Skip to content

Theme parties: which sounds coolest?

I've been contemplating picking up IWD:EE. I never played it much back in the day. If I do, there are several theme parties that come to mind, assuming IWD:EE has the same kits as BG:EE. Do any of these sound interesting? Maybe you have some of your own?

#1 - Because, +&@# magic!
Wizard slayer, berserker, undead killer, swashbuckler. Tactics: buy/steal lots of potions, point and click to victory and profit!

#2 - Married, with children
Beastlord ranger. Totemic druid. Two characters only. Tactics: summon the 'kids' to do most of the killing.

#3 - I <3 TREE
One of each druid kit. One of each ranger kit. Tactics: use summons to trip traps. Support the archer.

#4 - Inhuman trio
Avenger, Shapeshifter, and Dragon disciple. Tactics: turn into monsters. Eat people.

#5 - Synchronized Stabbing (aka, SNEAK ATTACK! bonus points if you get the reference)
Assasin, bounty hunter, shadow dancer, mage/thief, fighter/thief, cleric/thief. Tactics: C/T buffs. M/T invises, each takes position behind an enemy. Watch everyone explode. Variation: 'Et tu, Brute?' Same party. Same tactic. Everyone targets same enemy.

#6 - Bare Necessities
Monk. Shapeshifter. Kensai. Tactics: Run around naked. McGruber the enemy.

Not sure how viable any of these are, but they could be entertaining. What say you?

KenjilolienNightingaleAerakarGLoBaL

Comments

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2017
    I love all these! Not sure how effective any of them will be.

Consider installing the Faiths and Powers mod for significantly more class and kit options, you'll have a great time with that if you can dream up so many themes from the vanilla game alone!
    ElysianEchoeslolien
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Turnip Farming Incorporated:
    All Gnomes. Because Gnomes rule all.
    ElysianEchoessarevok57lolienAerakar
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I posted an undead party a couple of years ago, and I have updated the roster since then:

Lich Sorceress, Necromancer
    Revenant Knight, Fallen Paladin
    Wight Squire, Fighter
    Skeleton Priest, Fighter dual Cleric
    Ghoul Rogue, Fighter/Thief
    Zombie Archer, Fallen Archer
    Why not choose the actual sorcerer kit for the lich and Blackguard for the revenant? Well, it adds a flavor to RP and there's nothing more satisfying than playing through a game with inferior party setup. The gimped classes of Fallen Paladin/Archer compliments the theme of the party even further.

I tried to squeeze in Banshee Songstress, a bard, but I just couldn't find adequate portraits that fit the theme.
    ElysianEchoes[Deleted User]Arctoduslolien
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2017
    Onto the topic at hand, the parties you have in mind are adequate enough to clear the whole game.

Except that the sneak attack party might have a hard time dealing with undead opponents, and those take up quite a portion of the game. But then that can always be remedied with a barrage of bolts and arrows.

ElysianEchoessarevok57Arctoduslolien
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Kenji said:

I posted an undead party a couple of years ago, and I have updated the roster since then:

Lich Sorceress, Necromancer

Revenant Knight, Fallen Paladin
    Wight Squire, Fighter
    Skeleton Priest, Fighter dual Cleric
    Ghoul Rogue, Fighter/Thief
    Zombie Archer, Fallen Archer
    Why not choose the actual sorcerer kit for the lich and Blackguard for the revenant? Well, it adds a flavor to RP and there's nothing more satisfying than playing through a game with inferior party setup. The gimped classes of Fallen Paladin/Archer compliments the theme of the party even further.

I tried to squeeze in Banshee Songstress, a bard, but I just couldn't find adequate portraits that fit the theme.
    This party makes me think of an anime called "Overlord". It's really cool! I wonder if there is a mod to give your characters undead traits?

@Kenji, that picture made me laugh xD Thanks for that.

lolien
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I've been contemplating picking up IWD:EE. I never played it much back in the day. If I do, there are several theme parties that come to mind, assuming IWD:EE has the same kits as BG:EE. Do any of these sound interesting? Maybe you have some of your own?

Wizard slayer, berserker, undead killer, swashbuckler. Tactics: buy/steal lots of potions, point and click to victory and profit!

Beastlord ranger. Totemic druid. Two characters only. Tactics: summon the 'kids' to do most of the killing.

#3 - I

#4 sounds the most entertaining to me. Might have to do HOF for the early chapters to get a jump on the shapeshifting abilities though...

For #3 keep in mind that summons don't set off traps.

I have a theme I've been thinking about. Lawful buttkickers of goodness...

One of each Paladin type (except Blackguard of course), one Priest of Helm and one Sun-Soul monk. I think I'm going to go roll one of these parties up right now!
    ElysianEchoes
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I dig 1 and 6 enough to try them myself.
    ElysianEchoes
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Elendar said:

on my last bg/bg2/tob play through I had a team of all gnomes, and to be honest, they kicked some serious butt even without ADHW

ElysianEchoesElendar[Deleted User]Aerakar
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    Although, perhaps not very original, i've yet to try a full dwarf, or elf warband party. I definitely want to make that happen next patch.
    ElysianEchoesBalrog99
    Balrog99 said:

#3 - I

#4 sounds the most entertaining to me. Might have to do HOF for the early chapters to get a jump on the shapeshifting abilities though...

