Skip to content

Problems with custom portraits

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
So I've made a few custom portraits:

They are all 210x330 pixel 24-bit bmp's as required
They all end in "L" on the filename as required

They look fine on the character description screen but on the overall party portrait list they show the generic "Biff the understudy" image i.e. the generic face with a questions mark in the middle, without the portrait I created

Does anyone know why??

Thanks

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2017
    Hi @Dharius, the most common problem is the naming convention used. You could try naming the portraits without any capitals at the start and ending with an M or S. Names ending with an L aren't used for the right hand panel ingame.

Edit: not sure whether you have caps at the start...
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @Gusinda, but there's a thread that says we only need to provide "L" versions which should be resized for any purpose, or maybe I've misinterpreted?

I'm not sure why this is so complicated, but can anyone direct me to a full set of instructions of what I need to get a portrait to work in all eventualities, that is up to date and makes perfect sense ? :)

It really shouldn't be this tough ;)
    I've fixed it - it's to do with the filenames starting with capitals (they shouldn't). Thanks @Gusinda

I have to say it's disappointing that this process isn't very straightforward though...
    BTW does anyone know the portrait code for Clara in BG2EE?

I think it's either "DSCLARA" or "OHHEX" - but when I put these in I'm not able to recover the portrait...only a blank space where the portrait should be, so not sure I have the right code...

In comparison, Hexxat's portrait can be recovered this way, and her portrait's code is "OHHEXX"

Thanks!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    Clara's not listed in BG2EE in my installation, but she's BDCLARA in BGEE - you could try that if you're sure she should be available.
    I'll give it a try, thanks @Grond0