Skip to content

Strange Messages on Spell Scrolls

UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
edited May 2017 in Troubleshooting
I'm presuming this is down to SCS, but depending on where you pick them up, suddenly getting an odd message on a spell scroll really creeps me out.

I've just killed the lich for Edwin's Nether Scroll. The lich dropped an Improved Mantle Spell Scroll. This is what is written.

"Accidently, so do I. Ha! No rest for the wicked eh? So....I will not tarry getting to the point"

The combination of an ancient lich, in the crypts, then the ramblings of a madman, is really disturbing.
It feels like the game is haunted (going to turn it off very quietly and creep away)

Never seen this mentioned elsewhere, I've had a few where's there's no writing just the restrictions on who can use the scroll.

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited May 2017
    That definitely gives a creepy-madman like quality to the scroll - but just so you know, that is a result from a broken dialog.tlk file.

Edit - Not accurate:

*broken dialog.tlk file* may not be an accurate description, it's more that some references in that file no longer match your current install. Things like that happen when you use an old save in a game that you have meanwhile updated with a different mod selection.

It is a result from a broken mod-installation - more specifically, the dialog that the scroll is wrongly referencing is from the Kivan and Deheriana Companions for BG2 mod. I do not think it is possible to fix your game without completely redoing the install process, and I am not sure if the save game will be compatible with a new install.

You can still continue to play your current game, of course. You will just find dialog errors in some places, the frequency of which is determined by how broken your install is.
    Post edited by Bubb on
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited May 2017
    *broken dialog.tlk file* may not be an accurate description, it's more that some references in that file no longer match your current install. Things like that happen when you use an old save in a game that you have meanwhile updated with a different mod selection. Or uninstall and re-install stuff but with slightly different order etc.
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Bubb said:

That definitely gives a creepy-madman like quality to the scroll - but just so you know, that is a result from a broken dialog.tlk file.

It is a result from a broken mod-installation - more specifically, the dialog that the scroll is wrongly referencing is from the Kivan and Deheriana Companions for BG2 mod. I do not think it is possible to fix your game without completely redoing the install process, and I am not sure if the save game will be compatible with a new install.

You can still continue to play your current game, of course. You will just find dialog errors in some places, the frequency of which is determined by how broken your install is.

Wow, not sure if that makes it less creepy or more.
    How do you (and all the other geniuses here) know all this stuff?

I know my installs are a bit broken, I don't think the "uninstall" removes everything?

SCS hasn't been working for me properly for a while and just don't know my way round a PC well enough to re download the whole game, put it somewhere (where? the internal geography of my PC is the equivalent of the Amazon basin to me), and then use that new install and start all over again.
    edited May 2017
    The thing about dialog.tlk is that you cannot repair wrong references on a large scale (you can correct/change an individual entry but not the association between the text references -StringRef - used by the game engine and the text to be displayed (the string itself).
    Each mod adding any kind of text (dialogue, names, item description etc) adds those references to the end of the existing dialog.tlk file. How many there are depends on your install. Also, which StringRef represents which text is unique in each install (except for those entries which the vanilla game provides), meaning you cannot exchange them between installs.
    The impact on your game may be large or small, depending on the point where the associations start to deteriorate.
    The only sure cure for it is to delete the current install completely and start new from scratch (Please don't shoot the messenger).
    Or continue and live with the occasional issues.

@PaulaMigrate

When you say "delete the current install" you mean the game itself yes?

I could do that, don't mind losing the current game, then re download from GOG (I just checked and that's doable, I think).
    Would that delete all the saved games, simply because I'd like to import a character from one of them?

And the final question, where can you find out which version of the game would download

This is what it says next to the download
    2.3.67.3 (cs)
    does that mean anything about the version?

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you have whatever launcher you use check or repair the install, that should revert the changes made by mods.
    edited May 2017

@PaulaMigrate

When you say "delete the current install" you mean the game itself yes?

>>Yes, this is what I meant - even if ThacoBell proposed this:

If you have whatever launcher you use check or repair the install, that should revert the changes made by mods.
    I cannot comment on this as I never did this myself.

I could do that, don't mind losing the current game, then re download from GOG (I just checked and that's doable, I think).
    Would that delete all the saved games, simply because I'd like to import a character from one of them?

>>Import a character is ok but do not start playing from a save

And the final question, where can you find out which version of the game would download

This is what it says next to the download
    2.3.67.3 (cs)
    does that mean anything about the version?

>>This is the most recent version so it's fine.

@PaulaMigrate

Hmmm, that's a problem. I don't like the recent versions, don't like the UI, and don't like the sound of the changes when people have discussed them here. Have to have a think about it. I hear there a "steam key" you can get so will look into that.

Thankyou very much for your patience though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It may be technically possible to use older versions of the game but it opens the door for new trouble. Since your intention is to install mods, you need to consider that many mods make use of newer functions introduced with 2,3.
    The probably better way is to use the up-to-date game version compatible with all mods and then look for a *GUI-mod* that allows you to change the look-and-feel of the interface. There are some mods published that allow you to use any of the interfaces in your game and even some new ones.