One of each Paladin type (except Blackguard of course), one Priest of Helm and one Sun-Soul monk. I think I'm going to go roll one of these parties up right now!
    Let us know how it works out! Now, you just need to think up a clever name for your group.

sarevok57 said:

Elendar said:

on my last bg/bg2/tob play through I had a team of all gnomes, and to be honest, they kicked some serious butt even without ADHW

I'm not sure what ADHW is, but I can imagine a group of illusionists running around and creating mischief.

Although, perhaps not very original, i've yet to try a full dwarf, or elf warband party. I definitely want to make that happen next patch.

I've contemplated the dwarf party, as well. Four defenders, one fighter thief, and one fighter cleric. Maybe we could name it Stainless?
    karl_maulderlolien

Balrog99 said:

#3 - I

Let us know how it works out! Now, you just need to think up a clever name for your group.

sarevok57 said:

Elendar said:

I'm not sure what ADHW is, but I can imagine a group of illusionists running around and creating mischief.

I've contemplated the dwarf party, as well. Four defenders, one fighter thief, and one fighter cleric. Maybe we could name it Stainless?
    I'd trade one or two of the Defenders for Berserkers (Battleragers). That way you get to effectively use weapons other than hammers and axes. Besides, their rages might be lifesavers in certain situations.
    ElysianEchoes
    edited April 2017
    Good point, @Balrog99! I forgot about that about the DD kit. Also, maybe 'Stainless' is better suited to that lawful party of yours. The dwarves can be 'All your ale are belong to us', maybe? Or something to do with beards. Really, can a dwarf party be named anything other than something to do with ale and beards?
    Balrog99
    edited April 2017
    How about "Tankards of Steel" for your dwarf party?
    karl_maulderElysianEchoesAerakar
    I kind of like "Wrath of the Righteous" for my LG themed party.
    ElysianEchoes
    Excellent names, both! You know, that Tankards of Steel party is starting to really appeal to me xD
    Balrog99lolien
    Just thought of something! "The Celestial Choir"

5 bards with various songs, 1 cavalier.

Do bard bonuses stack? Like Skald song with normal song?
    inethmement0
    thespace said:

How about Snow White and the 5 dwarves (the other 2 got buried in the avalanche ;)

O_O That's genius! xD I guess Snow White would be a bard? Gotta have good charisma lol.

Grum[Deleted User]lolienKenji
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707

Consider installing the Might and Guile mod for this.

It not only adds more bard and demibard kits, but also replaces bard songs with auras that they can keep active while fighting with weapons (see here for a list).

Be aware, though, that with this mod installed Bards can no longer cast spells from the Conjuration, Abjuration, Invocation, and Necromancy schools. I think the idea is for them to be "bardic warriors", not mages.
    They still get spells like Mirror Image (Illusion) or Stoneskin (Alteration), but not spells like Fireball (Invocation).

Different songs should stack, yes.
    ElysianEchoesKenji
    edited April 2017

Make sure the cavalier is named 'Sir Robin'.
    ElysianEchoestbone1mement0
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 38
    Not sure if this changed with EE, but in the normal Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter game, bard songs of the same type would stack. Playing 5 Ballads of Three Heroes or War Chants of Sith simultaneously would turn the remaining character in quite the combat machine.

Of course, it's not the most varied of parties in terms of tactics and gameplay...

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Meandre said:

Not sure if this changed with EE, but in the normal Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter game, bard songs of the same type would stack. Playing 5 Ballads of Three Heroes or War Chants of Sith simultaneously would turn the remaining character in quite the combat machine.

Of course, it's not the most varied of parties in terms of tactics and gameplay...

Bard Song Stacking was fixed in one of the 2.x patches, so it "should" still work in Icewind Dale, which is still on 1.4. ("Should" in parentheses because I haven't tested personally, and I know that 1.4 does incorporate some other 2.0 fixes, like bard songs breaking invisibility.)
    When I do get this game, I'm totally gonna hafta try it. Sir Robin the Cavalier (courtesy of @Balrog99 ) , one skald, and 4 vanilla bards. Skald song and 4 cumulative Sith songs sounds very potent. But, did they really name it after Star Wars? I wonder . . .

I'll have to catalogue how that adventure goes for everyone lol.

@dockaboomski , I'm curious if you ever tried #1 or #6.
    Balrog99

When I do get this game, I'm totally gonna hafta try it. Sir Robin the Cavalier (courtesy of @Balrog99 ) , one skald, and 4 vanilla bards. Skald song and 4 cumulative Sith songs sounds very potent. But, did they really name it after Star Wars? I wonder . . .

I'll have to catalogue how that adventure goes for everyone lol.

@dockaboomski , I'm curious if you ever tried #1 or #6.

Make sure you take a rabbit familiar with one of the bards in this group. Not only will that rabbit be dynamite, it should be able to take care of traps with ease if the bards all chant that luck song (the name escapes me).
    Ooo, which alignment gets a rabbit? Can I enchant the rabbit with vorpel?
    Not sure about the vorpal but True Neutral gets the cute little bunny rabbit...
    ElysianEchoes
    D'awwww, neeeed bun bun familiar :D
    Balrog99
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    [loads bad Scottish accent]

That's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
    ElysianEchoesAerakarronaldo
    "We'll need to use the Holy Hand Grenade!"
    Aerakartbone1
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @ElysianEchoes not yet, but I'm thinking about it for my next run.