Skip to content

How to kill SCS Kangaxx in 2 easy steps

johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
I'm amazed it worked. I reloaded again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and damn hell it wasn't. You don't even need to buff up your party. For this to work you basically need 2 things:
1) 2 Spike traps
2) The priest spell: Sunray

So before I engaged Kangaxx, I got Jan to cast just 2 spike traps - that's more than enough as you can see here:

Now as the demilich emerges, get Anomen to start casting Sunray. Sure enough, after the poor demilich had his first taste of freedom after so long, he died almost instantly. I even felt a small tinge of sadness for him/her/it. Powerful as a lich/demi-lich is, afterall it is still an Undead, and that is its ultimate weakness. The whole thing lasted less than a minute.

Now, I know some of you might think, that's so cheese because you already pre-empted everything. To be fair, I had another rematch where I let Kangaxx put up his buffs and spells. Anomen's spell False Dawn did the trick: False Dawn's confuses it and it merely stands there and a consequent Sunray ultimately destroyed him.

If you guys want to see it, I can redo the match and do a recording of it :)
Post edited by johntyl on

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Spike Traps are just so... yuck. I mean I can handle me a whiff of fermented dairy every now and then but this is like a munster and a casu marzu had an osmidrotic baby.

Sunray is fair game, though.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397

Spike Traps are just so... yuck. I mean I can handle me a whiff of fermented dairy every now and then but this is like a munster and a casu marzu had an osmidrotic baby.

Agreed. And I wonder why it's Magic damage, and not say Piercing damage, when it's supposedly a Spike trap (i.e. spikes).

And speaking of which, I wonder if SCS thieves are coded to set HLA traps too.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    If they aren't they should be. It would be a hilarious bout of fair play and would probably make a few people fear NPC bounty hunters.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I seem to recall the RR mod changes spike traps to piercing damage for consistency.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Does Protection from Undead not work in SCS? In vanilla, if I'm so inclined, I can clear every lich out of the city first thing after emerging from Chateau Irenicus with a pair of PFU scrolls, (just make sure to get the City Gates lich first so you have a weapon to kill Kangaxx with).

That does seem like the first sort of thing SCS would nerf. On the other hand, so does Spike Trap...
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Sunray is awesome. I really don't understand why people say high level priest spells are garbage. It's one that is quite useful and it's not cheat or cheese to use sunray to defeat liches. Why, they are undead and this spell is aimed at powerful undead.

Protection from Udead is protection from undead. How people can think it's cheat or cheese is utterly beyond me. You aren't going to hack and slash your way out without any magic or healing, you may just do it right.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    SomeSort said:

Does Protection from Undead not work in SCS? In vanilla, if I'm so inclined, I can clear every lich out of the city first thing after emerging from Chateau Irenicus with a pair of PFU scrolls, (just make sure to get the City Gates lich first so you have a weapon to kill Kangaxx with).

That does seem like the first sort of thing SCS would nerf. On the other hand, so does Spike Trap...

I've heard that SCS Kangaxx will cast summons to act as fodder to debuff your PFU i.e. Fallen Planetars who can still sense you and chase you, and Kangaxx will cast debuffs near the Planetar to dispell your PFU. Not sure if that's truly the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Cvijeta said:

Sunray is awesome. I really don't understand why people say high level priest spells are garbage. It's one that is quite useful and it's not cheat or cheese to use sunray to defeat liches. Why, they are undead and this spell is aimed at powerful undead.

Protection from Udead is protection from undead. How people can think it's cheat or cheese is utterly beyond me. You aren't going to hack and slash your way out without any magic or healing, you may just do it right.

I don't think anyone says high-level priest spells are garbage. They're just well down the power curve. I mean, level 7 priest spells are better than level 2 priest spells, but level 7 priest spells are not better *at the time you first get them* than level 2 priest spells are *at the time you first get them*.

And "the time you first get them" is pretty early, and they don't get any better as the game goes on. Clerics eventually get HLAs to try to refresh the pool, but with one exception, (Deva), in my opinion the HLAs are roughly on par with the top level 7 spells, anyway. So it's not really a power boost.

