Skip to content

What mods would people want for this game?

AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
edited April 2017 in PST:EE Mods
Modding PST has always been quite the hassle, but now that it's using the Enhanced Engine, there are a lot more options for potential mods (thanks to the extensive updates to the Enhanced Engine).

I already have ideas for a 5th Edition conversion mod, and a magic expansion mod, but I'm always curious what others are interested in.
JuliusBorisovKamigoroshi

Comments

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I submitted tickets for each of these requests for the developers, but if those pleas fall upon deaf ears:

I'd love to have an option to *always* highlight interactive objects and npcs, just like permanently holding down the Tab key would work. No, the cheat key CTRL+4 doesn't come close, as that only shows scripted objects and doesn't highlight interactive objects, such as containers, and npcs at all. This request would be for all EE games.

Another would be for the Quickloot, Combat Log, and Walkable Area options to all remain checked if selected, whether loading or quitting to desktop.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    From those that existed before: Max HP for NPCs when you enlist them. The save Nordom tweak or similar. And most importantly banter accelerator.

Other than those the possibilities are endless. Like reading Grace's diary. :)
    JidokwonDark_Ansem
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2017
    Something tells me that modding PST:EE's magic will be quite a nightmare. In any case, @AlexT and @Galactygon recently made fascinating posts about the spells:

A couple of things worth mentioning when it comes to spells. As AlexT mentioned in the interview spells were the most difficult to port over and lot of the functionality has been hardcoded.

- The cutsceneized projectiles are all hardcoded and cannot be changed except for modifying the .bam files.
    - Many of the spells use hardcoded projectiles just like the original PS:T. You might be wondering why some spells such as "Strength" or "Power of One" do not have any non-graphical effects in their extended headers. That's because the projectile calculates durations and stat changes just like the original game. Many other projectiles calculate level-based duration (i.e. Tasha's Unbearable Derisive Laughter) where it appears information is missing in the extended header compared to BG(2)(EE). The code has been simply ported over from the original PS:T.
    - While timing mode duration uses seconds (just like the other IE games), the timing mode delay and delayed-duration uses ticks which allow you to fine-tune when graphics/sound effects play.
    - PS:T has its own series of "play 3d effect" opcodes that permit a lot of variation that do not look for .vvcs, just like the original PS:T (i.e. tint .bam, fade out speed, etc.). Vvcs are not used at all in PS:T:EE.

AlexT said:

Take a look at yesterday's twitch stream around the 24:20 mark.

In the stream Mark Ramsden (the PST:EE QA Lead) and Scott Brooks (the Lead Programmer) talk about the Planescape Torment spells in a bit more detail. For example, Mark points out how the travel arc of the Chromatic Orb spell is based on TNOs strength score. There are many more instances of spell behavior similar to that, which are completely unique to PST.

But as to what I'd be interested in?
    - If we're talking about GUI modding, I'd like to see the return of the right-click radial mouse menu.
    - It would also be interesting to have unique custom NPC's. For instance: an Fighter/Priest Bariaur.
    - Sets of wearable robes (colourated Dustmen disguise, anyone?) for both thievery and wizardry TNO's would also be a real godsend.
    - Although a mod which permanently transforms TNO into the zombie disguise (possibly Lich-y, Necromancer-ish content) may breathe fresh air into the gameplay as well.
    DJKajurumlnevese
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    *raises hand again* I'd also like a mod or option to have buffs that give random results, such as Friends and Strength, always give the highest number.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'll be ambitious and request a total conversion: a BG-like game that happens in the planescape setting, with the same scenarios but independent from the original game.
  • JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
    I second the Save Nordom Tweak and Banter Accelerator,
    Forgot the Scale of souls tweak. I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to see my alignment numerical meter.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    More opportunities to join different factions, with benefits + intrigues. One challenge is that the writing for the original game is so strong that integrating new content requires some good quality control.
    AquadrizztGrammarsalad
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Enemy rebalance, to make at least the compulsory fights (and the final battle) more challenging.

