Skip to content

Ashirukuru (Durlag's Tower)

YakshaYaksha Member Posts: 4
Hey people, does anyone know what are the Ashirukuru (in Durlag's Tower)? Google doesn't help, wherever I look I only get "the invisible monster", I can't find any detailed description of these creatures. They're humanoid, I guess by the in-game sprite.
Is anyone familiar with Ashirukuru from the AD&D 2ndE Forgotten Realms lore?
Post edited by Yaksha on
[Deleted User][Deleted User]lolienFinnTheHumanGoturalThacoBellSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I looked it up on google and couldn't find anything either - perhaps it's a unique monster, like the air aspect or the giant polar bear from Durlag's?
    [Deleted User]
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    why thank you @Yaksha
    lolienGotural
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]SCARY_WIZARD
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    MacHurto said:

Sprites are probably adult to not make you murder a kid, I'd think

That hasn't stopped Neb's ghost children to look child-sized.

Besides im fairly certain kids can die in EE (although in vanilla they weren't)

Never heard the laughing at the maze either, and I've got headphones and everything.
    [Deleted User]SCARY_WIZARD
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    MacHurto[Deleted User]Aerakar
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @SirBatince sure, but that was another game and they look like ghosts, not kids. Would have been the perfect sprite for these ones if they are indeed dead dwarven kids.

In any case they could have used halfling rogue sprites, so not sure if they are supposed to be kids at all.
    [Deleted User]
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I've always assumed they are actual creatures that inhabit elemental planes of air in Forgotten Realms or something like that, similar to invisible stalkers. But learning that they are actually nowhere to be seen in FR lore makes me ponder what they really are.

And I don't recall ever hearing their "cry".
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell
    TressetAerakarMontresor_SP
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    They do make sounds, but they are sounds from the ghoul soundset; so no, not children. They are some kind of chaotic evil undead spectre though, according to the game's data. They have the same animation as a female elven thief. Perhaps they are some custom built monster? One that only exists in BG?

OH! THAT EXPLAINS IT!!! Um... not the Ashirukuru thing... Just this one bug I encountered in the vanilla game a looong time ago.
    [Deleted User]
    DJKajuru
  • spoondivyspoondivy Member Posts: 1
    Casting a Scroll of Protection From Undead renders them helpless and very easy to exterminate.
    Aerakar[Deleted User]DJKajuruQuartz
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    All I know is that they are the kind of critter not to be taken lightly. :*
    AerakarQuartz
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    They are one of a couple of things created purely for BG and Durlag's tower. That was mentioned somewhere back in the day long lost to me. I always just assumed they were in the vein of creature as the invisible stalker and the shadow fiend.
    Aerakar
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    It could be a bad translation to Japanese and then romanized, something like 悪しる来る, which isn't a real Japanese word or phrase, but roughly equates to "approaching evil".
    SkatanAerakarDJKajuruArunsun
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

MacHurto said:

Sprites are probably adult to not make you murder a kid, I'd think

That hasn't stopped Neb's ghost children to look child-sized.

Never heard the laughing at the maze either, and I've got headphones and everything.
    The difference with Neb's ghost children is that they are not supposed to be killed: they are enslaved by Neb and freed once he dies
    ThacoBell
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Just as Daital was a mage in Durlag's party, as was Grael, I assume Ashikuruku was the party rogue. It matches his sprite and the other named enemies in the tower.

I also like to think of Grael as a cleric. It would make him the party healer and would leave the heroics to Durlag.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Grum said:

Just as Daital was a mage in Durlag's party, as was Grael, I assume Ashikuruku was the party rogue. It matches his sprite and the other named enemies in the tower.

I also like to think of Grael as a cleric. It would make him the party healer and would leave the heroics to Durlag.

But... there are three Ashikurukus.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    DJKajuru said:

Grum said:

But... there are three Ashikurukus.
    Ghost?

I like my theory. :(

Also...is Grael Hurgan's grandfather? Because Hurgan said that his grandfather fought with Durlag but died fighting the tanaari...
    AerakarDJKajuru
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    most of the named in Durlag's Tower are actually family. Not traveling companions. So these are probably just creatures brought in here as part of the traps and danger of the place.
    Quartz
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    ThacoBell said:

Can we have a game about Durlag's adventures? Please?

I don't know if I'd want to expand on Durlag specifically, but I'd love to have another lovingly crafted dungeon on that level with the amount of traps, variety of enemies, visual cues, length, and themes of danger and loss.
    AerakarUnderstandMouseMagicQuartz
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Just ran into this ghost child and caught me by surprise sneak attack and almost took out my main PC :neutral:
    [Deleted User]Aerakar
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Those Ashirukuru are IMO some of the most difficult adversaries in the game, up there with Khark the ogre mage. If you end up with two on you at once - which can happen if you try and rush through the maze - it gets bloody. Throw in the spell and fire traps and that area is dangerous.
    Quartz