By the way, I likewise don't think anyone thinks PFU scrolls are a "cheat". But they are unequivocally cheese of the highest order. I could literally take a level 1 kitless thief with 5 strength, 9 dex, and 3 con, give her a few thousand gold, and go defeat Kangaxx with her.

Think about this. This is basically the weakest, most inept, most useless character class I could possibly create. A level 1 vanilla Thief with 5 strength and 5 HP. Taking down one of the most powerful demiliches in history, a being so terrifying and immensely powerful that its body was broken into pieces and *other liches* were set to guard those pieces.

This is pretty much the textbook definition of cheese.
    SomeSort said:

I don't think anyone says high-level priest spells are garbage. They're just well down the power curve. I mean, level 7 priest spells are better than level 2 priest spells, but level 7 priest spells are not better *at the time you first get them* than level 2 priest spells are *at the time you first get them*.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I'd just like to point out that this is not uncommon in many games, where early gains have HUGE impact while there is considerable diminishing returns at the higher stages, where increments slow to a crawl. Not really a fair comparison in that respect, since that is an inherent feature of most difficulty/progression curves in games. Truly linear progression is very rare.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Actually what's wrong with it is that you can indeed attack the undead after you cast it. Most such spells tend to break once you get aggressive towards what they are protecting you against. That is the point where it gets cheesy.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    SomeSort said:

By the way, I likewise don't think anyone thinks PFU scrolls are a "cheat". But they are unequivocally cheese of the highest order.

Well, a level-one mage just managed to feeble-mind a dragon then play with it anyway she likes.
    I won't call it a "textbook definition of cheese", but an amusing way to play this game as it offers us so much freedom, same goes for PFU :)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The traps don't surprise me. Fun fact: you can actually set 2 traps to take down Kangaxx's lich form, another 2 traps in the corner, and then use the Ring of the Ram to knock Kangaxx's demilich form into the other 2 traps.

But there's one thing I don't understand. How did Sunray kill Kangaxx's demilich form?

Demiliches are immune to level 1-9 spells. Sunray is level 7. It shouldn't hit Kangaxx at all.

And SCS is supposed to grant Kangaxx's demilich form 100% magic resistance on top of those spell level immunities. Sunray shouldn't have been able to bypass that, either.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

Demiliches are immune to level 1-9 spells. Sunray is level 7. It shouldn't hit Kangaxx at all.

And SCS is supposed to grant Kangaxx's demilich form 100% magic resistance on top of those spell level immunities. Sunray shouldn't have been able to bypass that, either.

SCS changes that somewhat. Demiliches only get a blanket protection from levels 1-5, after which they're protected by their 100% magic resistance as well as specific protection against spells bypassing said resistance.

Except Sunray, that is. I think Dragon's Breath works as well.
    Kurona said:

I think Dragon's Breath works as well.

That is not surprising as DB is both a lvl 10 spell *and* innately bypasses magic resistance.

However Sunray should not do either in its base state so I guess SCS does something to that end, as stated. I wonder what SR does to Sunray? It's been a while since I played...
    Sunray's base effects are stopped by MR but the undead-specific effects are not. This isn't SCS doing. The only thing SCS does is removing blanket level immunity above 5 and cherry picking what goes through and what does not (probably in order to make the demilich capable to cast protection spells on itself).
    Kurona said:

Sunray's base effects are stopped by MR but the undead-specific effects are not. This isn't SCS doing. The only thing SCS does is removing blanket level immunity above 5 and cherry picking what goes through and what does not (probably in order to make the demilich capable to cast protection spells on itself).

An interesting way to solve the buff problem, but does that mean Sunray going through is simply a bug/oversight? Is there some deeper reason (hardcoded trouble etc.)?
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Sunray is ultimate spell against undead, read the in-game description, it is not oversight, thats how it should work.

Kurona said:

An interesting way to solve the buff problem, but does that mean Sunray going through is simply a bug/oversight? Is there some deeper reason (hardcoded trouble etc.)?
    That's something only @DavidW can answer and basically boils down to whether or not he knew about Sunray bypassing MR against undead.