Companion Trias?
    rede9
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Dear @Aquadrizzt .. the peace of mind that comes from knowing that Tome and Blood's kinks have been worked out before you go planehopping? Vhailor and Dakkon would approve. :wink::wink:

As ever, thank you for your hard work bringing mods to these games and joy to their players. :smile:
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    I would agree that an AI/difficulty enhancements mod for PST:EE would be very popular.
    QueegonPeccaJuliusBorisovSssiksseilor
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    This one might present some challenges (both in terms of writing and in terms of technical challenges), but I'd say a mod that would allow TNO to become a priest.
    JuliusBorisovQueegonKamigoroshi
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    elminster said:

This one might present some challenges (both in terms of writing and in terms of technical challenges), but I'd say a mod that would allow TNO to become a priest.

That would indeed be a challenge. From what I can see it's not possible without sacrificing another class (or maybe by using ugly hacks) because the class changes make use of triple-class functionality which is already occupied by fighter, mage and thief.
  • YoshYosh Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2017
    I'm a bit of a 'style-over-substance-sucker' and one of my favorite mods for the EE-Games was the 'Portraits-Portraits-Everywhere'-one:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61015/mod-portraits-portraits-everywhere-for-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee-iwdee-eet

Now, I don't know if we can include portraits for NPCs in dialogue like in the other EEs, but if we could have something like that for PS:TEE that would be amazing and add a lot of atmosphere to an already fantastic game.

There was actually an older mod for the original PS:T in a similar vein:

http://tchosgames.blogspot.de/2011/04/planescape-torment-portrait-mod.html

but sadly it was never finished. The 90s 3D-Art for the npc-portraits and the beastiary/journal have - at least in my opinion - not aged that well and I would love to see them replaced with some really great looking art (at least for the main NPCs).
    I know there is some fantastic planescape-art to be found out there. I mean just look at this Dak'kon for example:

http://grimuar.pl/sites/default/files/161xm_0_0.jpg

So, yeah it would probably be a lot of work to find good art for all the portraits in the game and maybe even harder to get permission by the artists, but I think a mod like that would really put the 'enhanced-feeling' in the enhanced edition.

Thanks for reading and have a great day. :)

P.S.: I also second the notion of an AI- or Difficulty-Mod, that would be cool...
    smeagolheart
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2017
    + an easy mode for the mordrom maze
    + a revamped Grimoire of Pestilential Thought
    + Someone should revamp the meeting with the god in the smoldering bar corpse
    + Unifinished bussiness mod
    + a few quests to make some places better (like Curst); Undersigil is fixed by UB for those that play a good character
    + true (Evil\practical) routes for an incarnation that behaves like the pratical incarnation

~
    Arthasineth
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Obviously some of the things I think would be most interesting are expanding the number of factions encountered in the game and maybe adding a cool Planescape race NPC (the Bariaur Fighter/Priest sounds like it could work.)
    Ravenslight
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Yosh said:

I'm a bit of a 'style-over-substance-sucker' and one of my favorite mods for the EE-Games was the 'Portraits-Portraits-Everywhere'-one:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61015/mod-portraits-portraits-everywhere-for-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee-iwdee-eet

Now, I don't know if we can include portraits for NPCs in dialogue like in the other EEs, but if we could have something like that for PS:TEE that would be amazing and add a lot of atmosphere to an already fantastic game.

There was actually an older mod for the original PS:T in a similar vein:

http://tchosgames.blogspot.de/2011/04/planescape-torment-portrait-mod.html

but sadly it was never finished. The 90s 3D-Art for the npc-portraits and the beastiary/journal have - at least in my opinion - not aged that well and I would love to see them replaced with some really great looking art (at least for the main NPCs).
    I know there is some fantastic planescape-art to be found out there. I mean just look at this Dak'kon for example:

http://grimuar.pl/sites/default/files/161xm_0_0.jpg

So, yeah it would probably be a lot of work to find good art for all the portraits in the game and maybe even harder to get permission by the artists, but I think a mod like that would really put the 'enhanced-feeling' in the enhanced edition.

Thanks for reading and have a great day. :)

P.S.: I also second the notion of an AI- or Difficulty-Mod, that would be cool...

As an author of PPE, I've looked into getting it to work with PSTEE.

I haven't really played but I noticed the UI does not by default display an area for displaying portraits during conversations.

I was able to get in the portrait so that it can display like this (this is a slightly higer rez portrait for Morte):

If someone who is good with the UI wants to contact me about how to code in something that looks like this it would be better:
    RavenslightDJ_Raptor
    edited April 2017
    argent77 said:

elminster said:

That would indeed be a challenge. From what I can see it's not possible without sacrificing another class (or maybe by using ugly hacks) because the class changes make use of triple-class functionality which is already occupied by fighter, mage and thief.
    I did actually do some testing for it (including switching between the four different classes). Its not going to fully work obviously with dual classing but I was able to gain access to spells (only on level up though). I have not however tried doing a full runthrough of the the game with it (so this is still very preliminary).

