like blackrazor.
    Arthas said:

@aasim: temples for that mace?

Yes, and few other items. Temple shops are awesome.