Even if it's an oversight it's less cheesy than the Improved Mace of Disruption, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Cvijeta said:

Sunray is ultimate spell against undead, read the in-game description, it is not oversight, thats how it should work.

Well, demiliches are also sort of the ultimate undead. Ultimate vs. ultimate, who wins? I mean, if there was simply one spell that just kills any undead no questions asked there'd be a lot less problems with liches and the likes, wouldn't there...

Killing a demilich with a single spell smells of god-like power. Not of any random higher level cleric.

SomeSort said:

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I'd just like to point out that this is not uncommon in many games, where early gains have HUGE impact while there is considerable diminishing returns at the higher stages, where increments slow to a crawl. Not really a fair comparison in that respect, since that is an inherent feature of most difficulty/progression curves in games. Truly linear progression is very rare.
    Right, and I don't think most classes *should* have linear power gains. Every class progresses at a different rate.

Mages gain the least from low levels and the most from high levels. Hitting level 9 and gaining Time Stop / Improved Alacrity is *MUCH* more potent than hitting level 3 and gaining fireball. Clerics, on the other hand, see some of the biggest power increases at low levels, and much lesser power increases at higher levels. Warriors tend to be relatively linear-- other than spikes at level 7 and level 13 you're mostly just grinding out HP / Saves / THACO, and then once you stop gaining those you're mostly just grinding out HLAs, which are of the single-use variety instead of the global-benefit variety and therefore also grant linear power gains.

The most interesting comparison to Clerics, in my opinion, is Druids. Clerics are *much* better at low levels. They dominate Druids in spell selection at levels 1, 2, and 3. Around level 4, they reach parity. And then once they hit level 5, Druids start leaving Clerics in the dust. Are Druids better than Clerics? It depends on where you're sampling. At 500k XP? Hell no. At 5m XP? Hell yes.

This is why I don't say that Clerics are a "bad class", though. They're not. They're just the class that gains the least from higher levels, because most of their power gains are distributed earlier in the curve.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I think it's a mistake to mix up "magic" with the cleansing power of sunlight.
    I don't see how sunlight can be ignored as a devestating effect on undead without rewriting the whole cultural background.
    Which of course happens in "Twilight" with the sparkly vampires if I understand correctly?
    And how popular is that?

The magic is in harnessing the power, not the power unleashed.

And yes it does bring into question why there are so many powerful undead wandering around when all anybody has to do is open the curtains.
    But then that's maybe why there aren't so many undead wandering around in RL.

So perhaps the the way of looking at it is that only a few ultra powerful undead manage to gain the ability to resist sunlight and we don't actually come across any of them in BG.
    Basically Kangaax is full of shite.

I don't see how sunlight can be ignored as a devestating effect on undead without rewriting the whole cultural background.
    Which of course happens in "Twilight" with the sparkly vampires if I understand correctly?
    And how popular is that?

Do any undead other than vampires have a stereotypical weakness to sunlight? It seems to me that the cultural background of most types of undead include no such weakness. Plenty of daylight zombie scenes in The Walking Dead, plenty of daylight mummy scenes in The Mummy, etc.

I don't see any cultural/stereotypical reason why a Lich would have a weakness to natural sunlight. In which case, Sunray is so damaging precisely because it's not natural sunlight, it's "magical" sunlight. In which case it'd make sense for magical resistances to mitigate the harm.

Or for them not to mitigate the harm. The thing about magic is that it gets to be as arbitrary as it wants, because magic. Why does Firestorm bypass magic resistances while Fireball doesn't? Because magic!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

The magic is in harnessing the power, not the power unleashed.

When did sunlight do 3d6 damage instantly to ALL creatures?

Personally, I prefer the SR version, does 6d6 to anything, undead take a ton more damage (1d6/level, which for a Sunray is going to be 14d6+), but instant death only applies to vampires and shadow-type creatures.
    Keep in mind that Kangaxx in the OP was not killed by the insta-death effect of Sunray. The log would have displayed 1000+ damage if it were the case. Kangaxx died to the regular bonus damage the spell does to undead. The insta-death does allow a save vs. spell without penalty.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited May 2017
    Kurona said:

Keep in mind that Kangaxx in the OP was not killed by the insta-death effect of Sunray. The log would have displayed 1000+ damage if it were the case. Kangaxx died to the regular bonus damage the spell does to undead. The insta-death does allow a save vs. spell without penalty.

