Skip to content

Evil Alignment plausible in IWD? (Plz no spoilers)

Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
Hi all

I haven't played this game for a decade. Can't recall the storyline. Are there any plot reasons a neutral/evil, predominantly evil party wouldn't go on these quests? I prefer selfish bastards over high-fantasy goody two-shoes, it's just my way, but I want a plausible roleplaying experience, too.

No spoilers, please.
Kenji

Comments

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Thing with IWDEE is there no real alignment segregation. So just play how and who you want.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Sure, but in some cases in BG, you take on cases specifically for the good cause, no award offered or available, in fact clearly ruled out in the dialogue options. Those quests suck, or rather their prompts suck. I was wondering if any major quests were clearly pro bono publico and with no reward in sight. An evil or selfish character might have a hard time justifying taking on such trouble in such cases.
    edited April 2017
    Of course, an intelligent character might consider that there must be room and opportunity for graft, corruption, embezzlement or outright theft SOMEWHERE even during the most noble of causes. Yeah, that'll do.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Sure, but in some cases in BG, you take on cases specifically for the good cause, no award offered or available, in fact clearly ruled out in the dialogue options. Those quests suck, or rather their prompts suck. I was wondering if any major quests were clearly pro bono publico and with no reward in sight. An evil or selfish character might have a hard time justifying taking on such trouble in such cases.

Pro Bono events aside from helping Kuldahar are on a per-class basis, not a per-alignment basis. Evil characters can easily justify helping Kuldahar as a revenge strike against whoever attacked them in the pass.
    Contemplative_HamsterMathsorcerersemiticgoddess
    Cheers, I can work with that.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Yup. And I'll say that there are a few areas where you can be evil, or where being evil makes more sense.

Example:

Kuld: "They won't pay me? I'm going to pickpocket everyone to get my pay out of them." Can get some nice gear that way.

You said you didn't want spoilers. But I can think of 2 other areas in the game where you can act evil. Either for self preservation, or for convenience/profit.
    edited April 2017
    Cheers for your comments, everyone. Actually, in my current game I have gone down the ostensibly good path with an evil character in one instance, for roleplaying reasons. My party leader, a Lawful Evil Champion of Myrkul, God of the Dead, and by extension Burials etc., (a paladin-esque kit from the fantastic Faiths and Powers mod), didn't approve of the halfling in Kuldahar burying the proper owner of the inn in an unmarked grave and taking over the operation. See, I COULD'VE just taken the selfish path to free lodgings in return for not telling anyone, but Myrkul would have disapproved of the halfling trespassing on his portfolio. (Heh, the halfling even called me a paladin, and he didn't mean it as a compliment!)

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited April 2017
    There are quite interesting evil/neutral/chaotic dialogue options , starting from easthaven where you have dishonest , greedy or even rude lines . A few early game spoilers on an evil party motivation:
    There are dialogue options where You can take Hrotgar's quest because it leads to fortune and (from a more lawful approach) glory.
    In kuldahar pass there are evil dialogue options when dealing with the boy who lost his family, including an cleric line a and in kuldahar you might not wanna help them out of your good heart, but there are dialogue options with arundel where you conclude that you're stuck in the pass and your only way out is this misterious enemy
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    sometimes it's actually possible to do good things that get you little to no reward for bad intentions as well.