Skip to content

How good is a 25 strength Char?

SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
Hello guys,

How do you play your fighters? Obviously fighters whom cannot reach 25 strenght with DUHM.
Do you prefer max APR or max strength? or Both?

Pally are very free to go with DUHM and all the weapons you want. Il you play with Belm off hand and Gaun spe, you can reach 10 APR and if you don't mind 10 APR you can just take Foebane and Defendeur for more fun and 8 APR.

For F/C ok you reach 25 strenght but FoA doesn't work with Improuv Haste and you don't need Crom F so much ...

With F/M multi, not dual, if you want max APR and max strenght you are pretty stuck with all the good stuff for your Char: Belm, Crom, gauntlet of spe and you reach 9 APR ...

Swash/F dual, reach 10 ARP easy but do you want 25 strenght with Crom so you cannot play with Foebane?

Ok this is maybe uncorrect, feel free to correct, but my real question is do you always play 25 strenght fighters and how? max APR is better than max strenght?

Thanks
Post edited by Souplesse on

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well obviously a melee warrior wants to max both STR and APR so far as possible.

Which to prioritise is often a RP decision, so there's no fixed rule, but in general I lean a little towards prioritising STR to improve reliability, because APR alone isn't helpful if your extra attack is merely an extra miss.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Strength isn't everything, but it's a lot. Not only doe it help to hit and damage, it allows one to wear heavier armor, use bigger shields and weapons, and carry more loot. It also improves the chances of breaking locks, though that only is an issue in solo runs, to be honest.

If you aren't a front-line fighter it is less important; it helps archers use more powerful longbows, for instance, but for them dexterity is more important. IIRC, the only missile weapons which benefit from strength are throwing daggers and throwing axes; those are not the usual weapon choices for a ranged attacker.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I always favour APR over STR for all characters. One more STR means one more THAC0 and DMG where-as one more APR (or a half) can mean 20 dmg or so.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    I think my maths for the pally are wrong :)
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Strength kind of loses its appeal after you get 19. The jump from 18 to 19 can be huge(as you're essentially skipping all the % strength values) but afterwards it's just +1 hit and damage per point.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    @WatchForWolves
    Yes of course, there is no so much difference after 19 strength. You gain more Tac0 for end fights :)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    If the fighter is the PC then he will probably have DUHM available as a Bhaal power for quite a large chunk of the game anyway. In the later game I would prioritise APR, but I'm also quite fond of Blackrazor - with high APR that will soon boost your strength anyway.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I do RP runs, so I don't worry about stats or APR so much. I do max my primary stats character creation though.