Edit-You'd already mentioned the source of it being the undead-specific damage in Sunray coded as non-magical bypassing resistance.

Kangaxx has a pretty reasonable chance of barely living through a L14 Sunray, but not a very good chance at all of a L20 Sunray.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited May 2017
    SomeSort said:

SomeSort said:

Right, and I don't think most classes *should* have linear power gains. Every class progresses at a different rate.

Mages gain the least from low levels and the most from high levels. Hitting level 9 and gaining Time Stop / Improved Alacrity is *MUCH* more potent than hitting level 3 and gaining fireball. Clerics, on the other hand, see some of the biggest power increases at low levels, and much lesser power increases at higher levels. Warriors tend to be relatively linear-- other than spikes at level 7 and level 13 you're mostly just grinding out HP / Saves / THACO, and then once you stop gaining those you're mostly just grinding out HLAs, which are of the single-use variety instead of the global-benefit variety and therefore also grant linear power gains.

The most interesting comparison to Clerics, in my opinion, is Druids. Clerics are *much* better at low levels. They dominate Druids in spell selection at levels 1, 2, and 3. Around level 4, they reach parity. And then once they hit level 5, Druids start leaving Clerics in the dust. Are Druids better than Clerics? It depends on where you're sampling. At 500k XP? Hell no. At 5m XP? Hell yes.

This is why I don't say that Clerics are a "bad class", though. They're not. They're just the class that gains the least from higher levels, because most of their power gains are distributed earlier in the curve.
    This is only true in a fantasy game where the creatures you're fighting get tougher as you level up. This is done artificially to keep the game from getting boring. What's truly more powerful, a huge explosion that can kill 40 or 50 normal people in one blast, or stopping time for a few rounds so you can slit 5-10 of their throats? Horrid Wilting wouldn't kill more peasants than Fireball (well maybe a few more because of radius but you get the point).

It only seems that the mages most powerful spells are in the higher levels because you're fighting enemies that are also that powerful. I think it would be pretty terrifying to face even a 5th level mage. Think about the arsenal of spells: Fireball, lightning bolt, skull trap, Melf's minute meteors, monster summoning, slow, haste, hold person, dire charm, acid arrow, invisibility, horror, mirror image, charm person, sleep, magic missile, color spray, spook, blindness. You could wipe out an entire town without batting an eyelash!
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2017

Well, because there's not supposed to be any such thing. Those scrolls are artifact-level powerful, but instead of finding one at the bottom of Watcher's Keep, the game lets you have them for a few hundred gp each, from a merchant. That's what is cheesy about them.

I mean, those things should sell for like 100,000gp apiece, and they would still be sold out everywhere you look. And all undead menaces would long since have been extinguished, because every 3rd-level adventuring doofus would be wiping out all the vampire and liches in the world.

Yeah, basically the item makes no sense as placed in the game, and that is what makes it cheesy.

Heh, I think you are overlooking players like me who never bought the darned things, thinking them one of those spells where if the Undead save from spell, they then eat your lunch. I mean, as you say, they are right there at the Adventurer's Mart when you emerge from Casa Irenicus. How powerful could they be? Well, they and Protection from Magic turn out to be pretty darned powerful, it tuns out. It has been worth it to me, who has been playing BG2 since it came out, to sign up for these forums. I have learned that: 1. Bards are not worthless 2. Charisma is 3. Protection from Undead and Magic are scrolls that you better glom onto once you see them, likewise Potions of Clarity. 4. Mislead is a very powerful spell 5. Likewise the Staff of the Magi, and 6. Mazzy is worth having in your party. Can't wait for my next revelation from you guys. :smiley:

EDIT: And it has already happened. Feeblemind is not a worthless spell. Thanks, @Somesort! :smile: