Skip to content

Tips On Character Creation

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
We've tried to not give away spoilers but yet to help people trying the game for the first time or returning to it after many years, and published an article about creating a character in PST:EE.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/04/tips-on-character-creation-in.html

We would be happy to learn how players prefer to distribute attributes and what class you prefer to choose for TNO.
[Deleted User]taclanePibaro_Luke_TeflonelminsterDJKajurucmk24kaguana

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovTeflon
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Powergamer and/or most content - Mage; starting INT 15
    Newbie and/or 2nd playthrough - Fighter; starting STR 15
    Just why? - Thief
    JuliusBorisovTeflon
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Queegon said:

Just why? - Thief

Solo no reload challenge?
    JuliusBorisovTeflon
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    New player here:
    • STR 11
    • DEX 15
    • INT 13
    • CON 12
    • WIS 10
    • CHA 14
    I succeeded into snapping the neck of a poor Dustman B)
    JuliusBorisovDJKajuruTeflon
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    I believe it's OK to ask questions regarding stats here, right? If not, sorry!

I'm curious what an ideal mage stat allocation would be. I know that by leveling up, the Nameless One can get stats over the normal 18 limit. Since you can't do this in any of the other Infinity games (as far as I know), I kind of rushed Intelligence up to 21 (my intelligence surpasses those of normal mortals, I will THINK you to death!). Though, after reading this guide, I'm starting to think I just gimped myself regarding wisdom. Any advice on what I should be focusing on? My current stats are as follows:

Strength: 9
    Intelligence: 21 (23 with tattoo)
    Wisdom: 12
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 9
    Charisma: 9

I'm not against editing these stats if I REALLY messed up.
    TeflonJuliusBorisov
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    If anyone is planning on only doing one play through, having a high wisdom will yield the most dialogue options. I believe intelligence, charisma, then dexterity would follow in that order. This game has a lot of replay ability, though, so it can be fun to try almost any build.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    What's the minimum dexterity necessary for snapping the dusty's neck? Asking for my 2nd run (which will invariably be thief)
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    @Pokota
    13 would be magic number for that one, as well as grabbing and breaking necks of most, if not all, of the pickpockets.</</div>
  • ZuTheSkunkZuTheSkunk Member Posts: 19
    I always just pick 16 for INT, WIS and CHR while leaving the rest at 9 and I go from there.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Bubb said:

I believe it's OK to ask questions regarding stats here, right? If not, sorry!

I'm curious what an ideal mage stat allocation would be. I know that by leveling up, the Nameless One can get stats over the normal 18 limit. Since you can't do this in any of the other Infinity games (as far as I know), I kind of rushed Intelligence up to 21 (my intelligence surpasses those of normal mortals, I will THINK you to death!). Though, after reading this guide, I'm starting to think I just gimped myself regarding wisdom. Any advice on what I should be focusing on? My current stats are as follows:

I'm not against editing these stats if I REALLY messed up.

The good news is you can't really "gimp" yourself in this game stats wise...

Unless you focus purely on the combat stats of Strength, Dex and Con in which case you really do hurt your ability to do just about anything in the game. That said, there is a "best ending" condition through the game without high "mental" stats, so you really aren't gimping yourself here either.

Best Stat Period - Spoiler alert

Wisdom is the best stat for any character hands down. Check out the "stats" spoiler above in my last post for more information but it's stacked with bonuses so much more than anything else in the entire game.

As to stats over 18, yes, you get one stat point to spend per level of TNO in your HIGHEST class (so if you are a 7 warrior and 6 thief and 5 mage, you get a stat point if you go from 7 to 8 warrior, not if you go from 6 - 7 thief for instance) and 25 is the cap.

The highest stat check in the game is a 24. Benefits beyond this are diminishing returns.

Unless you're already well into the game you're probably no where near getting close to "out of levels" so I really wouldn't worry about your character as he stands right now.
    PibaroJuliusBorisovBubb
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    edited April 2017
    My two cents on stats.

This is what I do:

for all classes
    I always give 18 in wisdom, and I never give any more points in wisdom on level up, since you will eventually gain enough point to get the max.
    I always start with 15 INT, since you can pass most of the checks early in the game, and you'll be able to reach 18 with the tatoos.
    13 to CHARISMA is my starting point, and usually I don't spend any more points in it, since I always buy tatoos.
    You have only 2 points left...

Fighter
    I have 2 options here.
    Strenght or Constitution.
    If I want to reach a high strenght I put the 2 starting point in strenght and every level up point in strenght until I reach 18. From now on every other level up point are going into Constitution

Or, and this is my best option, I give everything to constitution!!!
    A very high regeneration rate makes you almost invincible.
    Once I reach the MAX const, I start giving points to dex.
    Tatoos:
    First I buy +1 and +2 Int, then +1 and +2 Char, finally +2 Const.
    Every other one come after those ones.

Mage
    I start with 17 in INT, then I give the next 3 level up points in INT.
    From now on I alternate CON, DEX with some CHAR later in the game.
    Remember: a mage can use the friend spell.
    Tatoos:
    First I buy +1 and +2 Char, then +1 and +2 Int, finally +2 Const.

Thief.... I can't say.
    Never played a thief yet.

TIP:
    I always buy as soon as I can all the increasing stats tatoos!! And I use them on TNO according to any situation.
    JuliusBorisovBubbTeflon
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    Illydth said:

The good news is you can't really "gimp" yourself in this game stats wise...

Unless you focus purely on the combat stats of Strength, Dex and Con in which case you really do hurt your ability to do just about anything in the game. That said, there is a "best ending" condition through the game without high "mental" stats, so you really aren't gimping yourself here either.

Best Stat Period - Spoiler alert

Wisdom is the best stat for any character hands down. Check out the "stats" spoiler above in my last post for more information but it's stacked with bonuses so much more than anything else in the entire game.

As to stats over 18, yes, you get one stat point to spend per level of TNO in your HIGHEST class (so if you are a 7 warrior and 6 thief and 5 mage, you get a stat point if you go from 7 to 8 warrior, not if you go from 6 - 7 thief for instance) and 25 is the cap.

The highest stat check in the game is a 24. Benefits beyond this are diminishing returns.

Unless you're already well into the game you're probably no where near getting close to "out of levels" so I really wouldn't worry about your character as he stands right now.
    This helps a lot. I'll definitely put a greater emphasis on wisdom; and it's good to know I can still "recover" by leveling. Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    Pibaro said:

My two cents on stats.

This is what I do:

for all classes

I always give 18 in wisdom, and I never give any more points in wisdom on level up, since you will eventually gain enough point to get the max.
    I always start with 15 INT, since you can pass most of the checks early in the game, and you'll be able to reach 18 with the tatoos.
    13 to CHARISMA is my starting point, and usually I don't spend any more points in it, since I always buy tatoos.
    You have only 2 points left...

Fighter
    I have 2 options here.
    Strenght or Constitution.
    If I want to reach a high strenght I put the 2 starting point in strenght and every level up point in strenght until I reach 18. From now on every other level up point are going into Constitution

Or, and this is my best option, I give everything to constitution!!!
    A very high regeneration rate makes you almost invincible.
    Once I reach the MAX const, I start giving points to dex.
    Tatoos:
    First I buy +1 and +2 Int, then +1 and +2 Char, finally +2 Const.

Mage
    I start with 17 in INT, then I give the next 3 level up points in INT.
    From now on I alternate CON, DEX with some CHAR later in the game.
    Remember: a mage can use the friend spell.
    Tatoos:
    First I buy +1 and +2 Char, then +1 and +2 Int, finally +2 Const.

Thief.... I can't say.
    Never played a thief yet.

TIP:
    I always buy as soon as I can all the increasing stats tatoos!! And I use them on TNO according to any situation.
    Never played PST, shame I know, I can't decide between mage or fighter. I play Icewind Dale and BG for my fighting fix, so that isn't a priority, so is there an advantage of one over the other from a dialogue standpoint? (this is what I'm most interested in). Thanks!
    Teflon
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    Now I'm even more conflicted, sounds like a backstabbing TNO is a lot of fun in PST. Rogues and Ranger types are by far my most favorite class to play, I didn't realize it was even possible in PST with all of the mage type stats necessary for the dialogue options. What to do......hmmmm.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    In my opinion many people are too concerned about phisical stats in PSTEE.
    You don't need a high dexterity (or strenght) to be a good Rogue, nor you need a high strenght (or dex) to be a good fighter.
    I'm not saying it's not useful, what I'm saying is that it's not crucial.
    So feel free to build it the way you like.
    _Luke_
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    It's not just that people are too concerned about the physical stats, it's also this bizarre idea that we need 18's in everything our prime stats.
    Pibaro
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    In the paperback strategy guide (yes, I owned it way back when) it says wisdom also has a hidden Luck stat, reaching +3 to all rolls at wisdom 25.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Funny that in the end the majority of people will just meta game.
    Pst was made for mental stats and that is what you see people prioritise. Bg/Iwd clearly disfavoured mental stats except prime requisites so people do just that.
    ElysianEchoesPibaro
    edited April 2017
    lroumen said:

Funny that in the end the majority of people will just meta game.

Pst was made for mental stats and that is what you see people prioritise. Bg/Iwd clearly disfavoured mental stats except prime requisites so people do just that.
    I can't even enjoy a game anymore. I'm so obsessed with the meta that I start over and over looking for the ideal build, until I'm too sick of the beginning areas to stomach doing it again. It robs me of the joy of the game, yet I can't stop! Heeeelp.

In other words, meta with discretion lol.
    Post edited by ElysianEchoes on
    PugPugPaulGreystoke
    Does the chance to learn a spell from a scroll even matter? Is it implemented in PST, or disabled like normal difficulty in BG?

Also, I am thinking about doing a run starting with 13 in everything but 10 Con, to pass a bunch of early-game checks. Good idea or bad?
    As for learning spells, I remember reading that so long as you're high enough level in mage and have enough int to learn the spell, you will automatically learn it. They wanted to cut down on people reloading.

As for the second, if that is what sounds fun to do, do it. Don't spend eternity in analysis paralysis purgatory like me lol.

PugPuglolien
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    For Mages, at least in the original, INT also determined the number of mage spells you could learn.
    My stat array is usually 18 WIS (hands down most important), 18 INT (second most important) and then some CHA or DEX. I tend to go for 17 DEX, then work on STR & CON. Might prioritise STR now, though.
    edited April 2017
    It occurs to me that in the early game, you can also gain a lot of extra stat points by switching between classes and abusing AD&D's experience tables. Just make sure you level up to 7 and 12 with your primary class first for bonus specialization stats.

Getting your other two classes to level 6 gets you 10 stat points -- enough to turn a 9 into a 19.

There is a limited number of quests for XP in the game obviously, but not enemies. Especially when clearing out Undersigil.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    PugPug said:

It occurs to me that in the early game, you can also gain a lot of extra stat points by switching between classes and abusing AD&D's experience tables. Just make sure you level up to 7 and 12 with your primary class first for bonus specialization stats.

Getting your other two classes to level 6 gets you 10 stat points -- enough to turn a 9 into a 19.

Levels in classes that are lower than your highest attained level in another class give you only a single hit point on level up, nothing else. Especially not stats.
    PugPugPokota
    Queegon said:

PugPug said:

Levels in classes that are lower than your highest attained level in another class give you only a single hit point on level up, nothing else. Especially not stats.
    Booooooooooooo
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    PugPug said:

In the paperback strategy guide (yes, I owned it way back when) it says wisdom also has a hidden Luck stat, reaching +3 to all rolls at wisdom 25.

From our developers: We did testing around this, and yes, there should be a hidden luck stat that is based on wisdom. We also found/fixed some issues where bonuses to wisdom now provide the luck boost as well, like when an item gives a wisdom bonus.
    AndreaColomboPugPugPokotaPibaro
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I always start the game with WIS 18, INT 15, the rest spread between DEX and CHA. I play Mage all the time.

If I were to try out a Fighter, I'd still keep the same initial attribute spread. First level-up point to bring INT to 16, the rest to physical stats.
    JuliusBorisov

PugPug said:

From our developers: We did testing around this, and yes, there should be a hidden luck stat that is based on wisdom. We also found/fixed some issues where bonuses to wisdom now provide the luck boost as well, like when an item gives a wisdom bonus.
    Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    what are the values by which you can increase your stats the most, apart from investing stat points on level-up?

specializations, tattoos, dialogues...

I think you can increase your wisdom by a lot, but i'd like to know the exact number. maybe you can even hit 24 or even 25 wis by just picking up these bonuses, no?