Skip to content

Legal copy of BG: EE - cannot update

KrajzenKrajzen Member Posts: 4
Hi. I have just realized I am in bad situation.

So, I live in Poland. For a long time I wanted to play legendary Baldurs Gate saga (I love old rpgs) and finally I have bought it in local huge video game store - entirely legal "Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition" physical copy of the game.
How foolish I was - I have assumed that it has to be integrated with Steam or whatever to be up to date.

I don't know who had this idea but no. I have installed the game. There was no CD key, no steam key, no key of any kind, no registration anywhere. I have installed the game and that's everything I got: BG EE.

With a goddamn 1.3 version.

So here am I: with a legal legit bought officialy distributed copy of the game, yet I seemingly cannot update it to the newest version.

What can I do? Please help.
Here is the photo proof of my despair. i.imgur.com/udQi7MNr.jpg

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    We hear you. We hear all people who bought DVD boxes with the EEs.

Q: I have a physical Enhanced Edition disk. Can I use the Beamdog Client to update?

The Beamdog Client is currently unable to update physical copies of Beamdog games because the Beamdog Client requires you own the game from beamdog.com. Supporting physical copies is a planned feature of the Client which will be added in the future.

https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_faq#15
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited April 2017
    For what it's worth, 1.3 is actually a very solid version and a better representation of "vanilla" BG2 than 2.x would be, besides. I'm playing BG1/BG2 on iOS, and they're both stuck on 1.3 there, too. There are a couple of the 2.x bug fixes I wish I had, but otherwise, it's really stable, (far less buggy than BG2 was, actually), and still a phenomenal game.

I get and share your frustration at being locked into 1.3, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a terrible fate by any stretch. 1.3 BGEE is fantastic.
  • KrajzenKrajzen Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I wanted to play with many mods and they are usually up to date with 2.x versions (and I like 2.x changes btw).

Are you kidding me. If I recall correctly 2.0 patch arrived one year ago. So there are thousands of physical game copies frozen in time, packaged and sent to stores without any kind of integration with client services, patches etc without any option to connect and update them.
    It's absurd; I could have pirated the game but thought
    1) First and foremost I won't steal and I will support classic games and people who support them
    2) I want to have the newest version of the game, updated by net, to be capable of using newest mods and features

I am seriously angry.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I'm playing 1.3, mods work fine.
    Would have thought there are more older mods that won't work on the updated one?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Is there any reason why Beamdog won't put out a standalone, downloadable patch for physical copies of the game?
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Kilivitz said:

Is there any reason why Beamdog won't put out a standalone, downloadable patch for physical copies of the game?

Hahaha that made me laugh. They don't even patch digital copies of there games on ios or android let alone physical copies.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    This is why patches should be made available for manual download individually. I have requested this feature several times the last few years, actually. It can't be that expensive to put up a few hundred megabytes of patches up on their servers?

Let people get access to an unpatched game in the store, and have the patches up there as well. Everyone who don't like the 2.0 patch and so on would be happy. People who are having problems getting their game to update could just do it themselves manually with a few clicks.

Come on., Beamdog. The solution is right there.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2017
    I'll be honest, I'm still very confused why they're making this hard to create a simple patch. Most computer game companies don''t have this issue at all, and as far back as the late 90s with physical copy games. What is the difference then to compared to now? Has patching programs gotten so complicated that it requires a rip in space time to make it happen?