Personally if I were going to do it I would have it in someway relate to Mourns For Trees. So you'd really be more of a druid than a cleric (visually your class is called a "Priest" anyways). Basically tie it more into that line of belief rather than the belief in a particular god.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Kamigoroshi
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    There are a couple ways you could rig the Priest as a fourth class, but it might be a bit... hacky?
    elminster
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Bows and arrows (and slings and stones).

So I'm a heretic, I know.
    edited April 2017

There are a couple ways you could rig the Priest as a fourth class, but it might be a bit... hacky?

Basically ya.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Hi!

Haven't been on these forums for a long time (not since playing BG1/2 a while back) and am a long time fan of PST like many others. So nice my favourite game ever got an enhanced edition. Beamdog you made my day, and prior to my misgivings thanks so much for keeping it true to the original.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, apologies as I imagine it has but I couldn't find it after a few web searches. Any news of making the rest of Qwin's UB pack able to run with the EE (or am I being dense and it runs anyway? Haven't tried as easter's been something awful where I work). Have started a game but its not the same with all the addition content at the Buried Village.

Thanks! And again sorry if this post is redundant as it will work anyway or if its been anwered before.

~Lesse~
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Banter accelerator, Save Nordom, the rest of Qwin's mods being implemented and a working Tweaks mod, so that jewelry can be stacked.
    So in short: all the old "standard" mods.
    GawainBS said:

Banter accelerator, Save Nordom, the rest of Qwin's mods being implemented and a working Tweaks mod, so that jewelry can be stacked.

With console and NearInfinity you don't need save nordom nor banter accelerator.
    With info provided by argent77 I got to reduce the time between banters by modifying one line in a file with NI and with console you can drop off Nordom wherever you want to by teleporting to a Sigil area and back to Curst Prison for Vhailor.
    For jewelry I suggest either BG Tweak mod which works for stacking and/or Bags of Torment mod here.
    batoor
  • YoshYosh Member Posts: 16
    @smeagolheart
    Since I never commented on the mods page itself, let me just thank you here real quick: Thank you (!) for creating such an amazing mod. I already played through IWDEE with it installed and in combination with Kulyok's NPC-Mod that was just a completely fresh und pristine experience. Trying it out (and enjoying it) on BG2 at the moment, even though I don't have that much time for gaming these days.

Anyway... in terms of Planescape: thank you also for already working on a new mod for the PS:T EE. The concept you posted (in the 2nd screen) looks really good and I am really looking forward to what you can cook up - as are probably a lot of other players out there.

Have a nice evening :)
    smeagolheart
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited April 2017
    Queegon said:

GawainBS said:

With console and NearInfinity you don't need save nordom nor banter accelerator.
    With info provided by argent77 I got to reduce the time between banters by modifying one line in a file with NI and with console you can drop off Nordom wherever you want to by teleporting to a Sigil area and back to Curst Prison for Vhailor.
    For jewelry I suggest either BG Tweak mod which works for stacking and/or Bags of Torment mod here.
    The default frequency says 600 in the BANTTIMG.2DA, but what does that mean actually in minutes/hours? This is a very green question, but I haven't tried to fiddle around with this before. Just so I understand what it is I'm actually editing here^^
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    batoor said:

The default frequency says 600 in the BANTTIMG.2DA, but what does that mean actually in minutes/hours? This is a very green question, but I haven't tried to fiddle around with this before. Just so I understand what it is I'm actually editing here^^

Good question. I found an explanation made by @Tresset some time ago: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/624354/#Comment_624354

I don't think anything has changed in PST:EE in this regard.
    Tressetbatoor
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited April 2017
    So something like setting the probability to 40 and frequency to 420 should work fine for PST:EE as well then? Anyway thanks to everyone involved:)
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Queegon said:

GawainBS said:

All nice and dandy, but at least a sticky with a simple explanation on how to do that would be nice, and admittedly, just an update of the old mods would provide the most ease-of-use. Not every one is as savvy with the game-engine. I got good hopes we'll see an update soon. :smile: