Skip to content

AC issue - bracers combined with armour

Running BG2 Beta, no mods.

I have a thief wearing Bracers AC3. If I then also equip them with Aegers Hide +3, which is AC3 but AC5 for piercing and missile, then this overrides the bracers AC3 setting for piercing and missile, and the char sheet shows the +2 modifiers.

It doesn't matter which I equip first.

Is this intended? It doesn't seem like it should be.

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2017
    I'm curious, what would happen if you wore AC 2 bracers?

It's probably intended, or at least an unavoidable game limitation, because they're basically effects that the items constantly generate and they're all independent. Or put another way, You're getting AC 3 from BOTH items at the same time. But since they're flat bonuses, they overlap, and so you only notice one. The Armor type mods are also bonuses, but they're actually cumulative, not flat, and so you'd notice them whether you had the bracers on or not.

Actually, having said that, I'd expect you'd still see the armor type mods with Bracers AC 2. Except as subtledoctor says below, the AC 2 bracers would override the AC 3 armor when doing a similar, non-cumulative effect.

edit-meant to say they overlap, not stack.
    Post edited by Quickblade on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No, no, you'd sell the armor, because it's making your piercing and missile AC worse.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Use the bracers and sell/use the armour elsewhere unless you have another reason to wear it. And if that's the case sell/use the bracers elsewhere. there is no point to wearing both.
    Oh, well then, it could leave you bare naked and it'd be worth it then.

<-- Despises save or else disablers.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

The armor gives you immunity to confusion (and charm? I forget). I presume that's the reason the OP combined the items in the first place.

Just confusion, no charm, but it also adds a small amount of elemental damage resists.

This thread is really interesting, I would never have thought that an armor's modifiers were applied separately like that. So if I'm rolling with a Stalker, say, and I give him the Bracers of A.C. 3, I should still equip a suit of Studded Leather even though it's not boosting my base AC, just for the modifiers. Neat!
    It's still possible the armour is just outright taking precedence and over-riding the gauntlets. They may have something set that makes one item slot take precedence over another. Only way to test it is to get a lower AC set of bracers. Or a similar but higher AC set of armour. I'm not currently in a position to do either sadly.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Base AC does not have an ordered precedence, it always uses the best(lowest) value from all sources.

Yeah, easy way to test is to equip bracers of AC 2. Then, with Aeger's hide, you'll be AC 2 generally, but AC 4 vs. piercing/missile.

(Personally I think those extra modifiers vs. certain damage types are annoying and silly. I mod them out of my game.)

I think of them as a test to see who is reading the fine print. Paying attention to modifiers really gives you a healthy respect for garden-variety Full Plate over, say, Ankheg Plate or Shadow Dragon Scale.
    Those modifiers are something that existed in 2nd ed in pnp. The game in future iterations would lessen and then discard them altogether. But yes they certainly do have an affect.
    I leave them in and use mods like Full Plate and Packing Steel to have armor give damage reduction. So that when you're hit in full plate, it does less damage than when you're hit wearing maille.

AC is ok, but there are clear limits to it, and it's evident by ToB that the system gets broken at high levels. Where a well applied secondary effect such as DR (either flat or %, or even both) makes all armors more attractive and more useable and desirable instead of just packing on whatever's got the best AC.

Although I suppose in a system where eventually you hit or get hit with every attack, the heaviest and most absorptive armor still wins.

They have an effect on the game, but they don't have any real effect on your play or your tactical options. You never switch from plate armor to chain or hide because the modifier against some damage type is better. You never switch from bastard sword to spear because you see the enemy is wearing hide armor.

No, but it does give finer gradations in quality between different suits. For example, it makes it so Ankheg Plate isn't unambiguously better than Full Plate. Ankheg plate is better if you have low strength, Full Plate is better if you have high strength.
    The AD&D system was never really meant to go to high levels. Those were added on later and not with the thought out nature of the base system. They were just one thing in a growing list of OP twinking that took over the game over time.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    fateless said:

The AD&D system was never really meant to go to high levels. Those were added on later and not with the thought out nature of the base system. They were just one thing in a growing list of OP twinking that took over the game over time.

It was assumed that, around the time one was near level 10, varying by class, one would have a "stronghold", either by building, taking over, or taking. Fighters could build a castle, druids establish a grove, wizards a tower, and so on. Character above level 13 was almost mythical (and that does include the assassin guild masters). If I remember correctly, the old Greyhawk campaign setting had three clerics who were high enough level to cast resurrection.

Pretty much. That's why the most powerful Druid for the whole overarching order was only level 16 and anything over that was rare and retirement after finally being replaced. Being ble to cast 8th and 9th level spells was totally epic and the stuff of legends.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited May 2017
    Actually, AC modifiers against specific types of attacks are:
    -Cumulative, no matter the source
    -Uncapped, from what I know. Never actually pushed it very far but it would be useless. I know that monks get a huge AC against missile, about -15 bonus IIRC. EDIT: Apparently they are capped at -20, not that you'd be able to reach that for anything but missile attacks though.
    -Allow you to exceed the AC Cap, and are unrelated to the "Normal" AC: If you have - 20AC from spells, innates and items, you can add - 6 thanks to Dex (which gives - 6AC for dex>24), another - 2 with single weapon style, and then the extra modifiers come in, so for example wearing a golden girdle and a full plate armor, you'll get an extra - 7 against slashing attacks for example, or alternatively, potions of absorption give you a fancy - 10 AC against blunt attacks, so that would prevent event the great Demogorgon from hitting you if you quaff a couple of them
    Post edited by Arunsun on
    Arunsun said:

Actually, AC modifiers against specific types of attacks are:
    -Cumulative, no matter the source
    -Uncapped, from what I know. Never actually pushed it very far but it would be useless. I know that monks get a huge AC against missile, about -15 bonus IIRC
    -Allow you to exceed the AC Cap, and are unrelated to the "Normal" AC: If you have - 20AC from spells, innates and items, you can add - 6 thanks to Dex (which gives - 6AC for dex>24), another - 2 with single weapon style, and then the extra modifiers come in, so for example wearing a golden girdle and a full plate armor, you'll get an extra - 7 against slashing attacks for example, or alternatively, potions of absorption give you a fancy - 10 AC against blunt attacks, so that would prevent event the great Demogorgon from hitting you if you quaff a couple of them

Wow, that's good to know. I never thought about trying to stack armor AC type mods.

Any way to get rid of or tune the AC hardcap?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The only AC that is capped is that set by opcode 0, at -20 and +20, individually for each type (base, slashing, piercing, missile, crushing).
    Armor Class modifiers from Dexterity and Weapon Styles are not capped.

The attack roll itself isn't capped, but overflows from negative to positive. Given the way that the attacker's THAC0 and attack roll modifiers, and the defenders Base AC and specific AC modifiers interact, any one of them can overflow the to-hit equation.