Skip to content

Throwing weapons are annoying

I happen to actually like darts and throwing daggers but not being able to store them in my quiver is very annoying as they take up precious inventory space.

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited April 2017
    To be fair, you should try using them in vanilla BG where stack sizes were much smaller - there were several times I thought "HEH I'll use throwing axes" and then my 18 strength fighter was over weight limit because you could only have stacks of like 10 and they weighed a ton.

Some of the "improvement" mods let you have larger stacks of throwing weapons (120 darts for example in a stack). In the grand scheme of things I don't see anything cheatery about that since GP in the 1-3 GP range only *really* matters at Winthrop's in the prologue.
    SCARY_WIZARDThacoBell
  • KahenrazKahenraz Member Posts: 70
    I played the original BG; I remember. :)

It's only really an issue now as I'm going multiple playthroughs and the added micro management feels inconsistent and otherwise unnecessary. One could argue that a quiver is only for "ammo" types but I would counter that one could easily store daggers and darts on leather straps and belts.

I guess the realism dies when you try to consider that you can carry literally hundreds of ammo-type items. But this is still a fantasy. Let me store my ammo where I want to store it, damnit.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Kahenraz Personally I did not like when throwing dagger weight went to nil. Fantasy or not, I like a more 'believable' fantasy when it comes to D&D like stuff. To each his own though. We have nice returning daggers in mods and returning darts and axes in the game itself. (BG)

I can just picture someone with 200hundred daggers crisscrossed across his body, be like armor. Heaven help him if they fell down :*

But I hear what your saying.
    AerakarUnderstandMouseMagicElysianEchoes
    I always play a gnome so it's hard enough finding an appropriate place to put things. That's where companions come in. I get to RP them holding all of my junk.
    ZaghoulAerakar
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Zaghoul said:

@Kahenraz Personally I did not like when throwing dagger weight went to nil. Fantasy or not, I like a more 'believable' fantasy when it comes to D&D like stuff. To each his own though. We have nice returning daggers in mods and returning darts and axes in the game itself. (BG)

I can just picture someone with 200hundred daggers crisscrossed across his body, be like armor. Heaven help him if they fell down :*

But I hear what your saying.

I think of it more like you're retrieving your thrown daggers after the battle. Not sure about darts, but I think only a small percentage of your thrown daggers (or axes) would be so damaged as to be unusable afterwards. In my mind, I'm not carrying 200 daggers, maybe just 20 and reusing them.
    Aerakar
    On that same note it would be pretty cool if, instead of losing your throwing dagger or dart, it would instead be a % chance due to damage.

Just an idea because it's simple even though it doesn't make sense in the heat of battle retrieving a dagger on each throw.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Kahenraz said:

On that same note it would be pretty cool if, instead of losing your throwing dagger or dart, it would instead be a % chance due to damage.

Just an idea because it's simple even though it doesn't make sense in the heat of battle retrieving a dagger on each throw.

There is a mod for just that I like. Recoverable weapons option on Tweaks Anthology @CamDawg has got posted on here as well as G3.
    You can set the percentage at various lvls.
    Kinda funny because you can also use ones that the enemy has stuck you with if you like. Just pull the arrow out of your leg, I mean, 'It's just a flesh wound'. B)
    AerakarBalrog99
    To further add to my original post, darts can be stacked to 80 but throwing knives only to 40.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Kahenraz said:

To further add to my original post, darts can be stacked to 80 but throwing knives only to 40.

Darts get 3 APR and throwing daggers only get 2 APR, so it's really more like "each stack of darts lasts you 26.7 rounds while each stack of daggers only lasts you 20". Less convenient, sure, but daggers also add strength bonuses to damage, which means you'll kill quicker and use fewer in the long run. I love both weapons and in my experience, they tend to be relatively balanced in terms of convenience.

On my hurler types, I usually find ~3 stacks is enough to keep me supplied between adventures, so in terms of inventory space I'm usually not devoting more than 1-2 extra slots. Thrown weapons in the quiver would be more convenient, but the bigger stacks alone are enough to make them much more usable, IMO.
    Aerakar
    Just make all ammo up to 80 and equippable in ammo slots and be done. It's a minor mechanic and as you said, doesn't take much inventory space to begin with. It wouldn't be a real balance issue. And if you think it is, then just don't put them there.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Baeloth in my party will duel enemies in melee when his Darts are empty even the corresponding gameoption is already checked. And anyone who used up their Melf's Meteors also have unresistable urges to charge enemies in front under Advanced AI:'( .