Skip to content

There Can Only Be One

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
If you were able to play only one of the Infinity Engine games, which'n one would you choose?
Consider the first four options as Schrödinger's Enhanced Editions - the choice reflects either EE or original game; BGEE with or without Siege of Dragonspear, depending on your preference.
  1. There Can Only Be One81 votes
    1. Baldur's Gate
      34.57%
    2. Baldur's Gate II
      51.85%
    3. Icewind Dale
        6.17%
    4. Planescape Torment
        6.17%
    5. Icewind Dale II
        1.23%
CrevsDaak[Deleted User]ArctodusAerakarkanisathaJuliusBorisovBalrog99

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Ooof, can't decide between BG2 (probable winner) and IWD2 (I do love me some DnD 3.0).
    [Deleted User]
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I voted IWD2, but currently I play BG2 all the time. I prefer third edition rules, tbh. Love how BG2 multiclass work, but I hate all else.
    [Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Planescape > Forgotten Realms... always (!)

But I'd really miss the Icewind Dale franchise if it ever comes to such an dystopian future.
    AerakardockaboomskiCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    BG2, no contest. Doesn't mean the other games aren't also great, just that one is a notch higher than the rest.
    AerakarCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @Balrog99 I agree with you that a low magic setting wouldn't work in an IE game for the reasons you listed. It would have to be made in an engine where the fights would have a more subtle approach in general.
    AerakarBalrog99
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Ooh, no love for Icewind Dale yet, I'm shocked! I'm not going to taint my results with my own opinion, but I sure would have a hard time ruling it out.
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaakAerakar[Deleted User]
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    As little as I actually play it right now (due to waiting for the 2.x graphical update to hit it,) I would say Icewind Dale, because it has a much larger degree of customization right from the start. The BG series you can only ever customize your own character from the get-go, PST you're stuck starting the same way all the time, stats being different or no, but in IWD you have full party customization right from the beginning. Want a fighter-only party? Be our guest. A super balanced one? Sure. Solo run? Easy. No arcanists allowed? By all means. I love that kind of customization, it can make a story seem so different.

Plus I'm a nutter and love snow and cold.

I might've said IWD2, if I've played it, though I'm not sure if it's 3.0 or 3.5. If the former, I'd probably not like it as much.
    [Deleted User]dockaboomskiAerakar
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

I might've said IWD2, if I've played it, though I'm not sure if it's 3.0 or 3.5. If the former, I'd probably not like it as much.

3.0. It came out in 2002.

3.5 came out in 2003.
    [Deleted User]
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I feel ashamed.
    [Deleted User]
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    As much as I love the other games, BG II still has the most interesting quests and NPC interactions in my opinion. If it had the freedom to roam from BG I it would be perfect.
    tbone1Aerakar[Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

The Nameless One is also The Voteless One in this thread.